PDA

View Full Version : latest piece 5x7 poodle

Rosie_Posie
12-30-2006, 08:01 PM
Hi, haven't posted in a while. Been extremely busy with school and holidays and friends and such.
Here's my latest scratchboard piece.
It's 5x7, my mom's black poodle Myshkin. (Boy do those curls get tedious) I got a new digital camera for christmas and haven't quite mastered it yet, so I apologize for the terrible photo. It's the clearest one I got.

Basically with this one I just wanted to see how hard poodle hair would be to scratch. Not as bad as I thought, but I have to remember to do as little as possible to get the effect, because I don't want him to look like a grey poodle. If i were more patient the fur would look better, but alas.:rolleyes: lol in my defense he was desperately in need of a grooming at the time the ref. photo was taken...
Andrea

C&C always welcome... it's how we learn, right?http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Dec-2006/82932-misc._003.jpg

Trilby
12-30-2006, 08:46 PM
Nice composition and a beautiful poodle. If I may make a suggestion: light depends on dark and vice versa, even with a black animal. If yu would really brighten where the light hits along the front of the ear, the top of the muzzle and the top not of hair I think this would really pop and look more black.
TJ

Diana Lee
12-31-2006, 11:35 AM
Sweet poodle. You have faded him nicely into the background. I always tell people "Less is More" in black scratchboard. I agree with TJ, a bit more in the highlights with what you already have going in the shadows would give this sweet dog more dimension.

Is this a gift for your mom?

Diana

Bertoni
12-31-2006, 11:42 AM
Cute looking poodle...and so true what Diana said about "less is more"...:thumbsup: Thinking about that concept will help me with the one I'm doing now!!!

Dave Slaughter
12-31-2006, 01:49 PM
Looks great to me. Black animals are hard - I think you've done well.

brushandknife
01-01-2007, 09:32 AM
Nice job. He's "all there", yet you didn't "outline" him. Keep up the good work.
Carol

Rosie_Posie
01-01-2007, 10:13 PM
Thanks for your comments TJ, Diana, Bertoni, Dave, and Carol! I appreciate every single one.
I took into account the suggustions made and I brightened the front of his ears, and his top not, and the top of his muzzle. I'm afraid I over-highlighted his top not though... I hope I didn't ruin it! It's dark out now so I can't take a picture of it but I will try to remember tomorrow.
Thank you all for your kind and constructive comments!
Andrea

Rosie_Posie
01-02-2007, 07:30 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jan-2007/82932-artwork_001.jpg

Mirek Sledz
01-02-2007, 08:09 PM
I love dogs..sweet puddle:) my dog is dachshund but I seldom paint him:rolleyes: Great idea..

Trilby
01-02-2007, 11:27 PM
I don't think you overdid a thing, but if you feel you did yu can apply a diluted wash of Higgins black magic india ink diluted to about 33% strength and then scratch back in as needed. I personally don't think this is needed. Your beautiful poodle really shines now.
TJ

Obedec
01-02-2007, 11:37 PM
I agree with Trilby.
Karen

Rodman
01-06-2007, 08:50 PM
I love dogs....you know...if they cook them right....JOKING!!! looks good..thanks for posting....Rod-Man

Rosie_Posie
01-06-2007, 09:55 PM
Thanks so much for commenting!
Thanks TJ, and Karen for your reassurance... I was very nervous that I had ruined it!
LOL Rod-Man! Thanks a lot!
Mirek, thanks for commenting!
Andrea