PDA

View Full Version : What type of palette for Gouache?

Keith2
01-02-2007, 12:50 AM
I've just started using gouache for a series of colour exercises I'm doing.

I'm not sure what is the best type of palette to use.

I've tried waxed grease proof disposable palettes, and a small plastic palette with six wells, each about an inch wide and half an inch deep. I found that the paint dries too quickly on the paper palette, and there's not enough space on the small plastic palette.

Could anyone please recommend a suitable palette?

pinkrybns
01-02-2007, 04:12 PM
Hi Keith,

I use the small plastic palettes (I have several) you've described, but I also use larger ones that have rectangular wells rather than round ones...works fine for me.
Looks like this:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jan-2007/22382-03014-1075-3ww-l.jpg

Sometimes I also use old ceramic tea-cup saucers and/or dessert plates if I'm mixing large quantities of color, these also work fine and don't cost a thing, eh?!

If you're working for a long period of time, you can take some cling wrap and cover all, or part, of your palette(s) - helps to keep the paint from drying out too quickly.

I also have another plastic palette that has little clear plastic jars with lids. I put the paint in those (or mixes) and they sit in wells along the sides of the palette... then take out what you need and mix further on the center of the palette. It's called the ColorsTo Go palette and I ordered it from Jerry's Artarama in the US, but maybe you can find something similar in the UK?
Looks like this:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jan-2007/22382-ColorsToGoPalette.jpg

Hope that helps a little.

~ Judy

Richard Saylor
01-02-2007, 05:23 PM
I just add a drop or two of water to any color on the palette which seems to be getting too dry while I'm painting.

Richard

pinkrybns
01-02-2007, 08:14 PM
I just add a drop or two of water to any color on the palette which seems to be getting too dry while I'm painting.

RichardYeah, that too ... or you can periodically spritz a fine mist of water over them ...

Keith2
01-03-2007, 03:43 AM
Thank you for your advice - I'll go in town today and buy one.

dbclemons
01-03-2007, 05:05 PM
I have an assortment of lids from plastic containers I've collected that I use as a mixing palettes. Anything that has a lip to keep the wet media from running too far will do fine.

Keith2
01-04-2007, 02:13 PM
Thank you for the ideas.