PDA

View Full Version : Twelve Monthly Challenges~Jan 2007

Nickel
12-30-2006, 07:38 PM
Twelve Monthly Challenges~Jan 2007

First member to post in the first week of the current journey
month’s thread gets to submit

A challenge to other members.

You got to try and meet the challenge if you can.
Each Month’s challenge will have it’s own thread.

Good Luck! Have Fun!

Sincerely Nickel

Nickel
12-31-2006, 02:43 PM
I put a list in the journey 53 thread. Somebody pick one!
I need a good challenge. :D Nickel

Nickel
12-31-2006, 04:12 PM
happy new year everyone!!!!! Now lets see...i guess im first????? How about the first challenge being a self portrait, done in the baroque period, any medium, any size...you may put yourself in one of the masters paintings, if you like...hope this might be interesting to you all!!!! tyree

Thanks Susan! Get ready, set, go! :D Nickel

PushingPixels
12-31-2006, 09:50 PM
you're on.... im off to stretch out on a divan with a rose in my teeth. I'll have to get my hubby to shower me with gold, LOL

Nickel
12-31-2006, 10:51 PM
hehe, Barb, when you are done with the divan, can you lend it to me, I got a rose and a hubby, no gold but some baking flour, :evil: N

artbyjune
01-01-2007, 03:08 AM
What fun!! I hope I can join in with this one.

Alecto
01-01-2007, 11:39 AM
This sounds both fun and a tad intimidating. So how does this work? I have until the last day of January to complete and post my results? And that's done in this thread? Is it possible (permissible) to turn my piece into a WIP if I feel like I need help? And if so, can I assume that a new thread would be started for that? Thanks for any help!

Shehaub
01-02-2007, 07:51 AM
This sounds like a fantastic challenge. I am in!

artbyjune
01-02-2007, 12:32 PM
I made a start (for fun). :D

I couldn't resist those monkey and cat paintings by Teniers. I had a quick go at a couple of drawings this afternoon. I think I will work away on drawings for a while...taking inspiration from Teniers and maybe also Rembrandt. (So my posts are WIPs.)

I'd like to learn about drama and chiaroscuro...because I haven't really delved into those aspects in paitning/drawing. So this is a great opportunity to try that out.

These 2 drawings are 8 by 10, on cartridge.

1. Barbershop monkeys (inspired by Tenniers, barbershop with monkeys and cats)

2. Animal artist outdoors

The self-portrait part in the barbershop is the female entering at the door. In the second it is the female sitting with the palette and brushes.

They are not realistic by any means...more fantasy. I may do a realism style for my final painting as I have photos of myself with monkeys somewhere...Possibly, I'll try my final one in egg tempera.:wave:

azulparsnip
01-02-2007, 03:02 PM
Ah, June these are lovely -

azulparsnip
01-02-2007, 09:06 PM
Can't help but say it again - June those are sooo neat.

Here's what I'm gonna do - The Blind Leading the Blind -
Sebastian Vrancx

PushingPixels
01-02-2007, 10:03 PM
I made a start (for fun). :D
These 2 drawings are 8 by 10, on cartridge.

1. Barbershop monkeys (inspired by Tenniers, barbershop with monkeys and cats)

2. Animal artist outdoors

The self-portrait part in the barbershop is the female entering at the door. In the second it is the female sitting with the palette and brushes.
.:wave:

I'm loving this one so far!!! Very inventive!!!:rolleyes:

Café LoLa
01-03-2007, 11:18 AM
Sort of like Caravaggio's painting of David and Goliath (artist's portrait is David's head)? That kind of style?

artbyjune
01-03-2007, 01:42 PM
Many thanks for the comments. I really had fun, especially with the barbershop. And looking forward to seeing everyone's work for the challenge...

tyree
01-03-2007, 09:19 PM
junebug...these are absolutely fabulous...mesmerizing little drawings!!!!!:clap: :clap: :clap: azul....this is an interesting pick....where will you be????? tyree

Granby
01-04-2007, 05:51 PM
Hi everybody -

June - great sketches, can't wait to see how this progresses.

Nice pick Azul - that is going to be some work for sure...

Tyree - looking forward to you Vermeer effort..

Ok - all my favorite baroque stuff involves female nudes which rules out a lot of options for me. Thought I would try something original - self as pirate opening treasure chest. Rough sketch with some chiaroscuro photoshopped in (plus some artistic license on the self part ).

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jan-2007/81936-Pirate_Try.jpg

Does this look baroque - or just completely ridiculous?

tyree
01-04-2007, 08:03 PM
granby....it looks very very interesting and a neat idea to boot!!!! tyree:wink2:

artbyjune
01-05-2007, 06:53 AM
Hi Granby, great idea. Looking forward to seeing it develop.

LanK
01-06-2007, 06:12 PM
I am pretty new to WC, and have been over in the portraiture area working out some problems with my first set of portraits. I have been preparing to start a selp portrait - inspired by the artists selp portrait thread her in clasical art. But this may be even more fun (and challenging).

While surfing to look Baroque self portraits, I came across this one of Ruebens from 1630, the colours of which reminded me of a photograph of myself I took when I was playing with a new digital camera, which is unfortunately gone now.

Not sure if I want to jazz it up a bit with a collar (which is stolen from another Rubens portrait). What do you think?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jan-2007/96693-rubens1630.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jan-2007/96693-no_collar.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jan-2007/96693-collar.jpg

I'm posting now to sort of make a commitment to myself!

