PDA

View Full Version : Azul's 2007 sketches, etc.

azulparsnip
01-02-2007, 03:06 PM
Well, it turned out sunny yesterday but chilly. I sat in the car and sketched the confederate soldier. I will be hanging out with this guy for a while.

Nickel
01-02-2007, 07:53 PM
Asulparsnip, I like this :D

N

tyree
01-03-2007, 09:23 PM
really great work on this...which southern general was this???? tyree:wave:

Alecto
01-15-2007, 03:49 PM
Nice sense of perspective -- the monument looks towering.

azulparsnip
01-19-2007, 09:10 AM
Here is the study for Jan. challenge.

tyree
01-19-2007, 03:39 PM
terrific people study...nice movement...great shapes..goya???? tyree:wave:

Nickel
01-21-2007, 04:12 PM
Azulparsnip your drawings are so interesting! I'm asking everyone,
are you keeping these in a book?

azulparsnip
01-29-2007, 10:32 PM
thanks Nickel and yes these are in a sketchbook or a hardbound journal. I like looking at my progress for encouragement.:p

azulparsnip
01-29-2007, 10:36 PM
Goya???no some fellow by the od name of Vrancx - Sebastian Vrancx
and I have a devil of a time remembering it! Hope to get some work done on it tommorrow.

azulparsnip
01-29-2007, 10:38 PM
Oh and sorry I haven't answered sooner Tyree but the statue is of nobody inparticular...like most of the soldiers (and artists :rolleyes: )

azulparsnip
02-01-2007, 09:40 AM
YES!!!!!! I made it. Finished it last night.

Here's the January challenge for me.

Sebastian Vrancx's The blind leading the blind. - in colored pencil

I learned this guys name, the rythm of the figures and garb, and noted how the figure falling in is becoming obscure and enveloped in darkness, and some new colored pencil techniques.

azulparsnip
02-01-2007, 09:40 AM
yep, that's me on the end.

tyree
02-01-2007, 07:14 PM
:wave: azul...what an interesting study...do you have the original that you can post??? id like to see it if you can...great c/p work and good work on those figures..though you are pictured very obscure:p ...tyree:clap: :thumbsup:

azulparsnip
02-01-2007, 07:45 PM
Here is the original Vrancx

Nickel
02-01-2007, 08:17 PM
Yeah! You did a terrific self-portrait!!!
I really like this Azulparsnip!
You worked yourself into this very nicely!

One word of advice!
Watch out who you follow, that first step down is a doozie!:D

azulparsnip
02-02-2007, 09:08 AM
Thanks Nickel -

Tyree - obscure yes, but all the other figures are too. I thought about putting a head scarf on but it was hard to make any sense of it without getting too detailed. I felt like I was loosing my eyesite doing this!!!!

tyree
02-02-2007, 01:59 PM
azul...its a very detailed work..you should be proud...tyree:wave:

azulparsnip
02-19-2007, 12:10 PM
Here's what I've been working on -

two perspective drawings,

one valentine linoleum print a mother/daughter joint project (one more layer to go- will post the finished piece soon) ,

and the drawing and colors for the next linoleum print. comments and criticisims welcome

Thanks for looking :)

tyree
02-19-2007, 03:43 PM
azul...it looks like those perspective classes are really paying off...ive always done it by eye..because it looks so difficult...but look at your drawings..they look perfect...good job..and A+ for trying new things....your mom/daughter valentine has great design to it..very pleasing...the heralding angels..will this be the colours your using..and were you meaning to not have all the angels heads in the frame...it looks to be an excellent piece..alot of work...thanks for showing your work...always enjoyable...tyree:thumbsup: :wink2: :wave:

Nickel
02-19-2007, 09:41 PM
So interesting, I love all of them, colors are really nice! :D
I'll keep looking :)

azulparsnip
02-20-2007, 08:26 AM
Thanks, Susan. I had avoidance reflex when it comes to perspective but not so bad now.

On "The heralds" - hey that sounds like a good title - I wanted the focus to be on the seated figure, I think maybe I should move the seated figure some . They look like they are all on the same plane. I wanted the two heralds on left to be more foreground. Got any takes on this?
On the colors, yes but I need to add more values. I struggle with values and contrast. I think most beginners probably do.

