PDA

View Full Version : Color Pencil Challenge for January

Diana Lee
01-02-2007, 05:43 PM
I am not sure of the rules about cross-posting, but I answered the cp challenge and did this gibbon for the color pencil forum. I swear, color pencil and scratchboard were made for each other. The gibbon is on a 9 x 12 smooth claybord colored with prismacolor pencils.

Diana

Bertoni
01-02-2007, 06:50 PM
Diana:
Your Gibbon is sensational. :clap:
CP and scratchboard is something I'd like to be able to do! I'll give it a try!!

Celticelf
01-03-2007, 11:04 AM
Diana, great. I printed this yesterday to do this weekend! Yours is gorgeous.

Celticelf
01-03-2007, 11:12 AM
Second ? - did you color completely prior to scratching? He is gorgeous. Are these prismacolors or oil colors? Did I mention he is gorgeous? :)

Trilby
01-03-2007, 12:54 PM
Dianna, I have to add my gorgeous to all the others. He truly is. I believe this is the nicest rendering of this ref that I've seen. the ref is in my file, too to do some day.
How do yu get the blacks and grey blacks so strong on the clayboard. Mine come out pretty anemic.
TJ

Diana Lee
01-03-2007, 01:29 PM
Thank you people. I have been hitting other forums and seeing familar names. It feels like visiting other neighborhoods in my small town. I suppose that sounds sappy.
TJ...I find that keeping the pencils very sharp helps and crosshatching. I always start my darks with black and then add another color. Some colors just won't go dark, but I find indigo blue works nicely with black. Most browns don't take well. Neither do most violets. It also helps to very lightly sand your board before you get started.

Diana

uuglypher
01-04-2007, 12:36 AM
Absolutely awesome gibbon! Your rendering I mean ...not the gibbon. Probably a perfectly nice fellow,but ... y'see one gibbon, y'seen...

O.K. But SERIOUSLY now...

I have a technical question. There's a formula floating around this forum for homemade scratchboard "clay" that has been ascribed to you (I think): It consists of PVA (white) glue, whiting (finely powdered calcium carbonate), and water soluble white paint (Titanium dioxide??)

If this is your formula are you still using it? And have you done any of your colored pencil-scratchboard works on it? And if so, how'd it work out?

Thanks,
Dave

Diana Lee
01-04-2007, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the compliment. He was really fun to do.
Actually, the formula came from a wondeful artist named John Hagen, I just passed it on. I haven't tried it yet, but a few people here have and, as I recall, they didn't like it.

Diana