Alecto
01-06-2007, 06:17 PM
Yes! Collar! What an amazing portrait that will make. I can't wait to see it!

mscash
01-06-2007, 08:47 PM
I agree! The collar is perfect - good luck with your portrait.

tyree
01-06-2007, 09:07 PM
laurie...this will be great!!!! tyree:wave:

artbyjune
01-06-2007, 09:32 PM
A great idea.

LanK
01-06-2007, 11:19 PM
Thank you all. Now I am good and committed! All I have to do is paint.... First thing tomorrow (well actually after walking the dog) I will find a suitable support and get going.

Shehaub
01-08-2007, 10:32 PM
While researching to come up with an idea of what I want to do, I found a nice starting place at the artcyclopedia (http://www.artcyclopedia.com/history/baroque.html). Just thought I would pass the link on.

Keron
01-10-2007, 09:17 PM
Okay, so I'm late for the challenge of being the able to post the first week but here's something done this afternoon. It is a small (8x10) oil study on canvas.
It is a portrait of my friend Henry Rosetta, a truly gifted silversmith from Santa Domingo Pueblo - just west of Santa Fe.
I have kept to a limited palette using Maroger as my medium. I don't know how much further I am going to go with the shirt. It's plaid so it's a fright to contemplate doing. I will definitely being going at the head again - needs more hair on his chinny-chin-chin. Given its small size and my aging eyesight it is not without satisfaction for me. What do you all think. Feel free to offer comment. Thanks.:wave:

artbyjune
01-11-2007, 02:17 AM
Excellent portrait, Keron. The limited palette works extremely well. I just love the way you have captured the character in the eyes and mouth. I wouldn't change or add a thing to it.

Have you shown the portrait to the sitter?

PushingPixels
01-11-2007, 03:42 AM
Hi guys n girls..
Haven't forgotten you just been VERY Busy.
Check out my website revamp. It still needs work :)

thinkin of yau all...:thumbsup:

Mony G
01-11-2007, 03:26 PM
Wow! Keron, I think your portrait is really great! I love the expression of those eyes ... and I wouldn't touch the shirt if I were you either!
... If only I could paint such a good portrait as you did!

...and Barbara.. your website is getting really cool ( I'd love to have one too but I can't possibly figure out how to put one into the web).. the two non-figurative works ( the green and the blue ones ) are so pleasant to look at!

Mony G

Keron
01-12-2007, 01:38 PM
stumptailmonkey and Mony G - thanks so much for the kind words. I have to say I'm still undecided about the plaid, really for two reasons. Number one:I don't want my decision to be based on being intimidated by the 'task;' and two: my decision has to be based upon what's best for the image.... I don't especially want people to focus on the 'forest' and miss the 'trees,' if you get my drift.
Thanks again to you both and happy painting!

Keron
01-12-2007, 01:46 PM
...etc....Actually, perhaps more important than the shirt is the question of how much further I'll want to take Henry's face...the American painter David Leffel told me specifically to "use more paint." I've been bearing this in mind like a mantra since he spoke those words... so I think it needs more paint quality.
No Henry hasn't seen it but next summer when I see him I want to present it to him as a gift.

Alecto
01-12-2007, 02:50 PM
Keron, since the shirt isn't the focus of the piece, merely suggesting its pattern is all you really need. You might well be intimidated by the shirt, but don't put in unnecessary detail just because you feel driven to overcome your fears. If you think the image would be improved by more detail in the shirt, then go for it! Personally, it works for me the way it is. :thumbsup:

Keron
01-12-2007, 05:11 PM
Keron, since the shirt isn't the focus of the piece, merely suggesting its pattern is all you really need. You might well be intimidated by the shirt, but don't put in unnecessary detail just because you feel driven to overcome your fears. If you think the image would be improved by more detail in the shirt, then go for it! Personally, it works for me the way it is. :thumbsup:

Regardless of where I do or do not do with any part of the picture it is a question of 'finish'. By that I don't neccessarily mean level of detail. On the 'intimidation' issue, for myself I know that I could do the plaid but the eye strain - oh the EYESTRAIN!!!:eek: :lol: I quite understand your point though Alecto. When I was in my youth I lusted after the execution of detail...Now any part must be justified by service to the whole...that is my goal now.
Just to encourage Mony, I too left behind an 'artist's' life for many years while I raised my own family...now I find I am needing to return to it but I am needing to learn all over again. That is a matter of agony and ecstacy!
I prefer to leave regret out of the equation.
In short my dear, continue to indulge that little girl who dreamed of being an artist - without dreams what rest do we ever have?

