PDA

View Full Version : January '07 Pastel Strokes

michellej
01-01-2007, 09:39 AM
January '07 Pastel Strokes

Hi everyone Happy New Year!
It's my plesaure and privilege to host the first Pastel Strokes for 2007.
Those of you who participated in past months know what to do, but for the newbies, this is what happens:

At the start of the month a host will put up an image in the Pastel Talk forum to be painted (in pastels). This image may be cropped, rearranged, interpreted anyway you want; feel free to experiment. The main thing is to have fun. You may paint as many versions as you like, any size you want. When you are done, you post your work here for comments so we can all share in the fun and learning. (please include size and type of painting ground)

Links are placed in the Oil Pastels and the Soft Pastel Studio forums so please come out and play and have fun with us.
The image for January is:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jan-2007/69167-coconuts.jpg
Have Fun!!

Deborah Secor
01-01-2007, 11:57 AM
Wow, Greta, a really interesting photograph. I like the sort of still life look it gives, yet at the same time I know it's a tree. What are they--coconuts? I'll bet we can have some fun cropping and playing with color on this one. It invites me to try something kind of abstracted or distilled...

Thanks--oh, and Happy New Year, too! :D

Deborah

michellej
01-01-2007, 11:59 AM
Hi Deborah,
Yes they are coconuts. We have two trees in our back yard. i was fooling around with my new camera when I took this shot. just zoomed right in.:)

Pat Isaac
01-01-2007, 12:06 PM
I really like this Greta and hope to get one done this month.

Pat

Constellation
01-01-2007, 12:16 PM
Sounds like fun! Donna

LJW
01-01-2007, 12:18 PM
Greta, I've already decided on the colours and crop on this one. I'm going for my vision of a hot tropical colour scheme. The cold winter grey's outside my window just don't inspire, so thanks for providing a interesting photo and hosting this month's challenge. Jane

michellej
01-01-2007, 12:21 PM
:wave: It's my pleasure Jane! Glad you're joining us.
:wave: Pat thanks so much for joining. Looking forward to seeing the piece you do.
:wave: Hi constellation come join us

sundiver
01-01-2007, 01:09 PM
Lovely bunch of coconuts, Greta!:D Got it saved onto the computer!

michellej
01-01-2007, 04:10 PM
Hi Wendy
Glad you can join us.:wave:

binkie
01-01-2007, 04:51 PM
Looks like a fun project. Hope I have time to get out my Terry Ludwig greens and have a go at it.

Gwen

Juliana
01-01-2007, 06:29 PM
I'm a newbie with soft pastels... but I liked the idea!
I'm in! I'm going to try ;)

LJW
01-01-2007, 08:02 PM
Hi everyone, here's my version using an imagined tropical colour scheme. I enjoyed playing with bright colours on a dull winter day, wishing I were somewhere sunny and warm. Holbein and Sennelier oil pastels on 6" x 8" Terracotta Colourfix paper. Jane

Jo Castillo
01-01-2007, 08:21 PM
This photo looks interesting, I'm in! Thanks, Greta Michelle

Jo

Kathryn Wilson
01-01-2007, 09:06 PM
I loved this photo when Greta sent it to me to look at - there are so many ways to go with this, we will be seeing some amazing work come out of it.

I hope to join in, but it may have to wait until later.

Have fun everybody!

michellej
01-01-2007, 09:20 PM
Kathryn, Thanks for all your help and direction in getting this organised:clap: I can't wait to see all the variations to this piece. I really hope you'll get a chance to take part.

Hi Gwen, Jo glad you're going to join in.

Juliana welcome to WC:wave: . Hope to see your work here. Come on it'll be fun.

Jane You are off with a bang. Nice crop and I do love the colours. You changed them into what we call "Chinese coconuts" Nice:thumbsup:

jshelby
01-01-2007, 09:50 PM
Jane, love the colors. So creative.

Jan

bogbeast
01-02-2007, 11:27 AM
Jane, that's a wonderful interpretation of the photo--I like your crop of it, and love the warm colors!

I'm hoping to get in on this one, but the wde's are a higher priority for now, as they are part of my january goals. I haven't quite figured out yet how I would approach this one, but Jane's crop is inspirational. Of course, I suppose copying it would defeat the purpose...

Pat Isaac
01-02-2007, 11:49 AM
Great interpretation, Jane. I like the sunny warm colors.

Pat

Eric0001
01-03-2007, 05:07 AM
Hi,

Below is my trial. After a brief sketch, I completed it just within my lunch hours (plus some working times:D ). Therefore it is completed in a relatively quick manner.

