PDA

View Full Version : XP Pro 64 and Painter IX

Elvira
01-02-2007, 12:50 AM
My husband wants to install XP Pro 64 on my computer, has any used this with Painter IX?
Edie

Chiers
01-02-2007, 04:30 AM
Edie my computer has XP Pro....but don't know about the '64'? I have XP Pro media center edition 2005 and all my programs work fine with it but either psp, or painter, I dont remember which now, would not load because of the Nvida driver. I had to d/l an updated driver then all was fine.

justjean
01-02-2007, 07:59 AM
XP Pro here also and no problems :)

Elvira
01-02-2007, 09:30 AM
Thanks for your replies, I know there is no problem with XP Pro it is the 64 bit version that my question relates to I have been using XP Pro for a couple of years now, but I have a 64 bit dual core processor and my husband wants to upgrade the OS to match. He has found the XP Pro 64 to be much faster and more stable, but he doesn't use Graphics programs and I don't want to change if there are problems.
Edie

jhercilia
01-02-2007, 05:46 PM
Mine is XP Pro 64 and Painter is running without problems, but it's not a dual processor.
Why don't you contact Corel and send them the specs?

Elvira
01-02-2007, 07:35 PM
Thanks Janet, the dual processor is usually a simple driver problem, but it is good to know that Painter works.
Edie

Smokin
01-02-2007, 09:22 PM
I Have XP 64 bit with dual processor and had no issues with painter or Photoshop. I did however have driver issues with numerous other programs and hardware I had that caused me to switch back to the 32bit version of Windows XP pro. The Issues wasnt due to the 64bit version being bad, just a lack of suport for my older hardware like my second video card, tv tuner and scanner and things like that.

One option to take is if you feel a lil weary about switching, is to purchase another cheap HD and load the new OS there until you work out any prob/bugs. Worst case scenario is you have a backup operating system, best case is you dont have to format or lose all that is already setup.

IMO 64bit is not that impressive. Yes it is faster and better for alot of programs like explorer, and especially Photoshop. But if the processor is powerful enough, we are talking a few seconds and milliseconds faster. not substantially.

Elvira
01-02-2007, 09:26 PM
Thanks, Frank, My hubby had the driver problem worked out on this machine when he had it and the hardware is all relatively new, you have just confirmed what I have been able to glean from other forums that I posed the question at.

So tomorrow while I'm at work Alf plans to install XP Pro 64, I'll let you all know how it goes!
Edie

Chiers
01-02-2007, 10:41 PM
Okay, I get it now. My puter is 2.20 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core.
Until now I didn't even know that there was an XP pro 64

Elvira
01-05-2007, 02:58 PM
Well XP Pro 64 is installed and everything works the only glitch so far is it doesn't want to shut down.
Edie