Here's another perspective study and the finished valentine. The scan does not do the valentine justice. I really like the textures of the ink - this I think however is not " PC" for a printmaker .......but I invoke artistic liscence :smug:

Thanks for looking, Nickel. I employed your suggestions in relating to my daughter artisticcally. :thumbsup: We had a good time helping each other to "see" on this little project.

tyree
02-20-2007, 03:48 PM
azul...im having trouble with opening some attachments...when i go to try they only show partial of peoples work..i dont know if its w/c or my computer...i was able to open the finished mom/daughter heart...its very touching and so very well designed..i wish i could get the other to open..because your work in your perspective is so coming along nicely...maybe nickel could help me figure out my problem...tyree:confused: :wave:

tyree
02-20-2007, 06:42 PM
aha our mentor and guide ms nickel...helped me with my attachment problem...thank you...i can now see full scale your perspective drawing in the last post...i think..with being able to do this perspective as well as you are doing...the values and tones will come with it soon...i guess it is just knowing which direction your light source is...i do like the opposites in colour youve chosen for the heralding angels...i would probably go with dark ened angels:evil: but thats me...tyree:wave:

azulparsnip
02-26-2007, 08:20 AM
Here's is February's drawing of the confederate soldier statue - the middle image was the first try, the one on the right the second, and the one on the right the third.

tyree
02-26-2007, 11:07 AM
azul...the third time was the charm...looser drawing..values in him..well drawn...!!!! tyree:thumbsup: much much admiration to you for going out and sketching..bravo...

Nickel
02-26-2007, 10:49 PM
Hey Azulparsnip, like your sketch of the staute! That last sketch
has some nice folds. :D I'm glad you and your daughter had fun.
Nickel:D

Nickel
02-26-2007, 10:51 PM
Can you see this link http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showgallery.php?cat=2 You can also post her work here. It's a special place for our sweeties.

azulparsnip
02-27-2007, 09:16 AM
Thanks Tyree and Nickel

azulparsnip
03-07-2007, 10:18 AM
Here is the evolution of the herald's sketch for a lino cut. Thanks for your input. It was helpful.

Also are two watercolor landscapes - the green one is a step by step demo from a book - I am doing landscapes in prep. for our upcoming trip to Hawaii in April. Our daughter is stationed there with the airforce.:heart:

thanks for looking, ya'll

tyree
03-07-2007, 01:59 PM
azul....hawaii!!! how exciting!!!! thats a plus getting to visit your daughter too!!! are you going to use the heralding angels in the folds challenge this month? it would be a good one...its coming along very nicely...your watercolours are wonderful..especially the mountains..its a great show of light coming along the tops of them...good job...theyre quite the unforgiving medium..i always thought..but i love the transparency of them...tyree:wave:

azulparsnip
03-08-2007, 08:13 AM
that is a good suggestion I hadn't considered . I do need to add value to the white gowns and folds would be perfect.....I'll be working on that today - gee, thanks :D

azulparsnip
03-08-2007, 08:22 AM
Here are a couple more watercolor studies - the river is a study from the watercolor book and the Kumquats is from a still life photograph in a little book titled Passion Fruit somebody in classical forum suggested - who was that??

tyree
03-08-2007, 10:55 AM
azul...in the first painting i like how in the front the plants leaning over the water...and the second one is my favorite ..the glass that is laying down is exceptionally done..i love the whole work....!!! was it our Granby that suggested that book???? i remember something about it...i wish our nickel were here:crying: she would know!!! Great work on these water colours!! tyree:wave:

Nickel
03-08-2007, 01:13 PM
I'm here Susan, I think it was Granby. I still haven't gotten that book but plan too. He was so smart. We certainly adopted him here and we are keeping him. He'd like that I think. I like the iris Azulparsnip, the purple looks just like mine in the spring, and the water in the lake looks good too, a skinny deep on a hot day, hehe ;)

azulparsnip
03-09-2007, 08:14 AM
Thanks, Susan and Nickel -

I got the book used on line for $1.50 or something ridiculous like that.