As usual, I use Oil Pastel and a A4 Paper. I noted Wendy's comments and would tried to use better drawing papers later. For this one, I just want to complete it asap.

Any comments is highly appreciated:wave: .

Eric

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jan-2007/94831-coconut.JPG

Pat Isaac
01-03-2007, 07:37 AM
I like your interpretation of the colors and you did this on your lunch break!

Pat

LJW
01-03-2007, 10:53 AM
Nice job, Eric. I like the vertical orientation emphasizing the height of the tree, and the complementary colour scheme you chose. A very good use of your lunch hour. Jane

michellej
01-03-2007, 02:14 PM
Hi Eric,
Good job!:clap: You got a lot of height there and a sense of space and that red with the green nuts just highlights well.

I may get to mine nxt week after parents conference and test reports.

pequan
01-03-2007, 05:47 PM
thanks for doing this month's project Michelle....it is a great challange...
HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!
love your colors Eric, may have to borrow some of your pastels!!
Jane: yours is really HOT, waving a fan in front of my face....I love it!!

michellej
01-03-2007, 08:20 PM
You're welcome Pequan'
Hope to see your version soon:)

binkie
01-03-2007, 11:25 PM
Jane and Eric, Great work! I just love the different interpretations. This thread is one of my favorites!

Gwen

Jo Castillo
01-04-2007, 12:00 AM
Jane, your warm colors and crop are very exciting. Eric, I agree that the portrait layout gives yours the feel of the tree and your colors are electric.

I hope to do one tomorrow.

Later,
Jo

michellej
01-04-2007, 02:03 PM
Gwen, Jo come on and play with us.Looking forward to seeing your interpretations:)

Eirl
01-04-2007, 07:28 PM
As a newbie I hope to have a go at this. I have had a great time looking through the pastel forums and you all seem so very good it is a bit daunting!
However, nothing ventured etc and it will be so good to get c and c. Thanks for being here .....big smile.

michellej
01-05-2007, 02:27 PM
Hi Eirl Welcome to WC and t ohe Pastel Forum:wave:
Don't let anything stop you from taking part. We were all new at some point, and we would all love to see your work and help you to grow as we grow. So.... Jump In. Get dusty.:) :)

Selahs art
01-05-2007, 05:30 PM
Sounds like fun

I wil try this one

Retha

binkie
01-05-2007, 08:02 PM
Had an hour to spare this morning so gave the coco palm a try. Attempted to make it whimsical; don't think I succeeded. It's still pretty rough but don't know if I'll have a chance to get back to it this month.

Thanks for hosting this month, Michelle!

binkie

Jo Castillo
01-05-2007, 10:53 PM
Had an hour to spare this morning so gave the coco palm a try. Attempted to make it whimsical; don't think I succeeded. It's still pretty rough but don't know if I'll have a chance to get back to it this month.

Thanks for hosting this month, Michelle!

binkie

This may not be whimsical to you, but it certainly put a smile on my face. Fun. Thanks,
Jo

Pat Isaac
01-06-2007, 07:26 AM
It put a smile on my face too.

Pat

binkie
01-06-2007, 12:39 PM
Jo and Pat, you are both too sweet. I've already scrubbed a lot of it off and will find the time to redo it.

binkie

Jo Castillo
01-06-2007, 03:04 PM
Here is my rendition. I'm pleased that it is loose. I did it on Daler-Rowney pastel paper. It has more of a grid on both sides than Strathmore. I don't like the paper, especially for something loose, too many lines of the paper show and it is hard to cover without blending and I was trying not to blend with the fingers. As a note I bought some Daler-Rowney paper at the last IAPS convention in bright colors .. red, navy, yellow, orange, black. It was great. Smooth but held lots of pastel. I bought this new pad of muted colors without looking at the paper, because I thought it would be the same. So sad. So I'm using it for things like this that are just practice. Who knew? Teaches me to check inside the wrapper. Ha.

Jo

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jan-2007/57688-coconuts.jpg

Pat Isaac
01-06-2007, 03:11 PM
I do like the muted colors and your composition.

Pat

binkie
01-06-2007, 04:20 PM
Jo, I like the looseness and how the flow of the curves carry the eye around the painting.

binkie

LJW
01-06-2007, 05:15 PM
Very nice rendition, Jo. I too like the composition and the muted colours. Jane

michellej
01-06-2007, 06:37 PM
HI All, Only just got in and on:)
Binkie your monkey is so cute.
Jo like your composition and the airy feel to the piece...nice
Perel, glad you've decide to join us.