PushingPixels
01-13-2007, 02:35 AM
wow Keron your poitrait looks just right to me but as you say you must be true to your instincts.
Here is my problem
I spent 7 hours on my pastel poitrait and picked up (oil Varnish spray) instead of fixative. Big Opps.
I can try a repair and use pastel over it. Try overpainting it in oils?? Or start over. Anyone ever heard of trying oils over a spray varnish.
I got white measles LOL :lol:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jan-2007/44004-pic1.jpg

detail

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jan-2007/44004-detail.jpg:envy:

Keron
01-13-2007, 05:41 PM
wow Keron your poitrait looks just right to me but as you say you must be true to your instincts.
Here is my problem
I spent 7 hours on my pastel poitrait and picked up (oil Varnish spray) instead of fixative. Big Opps.
I can try a repair and use pastel over it. Try overpainting it in oils?? Or start over. Anyone ever heard of trying oils over a spray varnish.
I got white measles LOL :lol:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jan-2007/44004-pic1.jpg

detail

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jan-2007/44004-detail.jpg:envy:

I'm just wondering if a better solution might be to continue overpainting in pastel...or am I missing something? As far as I know one would not paint over any kind of vanish except a retouch varnish, which is made for this job. One additional concern to me is whether or not the varnish would be enough of a ground to protect the paper from the linseed oil. This is why it is so important to lay a proper ground on a canvas or other support. Hope this is helpful... and by the way, I don't by any stretch claim to 'know it all.'

tyree
01-13-2007, 11:35 PM
oh Barb...that is awful...i havent any idea what you could do either...im so sorry...tyree

PushingPixels
01-14-2007, 03:07 AM
No worrys.. just a chance to start over and maybe improve it

Keron
01-14-2007, 12:28 PM
No worrys.. just a chance to start over and maybe improve it

Really, that's probably the best attitude to take....sometimes accidents are happy others are ...well a chance to move on to better things.

Mony G
01-15-2007, 03:42 PM
Thank you Keron for your encouraging words... too many years have past without me doing anything ... I had to start all over again! But I feel that I am catching up...:)...I really needed a return too! and I'd better catch up with my self-portrait too... otherwise I'll lose all this fun !
I also agree with you when you say any part of the painting must be justified by service to the whole... I've learned that after my still life painting of some weeks ago too!

Regardless of where I do or do not do with any part of the picture it is a question of 'finish'. By that I don't neccessarily mean level of detail. On the 'intimidation' issue, for myself I know that I could do the plaid but the eye strain - oh the EYESTRAIN!!!:eek: :lol: I quite understand your point though Alecto. When I was in my youth I lusted after the execution of detail...Now any part must be justified by service to the whole...that is my goal now.
Just to encourage Mony, I too left behind an 'artist's' life for many years while I raised my own family...now I find I am needing to return to it but I am needing to learn all over again. That is a matter of agony and ecstacy!
I prefer to leave regret out of the equation.
In short my dear, continue to indulge that little girl who dreamed of being an artist - without dreams what rest do we ever have?

Keron
01-16-2007, 05:03 PM
Mony, thank you for your kind words. One always has to remember that it is a noble and honourable thing to care for one's family...now that IS an art!
Anyway here is my posting for the day. I began blocking it in about an hour ago. I will try to post an update later this evening if all goes well. This pretty well documents my most usual method of starting work. Although I may do a preliminary sketch for something in this vein, I will begin painting directly onto the canvas trying to state my lights and darks and concentrate on size and placement. That said, it's all kind of 'loosey-goosey' at this stage....then again it's sort of akin to sneaking up on the thing!:)
It is oil on oil-primed linen. I prepare my own canvases and panels - it's cheaper (:confused: maybe:o ) and better for sure :thumbsup:
Am using Old Holland; Blockx; Holbein;Williamsburg; and Rembrandt colours...oh yeah maybe a Sennelier too. So okay, I'm a paint whore:lol:

Keron
01-17-2007, 03:02 AM
Well this is where I ended up about 1/2 an hour ago. I'm relatively comfortable with what's been accomplished thus far - it was about as far as I could go working wet into wet. Medium is Old Masters' Maroger. Feel free to offer advice and comment. Night

tyree
01-17-2007, 12:02 PM
wow keron...absolutely beautiful !!! tyree:wave:

Mony G
01-17-2007, 12:58 PM
What a great job, Keron, I just love the warm colours you use.. I ususally tend to use cool colours instead, but these are simply perfectly just appropriate to your subjects!

azulparsnip
01-17-2007, 01:27 PM
Granby - I like the movement/force in the pose - you got all those muscle??? Probably from painting alot

Laurie - quel dramatique!!!!!! gonna be breathtaking

Shehaub - thanks for the link , always like to look a art

Keron - the silver smith - I like the left side of the face particularly - the chief is good - they are so life like I keep expecting them to move

Got some study drawing done yesterday on the Blind....that is me - last in line!!! Hope to do some more tonight.

Tyree - I didn't catch you cause you're off the diet (black andwhite avatar) & at the beach !!

azulparsnip
01-17-2007, 01:28 PM
My figure doesn't quite fit with the others....what does it require???

azulparsnip
01-17-2007, 01:30 PM
maybe it is just the sketch because the other figures are connected by dark clothing/capes that doesnot appear in this sketch - that is why I made the last figure so close . Any comments would be appreciated.

artbyjune
01-17-2007, 02:05 PM
Keron, your portraits are marvellous. The people in them look wonderful!! I love your style.

As for my work for this challenge, its on the back burner...but Maybe I will be able to do something on it this weekend.

Very nice to see everyone else's work...makes me feel like getting a move on.

Keron
01-17-2007, 02:39 PM
What a great job, Keron, I just love the warm colours you use.. I ususally tend to use cool colours instead, but these are simply perfectly just appropriate to your subjects!