azulparsnip
03-11-2007, 03:46 PM
A watercolor from a book about Japan

tyree
03-12-2007, 12:07 AM
:thumbsup: :clap: azul...very lovely...i like how your getting the darker shadows in the clothes and all the little detail your adding...ive dabbled a little in watercolour..but not so much in doing people...have a good week!!!! tyree:wave:

Nickel
03-13-2007, 06:12 PM
The Chinese Lady reminds me of Liz Taylor, those dark eyes. It's a lovely painting and I wonder what they are thinking :D Noodles again :)

azulparsnip
04-02-2007, 09:48 AM
Here is March's study of the confederate soldier - a 20 minute study

azulparsnip
04-02-2007, 09:49 AM
March - fold study - Van Eyck

tyree
04-02-2007, 01:18 PM
azul...i notice in your drawings,,your values are getting stronger!!! great work!!!! tyree:wave: :clap: :thumbsup: :wink2:

azulparsnip
04-03-2007, 08:43 AM
gee thanks Tyree, thanks for looking

Nickel
04-03-2007, 10:55 PM
Azulparsnip, your lines are good too! Nice and strong!
The Confederate Soldier is coming along. Like this view.

azulparsnip
04-04-2007, 09:16 AM
Practice on Hawaiian landscape

azulparsnip
04-07-2007, 08:41 PM
a graphite exercise

tyree
04-12-2007, 04:55 PM
we miss you azul in hawaii!!!! :p :heart: !!! wonderful wc practices...and that graphite is particularily good...tyree ...:wave:

Nickel
04-12-2007, 05:07 PM
I agree! :)

we miss you!!!!

Where is our

WISH YOU WHERE HERE POSTCARD???Hahahah!!!!!!

You missed two days of rainy cold weather here.

Today is windy and so-so cool.

azulparsnip
04-30-2007, 09:38 AM
Here's April version of the conferderate soldier -

sing
:music: getting to know you, getting to know all aaaabout you:music:

and here are some photos of the guy

tyree
04-30-2007, 12:46 PM
:eek: well...ill be...i reckon thats one of my cousins!!! :wink2: :lol: :p great pencil work on this soldier azul...terrific values....!!! tyree :wave:

Nickel
05-01-2007, 10:30 AM
Who's getting to know who? :D

azulparsnip
05-27-2007, 04:58 PM
here is the second layer of a reduction cut print - first image is proof

azulparsnip
05-28-2007, 07:41 AM
after Waterhouse

tyree
05-28-2007, 12:20 PM
azul...very impressive...that lino cut is coming along beautifully...and that mermaid..wow...wonderful work...!!!!! tyree :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :heart:

Nickel
05-31-2007, 11:11 PM
Azul the mouth on the mermaid, you did really good!

I meant to tell you that on my last comment about her.

Great fish scales & tail :wave:

And angel are looking good but I don't know, are they smiling,lol, :)

azulparsnip
06-11-2007, 03:52 PM
some 15 & 10 minute sketches of my better half - too lazy to get out the camera so just scanned what I could.....:p

tyree
06-11-2007, 04:18 PM
:clap: :wave: hi azul...really terrific quick sketches...your pencil work is coming along very nicely!!!! :clap: :wave: tyree

Alecto
06-15-2007, 12:46 PM
Hi Azul. I got out of the habit of commenting on threads for a while, so I hope you don't mind if I catch up by talking about some of your older pieces as well. It'll make me feel better, anyway. [guilty look] ;-)

Your "blind leading the blind" is pretty remarkable in that the original had so little detail to work with. I like your take on the colors.

Brave of you to go after perspective practice -- I'm allergic to it myself. :-) The design for the valentine is well done. I know you've already gotten feedback on "the heralds" (a long time ago), but the only thing that keeps me from reading the figures as being on different planes is the upright, forward-facing angel right of center. He appears to be too tall -- being bigger than the figures in front of him confuses the depth. I don't mind that heads are cut off; it reminds me of how when photography really became popular the painters started painting unusually-framed scenes where bits were chopped oddly as you would see in a spontaneous snapshot. I like the colors in this one as well.