I was looking at my tree this afternoon and commenting on how many different versions of it i'm seeing. You all are doing a good job.:thumbsup:

calice
01-07-2007, 12:56 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jan-2007/92716-coconuts.jpg

Hi! I've enjoyed all the variations on the coconuts. Here is mine. It was fun and I appreciate any comments. This is on grey Canson with mainly Rembrandt and Unison.
Blessings,
Calice:)

pequan
01-07-2007, 10:42 AM
Wow Calice, that is so nice
Jo, great colors-very tropical. I know what you mean about paper, good grief.. I am using up the last two or so sheets of Canson (ICK) ... but am so cheap I hate to throw it out, so I use it in here.
binkie: I thought I had posted my comments on your fantastic monkey/plam painting..but I don't see it.. I had to come back in and re-post,.... what great fun that must have been. I really enjoy it!!!

fortysomething
01-07-2007, 11:31 AM
Hi everybody. It's been a long time since I posted anything. Greta, I love the photo. How nice to have coconuts that compose themselves so beautifully when they have their picture taken. :)

Jane, I love the tropical colors you chose for the coconuts. Juicey.

Binkie, the monkey is adorable. So sad... climbed all the way up there to get a banana and found only coconuts!

Eric, I like the blue sky and the vertical approach. The reddish leaves complement the composition and green fruit very nicely.

Jo and Calice, I really love the soft colors. I wish I used them as effectively. I don't, so I combined Jane's tropical color idea with Deborah's still life/abstract suggestion and ended up with something that resembles a Hawaiian shirt. :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jan-2007/64375-Coconuts.jpg

Pat Isaac
01-07-2007, 11:40 AM
Really like that warm background, Lisa. Looks very tropical. Nice muted tones, Calice.

Pat

LJW
01-07-2007, 12:08 PM
Binkie, I liked your monkey - I'm looking forward to seeing what the revision looks like.
Calice, I like the muted colours and the whispy effect of the foliage. It makes me think of soft tropical breezes.
Lisa, love the hot pink in the background and the colours in the coconuts.
Jane

pequan
01-07-2007, 02:19 PM
home with flu gives me plenty of time to paint, since I can't do much else...UGH
here's my version

pequan
01-07-2007, 02:20 PM
fortysomething! I love your "Hawaiian" Shirt...really looks like coconuts on a very hot summer night with the setting sun...
Linda/Pequan

Pat Isaac
01-07-2007, 02:27 PM
Sorry you have the flu, but you made good use of your time. I like the red touches that you have added to the painting. Gives it zing.

Pat

michellej
01-07-2007, 05:06 PM
Calice That was well done I like the way you maike your colours appear so airy and soft:clap:

Lisa very vibrant and warm I like the contrast.

Pequan Sorry to hear about your flu, but i'm glad that you can get something beautiful out of it. Very nice.I like the depth that you got as well as a sense of height :) This is a smile to cheer you up.

LJW
01-07-2007, 06:44 PM
Sorry to hear you're down with the flu. You did a great job on the challenge despite that. I like the addition of the brighter yellow leaves in the foreground - it creates a sense of depth in the painting. Jane

Alecto
01-07-2007, 08:26 PM
Jane, I really like your close crop. And the colors are just right.

Eric, yours has a wonderful simplicity.

Nice improvisation, Binkie. :thumbsup:

Jo, I like the looseness of yours.

Calice, yours is eerie and atmospheric. Nice!

Fortysomething, your colors blow me away! :clap:

Peqaun, hope you feel better soon. I like your gold and violet combinations.

Well, here's mine. This was amazingly frustrating, but very instructive. Can the next one not be so ... frond-y? :D

[Edit: I forgot to say that it's Rembrandts on 14" x 14" watercolor paper with a bright Cadmium yellow ground -- and it took forever.]

LJW
01-07-2007, 09:40 PM
Oh, Alecto, I love the earth tones you have used here and what fantastic drawing. It may have been frustrating to do, but the result is wonderful. Jane

Jo Castillo
01-08-2007, 01:07 AM
Calice, your painting is so soft and loose. Still it seems so real to me. Hmmm. I like it.

Fortysomething, Lisa?, yours are so bright and exciting. Fun! Hot, too.

Pequan, Linda - Yours are very realistic without every detail, love the colors. Hope you feel better.

Alecto - what lovely soft colors. Time well spent. Very nice.

Jo

Pat Isaac
01-08-2007, 07:40 AM
Frustrating or not , this is a great drawing and your efforts paid off. Love the colors.

Pat

Alecto
01-08-2007, 10:54 AM
Thanks LJW, Jo, and Pat. I'm still kinda trying to work out how best to use these things, but I love their potential for unadulterated color.