I want to thank all of you for the kind remarks.:wave:
_Mony in natural light the colour is actually a tad cooler. As I go along, my goals are to think about relationships such as warm vs. cool colour; colour vs. non-colour; background vs. foreground...between there and where I am now is a journey of some distance but I am sure about one element of that trek - it involves painting...I suppose I could fret about what I might have accomplished if only...IF ONLY - perhaps the two biggest, meaningless words in the English language. Instead, it's better not to look back but ahead so as not to stumble and fall. Mony will we get to peak at your self-portrait?:wave:

_Tyree - all I can say is THANKS!! I truly appreciate it.

_Azul - Thanks you too for your comments and your encouragement! I think that's what we all are looking for -yes? - Peace.

P.S. Mony - I have included a recent attempt at a self-portrait from life. It's done with some kind of conte pencil with white highlighting. (I used to just love Durer :) )

Keron
01-18-2007, 01:13 PM
Azulparsnip your figure looks like it matches the other figures in the line.
You'll just have to make it more into your own painting. I like it!

Keron, awesome self-portrait! You are handsome!
Really like the fire in your eyes! The movement of your hair!

Nickel

Wow! What can I say to that???:o "uh, if I had a Nickel for everyone who ever called me handsome...why, I'd have a Nickel:eek: :lol: ;) !!!"
Now that I've recovered....Thank you so much for your kind regards and comments -REALLY! Peace - K

saintlukesguild
01-18-2007, 01:42 PM
Okie dokie. Saint Luke as Saint Rembrandt as Saint Paul. Ink, brush, pen.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jan-2007/37454-100_0030.jpg

Now, it is my turn to challange, right? Let's see.... Nickel puts her face on "Birth of Venus?" Keron puts his face on "David?" These are just off the cuff suggestions and don't have to be strictly followed. :lol:

This gave me a wild hair idea. My Narcissism has been trying to claw to the top for sometime now, but I am sick of doing myself in sweatshirts. Soooo, why not replace Rembrandt's face with mine in one of his self portraits?

Keron
01-18-2007, 03:36 PM
Okie dokie. Saint Luke as Saint Rembrandt as Saint Paul. Ink, brush, pen.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jan-2007/37454-100_0030.jpg

Now, it is my turn to challange, right? Let's see.... Nickel puts her face on "Birth of Venus?" Keron puts his face on "David?" These are just off the cuff suggestions and don't have to be strictly followed. :lol:

This gave me a wild hair idea. My Narcissism has been trying to claw to the top for sometime now, but I am sick of doing myself in sweatshirts. Soooo, why not replace Rembrandt's face with mine in one of his self portraits?

Keron putting his face on 'David'???? You flirting with me Lukey ol boy??? HMMMMMM!:eek: I'm not marblo-sexual I'll have you know!:lol:

saintlukesguild
01-18-2007, 04:38 PM
Very well. Gainsboro's "Bue Boy" then. :lol: Now we wait to see what Nickel has to say about Venus.

Keron
01-18-2007, 05:42 PM
Very well. Gainsboro's "Bue Boy" then. :lol: Now we wait to see what Nickel has to say about Venus.

Well, as an alternative to 'Blue Boy' - that's a slipper I don't fit...- how 'bout Goya's Saturn from the painting 'Saturn Devouring his Sons'? How would that be??? Hmmmm????:eek: :lol:

Nickel
01-18-2007, 06:37 PM
Lol, I don't know if I want to live under this painting by Goya. :rolleyes: :p

Luke, good to see you exploring yourself as Rembrandt.

Next must be Rubens. ;)

Keron, a pound of this Nickel is heavy in a pocket. :wave:

So you know I am having comp problems, ran across the street,
in the wet, cold, snowy blizzard to snap a picture of this.

Hold your breath, my baroque self piece. Before I needle it to death.

pick pick pick....I know I didn't paint the hair this red. Use your imagination.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jan-2007/39040-1.jpg

Keron
01-18-2007, 06:47 PM
Nice eyes for a nickel...:)

tyree
01-18-2007, 07:44 PM
saint luke...terrific job..what sad eyes you have....nickel...this is beautiful...love the expression and those eyes....tyree:wave:

Keron
01-18-2007, 08:46 PM
Lol, I don't know if I want to live under this painting by Goya. :rolleyes: :p

Luke, good to see you exploring yourself as Rembrandt.

Next must be Rubens. ;)

Keron, a pound of this Nickel is heavy in a pocket. :wave:

So you know I am having comp problems, ran across the street,
in the wet, cold, snowy blizzard to snap a picture of this.

Hold your breath, my baroque self piece. Before I needle it to death.

pick pick pick....I know I didn't paint the hair this red. Use your imagination.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jan-2007/39040-1.jpg

Nickel, Are you doing this from life or from a photograph? Consider the contour of the neck...I would consider showing more of your neck in such a way that the hair was clearly a seperate element. Right now it's so close in value to your neck that it looks as though your neck is distorted.
I would also suggest considering the size and placement of your image in the picture frame. Right now I fear that the space is closing in around you.
Now to the plus side of the ledger - your colour is sensitive, yet sensous and your eyes deep and compassionate.
I know that you have committed to this but do consider allowing more space for your head, neck and shoulders.:thumbsup:

Keron
01-18-2007, 09:03 PM
Okay, so this is a very quick little diagram about what I mean about size & placement Nickel. This is how much of you we would all love to see you paint. Frame yourself in the mirror and give yourself some room to stretch your wings angel!:angel: :wave:

saintlukesguild
01-18-2007, 09:23 PM
Oh my God, this lovely red head has venus potential written all over it.

