PDA

View Full Version : NewB

drippypaw
12-31-2006, 11:16 AM
Hi,

I just joined this group and wanted to say hello.

DrippyPaw

TessDB
01-01-2007, 07:58 AM
Hi, Drippy! :wave: Welcome to wc!

I hope you'll post & share some of your work soon!

Tess

miek37
01-03-2007, 05:53 PM
Hi! Welcome and I am waiting to see some calligraphy that people are doing, are there some tutorials hiding out somewhere? Any info on inks, pens, papers, etc. etc. Maybe forum is just too new for all that so far! Helen

TessDB
01-04-2007, 07:29 AM
Hi, Helen!

I would *love* to have some tutorials & examples of works in the forum. It is pretty new, and the traffic isn't that brisk... And in the interest of Illuminated texts, I've flooded the place with Celtic stuff. :lol:

If you have examples or works to share, please do! Even ones you don't consider all that good. I tend to learn more from what *doesn't* work than what does. :rolleyes:

Tess

miek37
01-04-2007, 10:06 AM
Tess! Many thanks for the quick reply! O! How I wish I had an example of the Christmas envelope failure that happened last month! It was Dec 15, the client wanted 55 envelopes hand addressed in a modified Old English (Of course, the Post Office frowns on too fancy a font; their machines can't read them they say) The client had already had the envelopes return address embossed on the back flap. Now, not having time to test the paper with my pens, inks, etc I had to have them back to her by Monday Dec 18 when I began to ink the addresses the edges of the letters "fuzzed" plus there were two different kinds of paper used for the envelopes, half were smooth and half of them had a tiny ribbed texture! Talk about nightmare! Now, I wish I had just run them through my computer with a simple Flourish font and have been done with it, talk about nerve racking, plus some of the cards were to go to The Netherlands, England and Singapore!!! So, if anyone takes on the job of hand calligraphy on envelopes tell the client all that it entails and never never take a "rush job"! All my best, Helen

TessDB
01-05-2007, 08:26 AM
Yipes! what a nightmare!

Do you have any examples of other work you've done? Since this *is* the calligraphy forum, it would be nice to have some, um, calligraphy showing here! :lol:

Tess

miek37
01-05-2007, 10:41 PM
In fact, just bought more cartriges for my fountain pen, also use the felt tip chisel pens (if they are good ones) for quick stuff. I am about to start preparations for a "Take A Sample" event at our art store where people can see and try out some basic strokes, get some pens, paper, quidelines, etc. and see if they want to continue studying with me. I teach under a program I named "ART a la cART" where the student can chose the day and time best for them and we met at the art store (it has two wonderful classrooms plus a wonderful pottery workshop in the back). So far, it has worked wonderfully well, and the freedom of just "making an appointment to study" suits people so nicely. Anyway - back to calligraphy - 45 years ago when first married I did all our Christmas envelopes in Old English font. Our friends and relatives loved them and would put the envelope up with the card to display for the holidays. As I said, the post office put a damper on that!! But, I have and still do poems, invitations, place cards for tables, greeting cards, etc. I'm sorry I don't have any examples on hand to put on here for you right now, happily they all were bought!!! More later Helen

TessDB
01-06-2007, 06:54 AM
I'm sorry I don't have any examples on hand to put on here for you right now, happily they all were bought!!!

Maybe next time you're just noodling around or practicing something you'll remember our lonely little forum and post? :lol:

Tess