Pat, I looked at your website. Great stuff! I've never seen oil pastels that could be mistaken for another medium (that's a compliment -- I wasn't sure after I wrote it if it sounded right; what I mean is you can apparently make them look however you want to, which implies a ton of skill). May I ask which brand(s) you use? And am I correct in understanding that you use a mixed media approach with watercolor underneath?

And that's the end to my questions; I don't mean to sidetrack this thread. Thanks, everyone.

Eirl
01-08-2007, 01:20 PM
Posting my first contribution, hope I get it right! I would appreciate all the help I can get so any comments gratefully received. Bit nerve racking putting up my first effort. I used Conte pencils on water colour paper ( all I had at the time) http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jan-2007/97712-coconut.jpg

pequan
01-08-2007, 03:00 PM
Eril: what a great, free, light and lively interpretation!! I love your style....now you are over the hurdle of posting your efforts for the first time, it really gets easier with each month's project...we don't bite, to hard (most of the time-well never on your first time)
Alecto: yikes, I thought I was looking at a photo, your rendition is amazing..
thanks all for your good wishes and comments on my version....

sundiver
01-08-2007, 03:37 PM
Beautiful work here, everyone!
I started mine last week but am stalled ... maybe will start over. You've all provided lots of inspiration!

calice
01-08-2007, 05:49 PM
Alecto,
I love your colors and realism. It would look nice in my living room!
Calice

Eirl
01-08-2007, 06:31 PM
Pequan , thank you for your comment. Greatly relieved to hear that biting is gentle!! I am glad my first hurdle is over, think I worried more about actually uploading it correctly but the instructions were great.

michellej
01-08-2007, 07:11 PM
Hi everyone
Wow!
Alecto Nice job on the challenge We will try to make it less frondy next time:lol: I love the colours you used and the way you blended them... very neat( not my first choice of words) You got a nice colour harmony going.

Eirl great use of line. I agree with Pequan very loose Nice.

Mine is coming up soon. I am finally able to go back to my dust:D

binkie
01-08-2007, 11:28 PM
I apologize for not commenting on each painting individually. I typed up individual comments 4 times and each time I clicked send I was kicked off the net. Therefore, if this replay sends I want to say WOW to each and every one of the interpretations; they are ALL so beautiful and artistic. I hope some of the talent here rubs off on me.

Kudos!!!!

binkie

Jo Castillo
01-09-2007, 12:44 AM
Eirl,
This is very fresh looking. Using just a few colors and strokes you have represented the coconuts very well. Good job.
Jo

Mary Brigid
01-09-2007, 04:16 AM
Well done everyone on your great work.
Eirl congratulations on posting your first work here. Your drawing skills are very good and I just love the lovely loose style you have. Everyone here on WC are so helpful with their c/c you need neever worry about posting your work. I am looking forward to seeing more of your work
Regards to all
Mary Brigid

Pat Isaac
01-09-2007, 07:44 AM
Eirl, nice use of color and a nice free sketch.

Pat

Eirl
01-09-2007, 12:35 PM
Thank you very much indeed for the comments. It is so inspiring to see the different treatments of the subject. Looking forward to the February one now!

michellej
01-09-2007, 02:03 PM
Good for you Eirl. That's the spirit!

Donna T
01-09-2007, 08:48 PM
Hello pastel people! Is there room for another newbie? I have been doing pastels for about a year and have learned so much from all of you. This is my first time posting on WC! and I thought I'd give those coconuts a try. My goal is to loosen up and use a little more creative license. This is on Art Spectrum, variety of "softies", about 11x14in. I welcome all comments and any advice will be greatly appreciated! Donna T.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jan-2007/97763-Coconut03-1.jpg

pequan
01-09-2007, 09:11 PM
Donna, that is absolutely gorgeous. great colors...glad you decided to post and hope you continue to do the monthly projects...looking forward to seeing more of your stuff..

CM Neidhofer
01-09-2007, 09:34 PM
Great colors, Donna!

Christine

Jo Castillo
01-10-2007, 12:47 AM
Donna T, the only advice I can give is to keep posting so we can see your beautiful work. Lovely colors.
Jo

fortysomething
01-10-2007, 06:26 AM
Linda/pequan, I love the realistic rendering. Good contrast and use of color. :thumbsup:

Alecto, it may have taken forever to complete, but it was well worth the wait. It just glows! Excellent use of color. :clap:

Eirl, you've captured those coconuts on paper with only a few strokes of pastel. Great job! Accurate drawing perspective, and good use of color. :cool:

DonnaT- WOW! I just love the colors in this. Welcome to WC! and hello from a fellow Marylander. :wave:

-Lisa

Pat Isaac
01-10-2007, 07:57 AM
Great use of color! Welcome.