tyree
01-18-2007, 10:57 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jan-2007/65063-lady_tyree.jpg lady tyree writing a letter..from vermeer...pastel....tyree

tyree
01-18-2007, 11:03 PM
saint luke...are you picking the paintings for everyone...if so...im ready...i can take it...i think....tyree:wave:

tyree
01-18-2007, 11:05 PM
nickel...wow ...were cross posting...thank you...but as you can see ...yellow has a tendency to make my skin yellowy...:lol: tyree:wave:

Nickel
01-18-2007, 11:08 PM
Funny Susan, I had a coat like that at sixteen.
Cute girl, love the hair & feather too! :) Nickel

tyree
01-18-2007, 11:11 PM
at sixteen...i was into peacoats and shag haircuts...yikes...tyree:p

azulparsnip
01-19-2007, 09:09 AM
you guys and your fur coats, holy books and snack foods - a wild bunch!!!

saintlukesguild
01-19-2007, 11:26 AM
But I was the first poster this month! So according to the rules I get to pick. Venus and David it is. No gender bias. Put your face on either, or both. :D Mirror faces only. :evil:

LanK
01-19-2007, 12:40 PM
You folks are having too much fun here! And creating some very nice work. After cockily posting my ref picture, I've been too terrified to start the painting. Finally began with some sketches. After my first experience with a set of portraits that took me over a year. (finally finished). I was nervous about putting paint down (wrong), so I gathered my nerve and tried charcoal - then a pencil.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jan-2007/96693-sketch_1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jan-2007/96693-sketch_2.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jan-2007/96693-sketch_3.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jan-2007/96693-sketch_4.jpg

My intention was 5 quick sketches, thinking that by the time I had done that I would know my face pretty well - but they are getting worse, so no more sketches.....

saintlukesguild
01-19-2007, 12:50 PM
Curses! Foiled again! Just like a woman to change the rules in the middle of the game.

Don't you dare stop, Laurie. I forbid it. You are getting the rust off and ready to gear up.

Keron
01-19-2007, 05:36 PM
But I was the first poster this month! So according to the rules I get to pick. Venus and David it is. No gender bias. Put your face on either, or both. :D Mirror faces only. :evil:

Uh, you mean there's rules or sumthin' like that to this forum?? But can Venus have arms this time?? I want Nickel to have arms!:wink2: :lol:
I'll see what I can do about that david thing but I dunno...:o

Keron
01-19-2007, 05:47 PM
You folks are having too much fun here! And creating some very nice work. After cockily posting my ref picture, I've been too terrified to start the painting. Finally began with some sketches. After my first experience with a set of portraits that took me over a year. (finally finished). I was nervous about putting paint down (wrong), so I gathered my nerve and tried charcoal - then a pencil.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jan-2007/96693-sketch_1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jan-2007/96693-sketch_2.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jan-2007/96693-sketch_3.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jan-2007/96693-sketch_4.jpg

My intention was 5 quick sketches, thinking that by the time I had done that I would know my face pretty well - but they are getting worse, so no more sketches.....

The only one I have reservations about is the last, which, to my mind, is too tentative - not far along enough to judge. But the others are really nice explorations of tone (#1) and contour.
The wone thing I would say is this: once you commit yourself to carrying it over to canvas give your head as space to occupy - don't crowd it and please subtly indicate your near and far shoulder. You have an absolute beautifully envisioned concept in the photo-model you created... You're three quarters of the way home already - you just don't know it.
Finally, PLEASE DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE PAINT.. you can only grow by doing it. It's oil paint after all - you don't like a particular passage - scrape or wipe it off and away you go....You CAN do it because you've already envisioned it! :thumbsup: :wave:

Keron
01-19-2007, 07:01 PM
The only one I have reservations about is the last, which, to my mind, is too tentative - not far along enough to judge. But the others are really nice explorations of tone (#1) and contour.
The wone thing I would say is this: once you commit yourself to carrying it over to canvas give your head as space to occupy - don't crowd it and please subtly indicate your near and far shoulder. You have an absolute beautifully envisioned concept in the photo-model you created... You're three quarters of the way home already - you just don't know it.
Finally, PLEASE DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE PAINT.. you can only grow by doing it. It's oil paint after all - you don't like a particular passage - scrape or wipe it off and away you go....You CAN do it because you've already envisioned it! :thumbsup: :wave:

LanK
Another suggestion, if your worried about juggling to many things all at once you could approach it like the old joke - to wit "how do you eat an elephant?"..answer? "A bite at atime."
In other words you might want to do this in the old master layered approach. Start with a grisalle underpainting. Go to the ArtPapa site That Anatov guy has a couple of free demos on the site explaining his method.
Just repeat after me "Paint is my friend...paint is my friend..(just don't eat it :lol: ." Peace

LanK
01-20-2007, 05:29 PM
I am overwhelmed (in a good way) by this forum. You are all so wonderfully supportive. The humour, generous advice and encouragement have helped me break through! This portraiture thing, and my urge to be "perfect" made me forget how much I love painting and that is has always be a source of joy not fear! I just read through the entire thread again and am amazed by so many things here...now, in one reply, I will try to catch up on what I have missed commenting on - sorry for the length!