For your finished valentine: very pleasing design. Kudos!

Your watercolors are nice. Have you considered going back in with pen & ink and sketching in some details (edges of branches, a few grass blades, some texture, etc.)? Great idea, btw (sketching and painting the scenes from a trip to make a sort of visual travelogue, that is).

The next two watercolors are lovely as well. It looks like you're working rather small. I think the green in the kumquat one works especially well.

The Japan-book watercolor is interesting to me in that the colors seem unusual to my eye, but I feel that they work very well, especially the blue-green next to the red kimono and the chartreuse next to the purple -- perfect compliments!

I can't believe you picked that turban to practice from -- talk about brave! It's nice to see that you're jumping in with both feet.

I can't identify the subject of your graphite exercise, but the forms are intriguing to me. And the play of values is appealing. Even without knowing what it is exactly, I enjoy looking at it. Nice work!

In your second layer reduction cut print of "the heralds", the large empty background and smaller solid white areas work well against the patterned angels' wings. All in all, a pleasing design.

Congratulations on doing short sketches & studies; that's a habit that we could all stand to take up (me especially). Keep it up!

Nice work, Azul!

azulparsnip
06-18-2007, 08:19 AM
well, gee Alecto, thanks for taking the time to look and comment - I changed the heralds piece quite a bit . I too was bothered by the size of the figures being out of sync with perspective. I have a couple more layers of color to print on it .

azulparsnip
06-20-2007, 08:37 AM
Rats!!! I wanted the orange to look blotchy and thick in places BUT the yellow to have details but the speedball ink would not cooperate.......

Hopefully, the last layer of black details will be crisp.

I also learned the name for this is Orange Tamborine. Learning not to force a name on a piece before you are through with it makes me realize/acknowledge that art is alive.

One more layer to go:wave:

Inspiration from Fra Angelico's Christ Glorified in the Court of Heaven

tyree
06-20-2007, 01:16 PM
azul...its looking fabulous....tyree :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

azulparsnip
07-01-2007, 09:24 PM
I met the horse challenge with a study of Albrecht Durer's Four Horsemen of the Apcolypse

Nickel
07-02-2007, 08:39 AM
Yes you did meet the challenge!!!:)
One of your best ......real feeling in this piece!

You really got the motion & action coming across!

azulparsnip
07-02-2007, 11:23 AM
Gee, thanks Nickel

tyree
07-02-2007, 03:33 PM
I have to agree with nickel...its one of your best...very powerful...tyree:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

azulparsnip
07-03-2007, 07:37 AM
Well, thanks Tyree, it is good to be progressing & loving where I'm at too:)

Here's the turtle lino print for the artomat. I want to watercolor it...waiting for the oil based inks to arrive. Gonna stamp/print the boxes today.

Nickel
07-03-2007, 10:30 PM
It will be nice to see the color :)
I like turtles.

azulparsnip
07-05-2007, 07:48 AM
thanks Nickel,
this is a sketch for a wc printmaking challenge on hometown structures- It's a breezeway at the highschool.

tyree
07-05-2007, 02:45 PM
:wave: azul...this is going to be a challenge...great depth!! tyree

Nickel
07-11-2007, 04:58 PM
I like the person, sweet! :)

azulparsnip
08-14-2007, 03:40 PM
YES, I got this done today for the month of August:D

tyree
08-15-2007, 08:20 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: bravo to azul...great sketch too!!!! tyree

azulparsnip
08-16-2007, 08:45 AM
Thanks Tyree

Here is the lino cut of the breezeway

tyree
08-16-2007, 06:02 PM
:wave: :clap: fabulous cut...great design, depth...all those neat shapes...i really really like this!!! tyree:clap: :thumbsup:

azulparsnip
08-31-2007, 08:40 AM
Here is the Hokusai Hawk Nickel posted for the July challenge. I just HAD to do it. I love Hokusai.
The color did not scan well, the blues are nonexistent

tyree
08-31-2007, 08:55 AM
:thumbsup: :clap: azul...really terrific piece..i just love the pose...tyree

Nickel
09-03-2007, 09:24 PM
Perfect :)