Pat

Eirl
01-10-2007, 10:16 AM
Donna , that is just fabulous.

Alecto
01-10-2007, 10:31 AM
Donna, wow! Absolutely love your color, the crop, and the way you used your space!

LJW
01-10-2007, 12:06 PM
Eirl and Donna, great work from new members. The monthly challenge is a lot of fun - you get to compare interpretations and styles. Eirl, nice loose drawing. Donna, I love your colours and the sense of light you achieved. Jane

michellej
01-10-2007, 06:32 PM
Donna Beautiful! and there is always room for one more
This was a very nice interpretation. I especilly like the use of the complimentary colour schemes: the purples and yellows and the reds and greens. You did a nice job with the shadows and highlights also and you have a nice sense of space. Bravo!:clap:

michellej
01-10-2007, 06:34 PM
I must say again that everyone is doing a fantastic job. Keep it up.

Constellation
01-10-2007, 08:25 PM
Here is my "Lovely Bunch of Coconuts"... on 9 X 12 Colorfix paper in a dark grey/blue color. I'm wondering if it needs some warm colors somewhere.... C and Cs welcome..... Donnahttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jan-2007/72213-Lovely_Bunch_of_Coconuts.jpg

Pat Isaac
01-10-2007, 08:46 PM
Lovely, has a nice moon glow feel to it.

Pat

Jo Castillo
01-10-2007, 10:02 PM
Donna, that does look like moonlight. Very nice.
Jo

Constellation
01-11-2007, 09:47 AM
Thanks Pat and Jo.... moonlight had never entered my head.... I was working at bringing up the hi-lights, what an added bonus I got! There are some really delightful and different interpretations of that photo.... I've really enjoyed looking at them, what a fun excersize this has been. LOL Donna:clap:

Alecto
01-11-2007, 10:45 AM
I too think that your coconuts seem to be in a subtly illuminated night scene. I'm rather taken with seeing something I think of as warm depicted in such cool tones. Nice!

LJW
01-11-2007, 11:47 AM
Donna, a very nice nocturnal feel to this "lovely bunch of coconuts". I like it the way it is - a unique interpretation. Jane

michellej
01-11-2007, 02:01 PM
Donna those coconuts are indeed glowing. They seem to me to be coming right off the paper. Really nice.

pequan
01-11-2007, 04:00 PM
lovely bunch of coconuts for certain, Donna!

ArtsyAngel
01-11-2007, 08:21 PM
Hi All...Newbie to the pastel forum here, and I really am looking forward to "playing" with ya'all with the monthly pastel strokes. This one looks great...a lot of creative expression can go in here...look out!! :p :lol:

Jann :angel:

ArtsyAngel
01-11-2007, 08:25 PM
By the way, Donna....I love your interpretation and the work...it's just lovely! What a wonderful ethereal mood you've captured!

Jann :clap:

BOHEMIANTINKER
01-11-2007, 11:15 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jan-2007/51054-IMG_2369.jpg

Hello,

I am a little lost around here and fear I have been posting on sites I was not apart of. I just wanted to celebrate my first little painting in nearly 2 months since I ahve been out of commission. It is not an original composition since I used a photo from the website but it was still so much fun to paint. I have tweaked it and darkened the shadows since yesterday but still was a fun day!

Happy New Year to All!

Kelli

michellej
01-13-2007, 06:21 PM
Hi Kelli,
Welcome to pastel talk. I love your flower and celebrate with you the return to painting.:clap: I hope you'll be able to take part in our pastel challenge for this month. I would love to see what you do with it.:)

*Violet*
01-13-2007, 07:10 PM
hello all ... and a big welcome to the newbies ... what wonderful renditions of that reference picture you *all* have done !! ... i will confess ... i was too intimidated by it to give it a try ... i consider myself imagination handicapped and know i would not have been happy with whatever i did with it ... i sure wish i had the imagination that you folk have ... i could start one now and work from one of the submitted ones !! ... :lol: ... just kidding ... but seriously ... i'm truly impressed with what has been created ... you all should pat yourselves on your backs ... :thumbsup:

BOHEMIANTINKER
01-13-2007, 07:24 PM
I would love to - where do i go to get the challenge pics or information? I have an open schedule so would love to participate.

Thanks for the invite!

BOHEMIANTINKER
01-13-2007, 07:29 PM
OKAY I FOUND THE PHOTO BUT AM NOT SURE I AM UP TO THAT ONE- BUT I MIGHT GIVE IT A TRY - NO PROMISES NOW THAT I HAVE SEEN HOW COMPLICATED IT IS!