Keron - you are such a prolific talented artist - every one of your pieces resonates with such personality. Thank you for the suggestion, I was going to try a monochromatic underpainting, but once I started painting, was having too much fun with colours - so that idea went out the window! Funny you should mention not to eat the paint - went to pick up some white the other day, and was not sure which one to get - I have always used titanium, but sort of remember reading about the qualities of different whites, and the fellow at the store advised that I shouldn't eat the flake white ?! (I usually try to avoid eating paint, I must have looked hungry that day!)

St Luke - you crack me up! "foiled again" so broke the tension I was feeling - thank you. Your sense of humour very much comes through in your "Saint Luke as Saint Rembrandt as Saint Paul."

Nickel - You don't sound mad - your words seem to exemplify the spirit here. I quite like your portrait - the close crop, though not "baroque" I guess, is interesting and draws you in - what is the scale? I can imagine it very much larger than life - and I love the hair colour - it the colour I aim at myself, but since they discontinued my colour in a box, I can't seem to achieve it anymore!

Tyree - Your "Lady Tyree Writing a Letter" has such flair! The attitude in her expression goes very well with your palette.

Azulparsnip - Like your ref choice. I agree that your figure seems slightly out of place. The difference I notice is that you are a bit squished in at the end of the line - perhaps you could have a bit of breathing space between yourself and the person in front?

PushingPixels - sorry for your "Measles." Did you find a way to cure them?

okay...my fingers are getting tired now!

So, I did start painting yesterday - didn't accomplish as much as I had hoped, but the stress exhausted me! I was going to wait to post until I had more done, but I have to scan my painting (no digital camera) so thought I would do it now while this thin layer is dryish - I hope to accomplish so much this evening that it will be impossible to scan for days!

This is very much a beginning, but everything seems pretty well in place so the picky side of me is pleased! Now I can relax and the painting fun can begin. My son finds it very creepy....so do I! But I dont mind at all....there is paint on the board!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jan-2007/96693-ptg1.jpg

Thank you all again!

tyree
01-20-2007, 05:41 PM
thanks laurie and nickel for kind comments...laurie..yours has a dark mysterious feel...very baroque...i like it!!!! tyree

LanK
01-20-2007, 11:48 PM
I've been checking this thread off and on while painting. Your small font apology sat way to heavy at the bottom of my screen St. Luke. :crying:

So I thought I would give you my happy update.:D

The painting is coming along....it is sort of turning into a monochromatic underpainting, so maybe I will be able to try glazing. The image that I posted, is not the entire painting. The composition will be the same as in the ref image. There was just no point in doing multiple scans of a dark background....hopefully by the next posting I will have some collar and hair done....

PushingPixels
01-21-2007, 09:31 PM
Keron... for some reason Saturn eating his son kind of scares me. I don't see you that way. More kind and fatherly to my mind. Lan you have a wonderful start on your poitrait. I'm still trying to get the courage to jump into oils. I did some retouches on my pastel poitrait and it is OK. Next month I will jump in so to speak.

Nichol where did you put that list of Challenges. I need to prep for the next month if I take on a whole new medium. (Thats not cheating is it??)
:evil: I just touched it up some with more pastel my heart just wasn't in it anymore.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jan-2007/44004-poitrait.jpg

Keron
01-21-2007, 11:55 PM
Keron... for some reason Saturn eating his son kind of scares me. I don't see you that way. More kind and fatherly to my mind. Lan you have a wonderful start on your poitrait. I'm still trying to get the courage to jump into oils. I did some retouches on my pastel poitrait and it is OK. Next month I will jump in so to speak.

Nichol where did you put that list of Challenges. I need to prep for the next month if I take on a whole new medium. (Thats not cheating is it??)
:evil: I just touched it up some with more pastel my heart just wasn't in it anymore.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jan-2007/44004-poitrait.jpg

Oh, I was just being silly about that Saturn thing:) I'm a Gemini - this means I alternately take myself too seriously but laugh at tthe whole idea:lol: :wave:
By the way, you pastel is a very nice 'save' given the state you found yourself in a few days ago. I like it - nice colour and use of space.

Keron
01-22-2007, 12:15 AM
;) As an oil painter, I have lots of patience, lol.
Both you & Luke are cool!
Communicating online is a challenge.

I've hid my head,
Hoping with a frame it will ground itself somewhat. I don't know.

Laurie, I did notice in your little picture your red hair.
I think it's very pretty.
And you asked the size of my painting, I think it's double size.
Gee, maybe I
have a big head. :eek:

I am looking forward to next month's challenge.
Drapery maybe a good one to add for study.

Take care, Nickel

The drapery one could very well be a good challenge - something I know I could stand to work on. I'm itching to do a landscape right now. It's inspired by this Rembrandt: It's called 'The stone bridge' I love the paint quality in this amazing little piece. Savour the way Rembrandt merged the heavy opaqueness of the lights into the transparency of the incredibly deep shadows. It's a diminutive masterpiece - a triumph!
The little photo is a panoramic crop of a photo I took in Monument Valley 2 years ago. I think it would lend itself well to the same treatment - it evokes that in me anyway.

Mony G
01-22-2007, 04:48 AM
Hi everybody...I'm back!

I've been reading all your posts and trying to catch up with the "Baroque" self-portrait I found the time to make a try at last... but more than a "Baroque" it seems a sort of "horror" ...I seem a bit "zombie"... it looks like something between some works by Munch , Durer's self-portrait... and Michael Jackson!