Thanks ,

Kelli

michellej
01-13-2007, 09:21 PM
Don't worry. Judging by the flower I think you'll do a great job.:thumbsup: And remember, you have the creative license to crop or rearrange
So....Go For It!

pequan
01-14-2007, 08:11 PM
Violet you can do it and do it really well......hope to see your rendition soon...HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YA.....
________
Linda/Pequan

Yvette Bowles
01-18-2007, 12:05 PM
Hi Greta, I am a newbie that dissapeared for a few months "moving house and feeling a bit lost because of it", but seeing your picture of the coconuts its wonderfull, it certainly cheered up a wet and very windy day here in the U.K. I am deffinately in, I have started my picture and really enjoying it :heart: thank you.

Yvette

michellej
01-18-2007, 02:11 PM
HI Yvette, Welcome:wave:
Looking forward to seeing your rendition soon

michellej
01-18-2007, 05:58 PM
Okay, Finally got to do mine.
I cheated a little. I didn't do mine from the photo but from the actual tree:evil:
I tried to be quick so I wouldn't lose the light. I think it needs a little more contrast on the coconuts. what do you think?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jan-2007/69167-Art_Portfolio_024.jpg

BOHEMIANTINKER
01-18-2007, 06:15 PM
I love all of the air and movement that you got into this piece and I agree with you, some darkening to turn the coconuts and maybe even deep inside the bunch to create a feeling of weight and depth would be perfect!

I thought this picture looked so difficult that I switched over to the virtual drawing forum this month to avoid painting it - Good for you for accomplishing it!

Thanks for sharing!
Kelli

Pat Isaac
01-18-2007, 06:23 PM
How nice to be able to do it from the original reference. I do agree about having a larger value range.

Pat

Jo Castillo
01-18-2007, 06:25 PM
Okay, Finally got to do mine.
I cheated a little. I didn't do mine from the photo but from the actual tree:evil:
I tried to be quick so I wouldn't lose the light. I think it needs a little more contrast on the coconuts. what do you think?

Michelle,

Your drawing is great with descriptive strokes. I agree that darkening the shadows would make it really pop. I would put a more reddish dark as the complimentary color to the green. Lucky you to get to do a plein air. :)
Jo

calice
01-19-2007, 12:05 AM
Michelle,
That really looks like a coconut tree! I agree about deeper shadows. How about a different background- a sunset sky? Just an idea.
Calice

Yvette Bowles
01-19-2007, 10:43 AM
:wave: Hello, I have finished my version, I really enjoyed this project....thanks so much :) I did it on my Daler-Rowney A4 cream colour paper.
I am enjoying seeing every-one's pictures,and am picking up good tips. Thanks for the opportunity to joy in :clap:

Yvette

Alecto
01-19-2007, 10:49 AM
Are you missing an attachment, Yvette? :)

Yvette Bowles
01-19-2007, 10:51 AM
oops, didnt attach my picture!
Here it is:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k202/Yvette_073/Coconuts.jpg

BOHEMIANTINKER
01-19-2007, 11:32 AM
BEAUTIFUL COLOR & COMPOSITION!

Thanks for sharing!

Kelli

Pat Isaac
01-19-2007, 04:07 PM
This has such a great sense of light.

Pat

calice
01-19-2007, 04:24 PM
I like the contrasting colors and curving lines!
Calice

michellej
01-19-2007, 06:21 PM
Yvette,
Lovely I agree with Pat. Great sense of light. Well done!:clap:

pequan
01-19-2007, 08:42 PM
Yvette...very very nice...love the leaves
Michelle: great painting, I agree more values will make it pop even more....

Jo Castillo
01-20-2007, 12:17 AM
Yvette, very nice leaves and over all look. Colorful, too.

Jo

Yvette Bowles
01-20-2007, 11:55 AM
Ah thankyou everyone for your comments, :) much appreciated :thumbsup:, I am looking forward to seeing all the others coming up :)
Will we be doing another one next month? I thoroughly enjoyed the project....thanks so much :heart:

Yvette

Deborah Secor
01-20-2007, 01:54 PM
I just noticed that it's Jan. 20th already! How did this month slip by so fast??? I've been enjoying the artwork here so much. Isn't it fun sharing interpretations of the photo? I've occasionally held a class where we all painted from the same photo like this--I'm always amazed at the number of different colors, the crops people do, and the different look to each one!

Since February is creeping up on us I thought I'd come in here and see if there's someone who would like to host the next Pastel Strokes thread!? All you need to do is PM me and send along your photo (or a couple, if you aren't sure what to use) for the Pastel Team to view. We'll sort out who will do what, if more than one of you volunteers, too. It's a fun thread to host, especially since so many people take part. Let me, or any or the Pastel Team members, know if you can help out next month...

Meanwhile, we have another week and a half to see your paintings of the coconuts, so I hope more of you will show us work! (I'm ducking out now...really busy with selling my house, three classes a week, and a new ministry that's forming...but if I find time I'll try to get to this one!)

Thanks! :wave:

Deborah

Deborah Secor
01-22-2007, 11:48 PM
Was it something I said??? You could hear a pin drop in here! :wink2:

Deborah

Eirl
01-23-2007, 07:18 PM
I am not sure if I should be posting this; I had an outbreak of colour and sort of used the Coconuts to play with. If it is too extreme please tell me. It was too big for the scanner so I just cut out a part of it! http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jan-2007/97712-coconut.jpg

Jo Castillo
01-23-2007, 07:28 PM
Eirl, It looks like you had a good time. This is certainly colorful and has an abstract look. Very nice. I looked at your lovely gardens, you have plenty of floral refrences to work from. :) Hope to see more postings of your work.

Deborah, I'm hosting a scavenger hunt in February so don't think I can comment on both forums as I'm working on a show for March as well. Maybe April.

Jo

Deborah Secor
01-23-2007, 11:52 PM
You sound pretty busy, Jo! If April will work out for you, that would be great--thanks!

These monthly Pastel Strokes threads are really fun and we want to encourage all of you to take one on at some point, if you can. It's not hard, and it's really fun to see what people do with one of your own photos, too. If you're sorta thinking about doing it but don't want to make any commitments, why not just PM Greta (michellej) and ask her how much she had to do...

Hey, last month we had a neat post with all the photos in one--Violet, didn't you do that??? It would be fun to see it here, too... :D Just hoping!

Deborah

*Violet*
01-24-2007, 01:55 AM
i'll try and get one ... getting ready for a vacation so 101 things to do ... won't be posting until after feb 4 but am looking forward to the next project image ... :)

Pat Isaac
01-24-2007, 07:03 AM
Eirl, What a riot of color and I like the abstract feel.

Pat

Deborah Secor
01-24-2007, 03:14 PM
:wink2: We have a host for next month--Bhavana is going to do it for us! I've been treated to her photo already and trust me, you are gonna love it! Thanks, Bhavana...

Oh, hey, Violet, no sweat! If this is too much to do right now, we all understand. Don't even worry about it. You just spoiled us when you were our host. :heart: Enjoy your vacation!

Deborah

michellej
01-25-2007, 01:31 PM
Hi everyone,
Sorry I haven't been around. Flu bug going around and apparently everyone in the house thought it would be fun to get it:mad: (NOT) So I was the last to go. I held out for as long as I could though before I was struck.

Eirl I am glad to see you're enjoying this photo Great Job! very colourful. I like.:clap:

As for hosting Jo I think it's a great experience. The hardest part is deciding what photo to use. The rest is a breeze since everyone does great work. You just make sure you look at everyones work. I recommend everyone do it at least once, to get the experience:thumbsup:

Anyway, going back to bed now can't do much yet except rest.

Pat Isaac
01-25-2007, 01:34 PM
Sorry you are ill, Michelle. :( Take care.
I hope to get my piiece in before the end of the month.

Pat

pequan
01-26-2007, 05:02 PM
sorry you got the bug Michelle...hope I didn't give it to you......GET WELL SOON....

michellej
01-28-2007, 06:27 PM
Hey!
Where did everyone go?:confused:

Ruthmarie
01-29-2007, 04:03 AM
This is my attempt. LOL. My husband said it looked like abstract lollies.
15cmx15cm, Derwent pastel pencils on Art Basics black pastel board. Ruth

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jan-2007/98519-coconuts.jpg

Pat Isaac
01-29-2007, 08:05 AM
It does have an abstract feel and I like your use of the complimentaries.
What are lollies???
Pat

Ruthmarie
01-29-2007, 03:39 PM
Thanks Pat. Lollies are candy. Maybe the word derives from boiled lollies something like rock candy. Ruth

Jo Castillo
01-29-2007, 05:28 PM
Ruthmarie, lovely abstract feel and colors. Nice to look at, comfy for an abstract. :) We have hard candy on a stick called lolly pops, so that may be close.

Jo

Pat Isaac
01-29-2007, 05:30 PM
I thought that maybe they were like our lollipops....