I wanted to try oil-painting , but as I leave my colours in Como at school I gave pastels a try... and this the result I submit you to see ...!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jan-2007/77963-File0667.jpg

It's awful!
...but I'd like to share the fun with you!...you have been all working so hard !

Mony G

P.S.: Drapery could really be a good topic for next month...

tyree
01-22-2007, 01:42 PM
barb..you and mony have done wonderfully..thanks for doing my choice of challenge this month!!! tyree:clap: :thumbsup:

PushingPixels
01-22-2007, 11:38 PM
The drapery one could very well be a good challenge - something I know I could stand to work on. I'm itching to do a landscape right now. It's inspired by this Rembrandt: It's called 'The stone bridge' I love the paint quality in this amazing little piece. Savour the way Rembrandt merged the heavy opaqueness of the lights into the transparency of the incredibly deep shadows. It's a diminutive masterpiece - a triumph!
The little photo is a panoramic crop of a photo I took in Monument Valley 2 years ago. I think it would lend itself well to the same treatment - it evokes that in me anyway.

:clap: :clap: I agree this Monument Valley photo would be awesome in the same style. I've been itching to do a landscape as well maybe one of my FAVORITE places Yosemitie. My husband and I were married there in 1979. Just young pups but we still are young at heart. Can we do a classic landscape Nichol... wha do ya think???:D

PushingPixels
01-22-2007, 11:41 PM
Mony I love this poitrait you have done!! It has some special feeling!!!
Tyree your are such a sweetie.. I loved yours too.. felt french to me...
la we we.:cool:

LanK
01-23-2007, 06:47 PM
Mony - your portrait has a great deal of charm. I like how you shared the same palette with yourself and the cat. There is a bit of a "goth" feel to it overall - it seems that you may be casting a curse on us! (the cat's expression especially gives this impression!)

Pushing Pixels - what a great save...from this image it seems like you have pulled it all back together - congratulations.

Although I am nowhere near done on this sp, I too am looking forward to next month's challenge - drapery or landscape would be great. Keron - your photograph is amazing! The Rembrandt approach would be a stunning painting - I hope we get to see it!

Tyree - thank you for the kind words...it is coming along now. I am working on the chiarascuro (learning much) so it is feeling more Baroque.

Nickel - seeing everying less than monitor size sucks! I would very much like to see your portrait in the real world! From my very limited time here on wetcanvas it has occured to me that in this medium (the computer screen) the power of paint is a bit curtailed. The realism in images tends to catch my eye more than in real life - where I am drawn more to expressive work with strong colours. Thank you for the hair compliment - I thought the colour was pretty too and wish I could find it again - now it ranges from purplish to carrot, depending on my experiment of the month!

Here is an update of where I was at with the sp early yesterday...I managed to sneak a scan in even though it was still wet - today I'm too scared to risk it! I really have to let it sit and dry for a while now. Using a dry bush approach seems to work well...but by the end of the day yesterday I was lifting more paint than I was putting down.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jan-2007/96693-ptg2.jpg

Glad the forums are back up!

Keron
01-23-2007, 09:24 PM
Well, today I got around to starting this painting. The medium is Groves amber gelling medium - I supposed it could be compared to a Maroger but its handling properties are somewhat different...more drag on the brush. It has excellent brush stroke retention.
As you can see, I'm not trying to use the photo for anything more than an inspiration. The star of the painting will hopefully be the light...I just love the slender sliver of light on the valley floor below the cliffs!

Mony G
01-24-2007, 03:31 AM
Hi! ... The original of my portrait is actually a bit less full of contrast than this one :eek: ... my scanner's fault I suppose.. but it still has that gothic feeling !
... you are too good , anyway...
what's true is that it does show a bit of my ... a bit "witchy":evil: personality
... and I'm sorry to say there is some resemblance too.
... I only exaggerated with the dramatic effect ! the challenge has been a good one ... but pastels aren't my favourites!

thank you everybody.. Lank is doing a real good work on her face!:clap:
.. in theme with our challenge... and Keron's landscape is beautiful!

Keron
01-24-2007, 11:25 AM
Hi! ... The original of my portrait is actually a bit less full of contrast than this one :eek: ... my scanner's fault I suppose.. but it still has that gothic feeling !
... you are too good , anyway...
what's true is that it does show a bit of my ... a bit "witchy":evil: personality
... and I'm sorry to say there is some resemblance too.
... I only exaggerated with the dramatic effect ! the challenge has been a good one ... but pastels aren't my favourites!

thank you everybody.. Lank is doing a real good work on her face!:clap:
.. in theme with our challenge... and Keron's landscape is beautiful!

Thank you so much Mony and Nickel! Encouragement such as yours' inspires. I will post an update of my little panorama a bit later - I can't access my Mac right now (photo software). Before I'm done this painting will have (hopefully - that's my concept anyway) much deeper contrast between the lights and the darks..chiaroscuro! And yes, Nickel I will be posting it on your new thread. Ciao for now Mony...later Nickel...and - onen ki wahi (Mohawk for roughly the same thing.) Keron

LanK
01-24-2007, 02:47 PM
Keron - the impending storm feels so threatening already - you can sense the movement and how shortlived that sliver of light is going to be. The extreme landscape proportions of your painting works well to emphasize this sense of motion too.