Thanks, Pat

calice
01-29-2007, 06:36 PM
Ruthmarie,
The colors and swirls make me feel happy! Maybe that feeling is associated with candy:)
Calice

michellej
01-29-2007, 07:54 PM
Hey Ruthmarie
Very nice. Abstract but not confusing. I like it and i agree with Calice the swirls do make me feel happy:)

Ruthmarie
01-29-2007, 10:10 PM
Thankyou Jo, Calice and Michelle. My favourite colours, after purple. Think I might get my husband to frame it and see what it looks like then LOL.
Got to start somewhere. Thanks again Ruth

pequan
01-29-2007, 10:34 PM
pretty painting ruthmarie..... looks like you had fun doing it... great colors.

Pat Isaac
01-30-2007, 04:49 PM
Well, I finally managed to get in here under the wire. I actually cut the top of the painting off as I felt it wasn't needed. This is an OP using senns and holbeins on dark blue colorfix, about 9"x 10".
Pat
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jan-2007/35760-coconuts.jpg

Ruthmarie
01-30-2007, 06:22 PM
Beautiful rendition Pat. Ruth

Jo Castillo
01-30-2007, 06:29 PM
Oooooo, Pat. Worth the wait. Nicely done.
Jo

michellej
01-30-2007, 07:17 PM
Pat this was well worth waiting for. Beautiful.
The complements with the purple- gorgeous. What a wonderful end to what has been a great month of work from everyone

To all who participated in this month's pastel challenge let me just say again:

GREAT JOB GREAT WORK!!!!!!:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Hope we can do this again sometime soon:)

Eirl
01-30-2007, 07:18 PM
Pat that picture is stunnnnnning.
Elizabeth

LJW
01-30-2007, 07:29 PM
Pat, I agree this is stunning. Wonderful colours and a great crop. I didn't get to comment on everyone's work, but all the paintings were very well done and the original photo led to lots of interesting interpretations. So thanks, Michelle, for hosting January's challenge. Jane

Pat Isaac
01-31-2007, 07:33 AM
My thanks also to you Michelle for hosting and thanks everyone for your nice comments.

Pat

michellej
01-31-2007, 02:51 PM
Thank you all for the support.:clap: You are all welcome :)

bruce johnson
01-31-2007, 04:21 PM
Top job Michelle:clap: :thumbsup: and great work everyone.. :clap:

Deborah Secor
01-31-2007, 05:06 PM
Greta, thank you so much for taking this thread on at kind of the last minute! We all appreciate it a lot... I'm sorry I haven't had the time to comment more on all the paintings, but obviously things were in good hands! :D

We have the next three months lined up already, thanks to Bhavana who will take next month, Donna T who's doing March, and CJ will help us out in April! I just love that you have all come forward to volunteer! What a great forum. Thanks to you all...
:clap:

I'm sworn to secrecy, but you are gonna LOVE February, too!! See ya over there!

Deborah

BOHEMIANTINKER
01-31-2007, 06:21 PM
I AM GETTING SO EXCITED TO SEE FEBUARY- MAYBE I SHOULD STAY UP UNTIL MIDNIGHT AND HOPE THE NEW PIC IS POSTED AT THE STROKE OF 12AM!!!:lol:

BOHEMIANTINKER
02-06-2007, 09:14 PM
Has the new project been posted? If so where do we locate the photo?

Thank you,

Kelli

Kathryn Wilson
02-06-2007, 09:19 PM
It's located here in the Pastel Talk forum:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=398729

BOHEMIANTINKER
02-06-2007, 09:27 PM
Thank You I have Printed off the pic and am so excited about this image - it should be a really fun challenge!

Thanks again,

Kelli

Eric0001
02-07-2007, 08:59 PM
Hi,
I try to gather all entries within one image below. I hope you can enjoy it. There are different approaches and interpretations for the same photo.

Eric

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Feb-2007/94831-JanCollection.JPG

Eric0001
02-07-2007, 09:09 PM
Hi,

Sorry for my mistake. Due to filename extension, I miss one entry. I hope below is a complete one.

Cheers,
Eric

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Feb-2007/94831-JanCollect.JPG

Eric0001
02-07-2007, 09:19 PM
A better and a final one (I hope). I have tried.....:wave:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Feb-2007/94831-JanCol.JPG

*Violet*
02-08-2007, 12:52 AM
they look great together !! ... love all those different interpretations !!

Kathryn Wilson
02-08-2007, 07:22 AM
Eric, thanks so much for doing this for us - they look great altogether like that - almost makes a painting unto itself.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Pat Isaac
02-08-2007, 08:04 AM
Thanks, Eric. Awesome....

Pat

Jo Castillo
02-08-2007, 12:09 PM
Eric, Thanks so much. It is fun to see them all together. Wow.
Jo