Mony - thank you. Yes I am using oils and pushed it a bit with the scanning just so that I could see that all the parts were in the right place still! I'm a bit paranoid about that and seem to think they are going to jump around while I'm not watching...

Nickel - thank you also. I very much like the "witchy" feel. Witchy strikes me as a good thing!

azulparsnip
01-24-2007, 03:01 PM
well, thanks lauri for the comment about my figure being a bit squashed - I thought so but wasn't sure. I drew all the figures on to the strathmore last night but I will go back and broaden mine a bit....thanks.

Here is a study of Curran's The Luxembourg garden I started 2006......I don't want to apply any more watercolor as it will muddle....am thinking about adding the detail with colored gel pens???? What the heck , it is just a study. I have ended up loving this picture.....the powerful statue in the background with the delicate birds and woman's hand in the foreground....and all the figures in the background ....He probably dashed this off in a couple of hrs!!

Keron
01-24-2007, 06:30 PM
Keron - the impending storm feels so threatening already - you can sense the movement and how shortlived that sliver of light is going to be. The extreme landscape proportions of your painting works well to emphasize this sense of motion too.

Mony - thank you. Yes I am using oils and pushed it a bit with the scanning just so that I could see that all the parts were in the right place still! I'm a bit paranoid about that and seem to think they are going to jump around while I'm not watching...

Nickel - thank you also. I very much like the "witchy" feel. Witchy strikes me as a good thing!

Thank you Laurie. I hope the end result lives up to your very high praise. Isn't painting such a gift. I love the way your self portrait is coming out. Are you going to add that really cool Rubens collar? It would add to it for sure. Peace. Keron

Alecto
01-26-2007, 02:14 PM
Well, it looks like I won't have time to finish this one. I love everybody's work, though. LanK, great expression! You've captured a wonderful sense of pensiveness, with a touch of ... well, not fear. I'm not sure how to describe it, but it's riveting. Mony, LanK is right about yours: you and your cat mean business! :D Very expressive!

I wish I had time for this one. It's a great challenge, though. Thanks for starting it Nickel!

LanK
01-26-2007, 09:08 PM
Azulparsnip - what a complex image - I don't think I would ever have the patience. Coloured pen sounds like it would be quite interesting. I look forward to seeing how it comes out.

Keron - No high praise - just responding to what I saw. I am having doubts about the collar. After spending a fair bit of time finding it, and making it fit around my neck, it somehow doesn't fit my idea of a self portrait. Though it does fit the baroque theme, I really don't like wearing collars! And, at the rate I'm going, it would probably take me until summer to paint it.

Alecto-it is fear...fear of screwing up this painting and having the eyes or nose move somewhere!

Here is an update. Probably about 4 hours of painting - and when I scanned it and compared it to the last version - very little change that I can see....what was I doing? There is a bit more hair, though you can't tell from this scan. And I can see now, that though the eyes/nose/mouth stayed in place, it seems the right side of my face expanded about 1/4 of an inch...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jan-2007/96693-ptg3.jpg

I'm very much looking forward to the next challenge.....

azulparsnip
01-27-2007, 05:47 PM
Laurie - your portrait is alive looking, I keep expecting your head to swing around and your eyes meet mine......strange

azulparsnip
01-27-2007, 05:48 PM
I am stil working on the blind leading the blind and hope to have it done before end of January.

LanK
01-27-2007, 10:24 PM
Azulparsnip - thank you for your comment! Hopefully, she (I?) will have pupils in the next post so she can see you. Looking forward to seeing the Blind Leading the Blind.

artbyjune
01-28-2007, 07:33 AM
Great work everyone. I'm impressed. I love the portrait with the kitty cat, Mony. Lank your is coming on so well.

As for me, I won't get my sketches into paint for the end of January...maybe the end of March more likely!! (2008!! ) Just joking. I'll try and do it next month.)

tyree
01-28-2007, 12:52 PM
Azul..what a wonderful w/c..very lively and colourful..hi junebug..will be looking forward to your work...tyree:wave:

Keron
01-30-2007, 12:03 AM
Trying to finish up January well...here's my latest post of my monument valley landscape. A ways to go yet but getting there I think. I feel okay about the day's work.

LanK
01-30-2007, 11:01 AM
Very exciting watching this painting progress Keron! Such intensity! Only problem is that I can't get close enough - no matter how near I bring my face to the monitor, I can't see those cliffs as well as I want to - nor the foreground! Please, when you have the time, post details!

Nickel
01-30-2007, 10:42 PM
Alecto I hope you will post your piece when you get time to do it.
I would like to see it. You had a great start!

Azulparsnip are you finding the magic moments to finish your painting? :)
I hope so. I do so enjoy seeing your paintings. They are a delight!

June I know you are so busy, I hope you get to join us for the February
challenge. I found David Teniers the Younger that fits the theme. He's was a pretty cool dude for his time don't you think?

Hi Susan!:wave:

Keron your landscape is looking awesome, really! Make sure you use
enough paint like Leffel advised. I agree with Laurie, would like
an even closer look. I like seeing the brush work!

Laurie I am so glad you have did your portrait. You really are good.
There is an intensity that is evident and shows well your ability
to convey your personality. Lol, and you did it with paint too ;)

Bravo Everyone for a challenge well done! :thumbsup:

I'll keep looking for your finished pieces. Nickel

artbyjune
02-03-2007, 11:06 AM
Hi Keron, your landscape is breath-taking!!

Here is an update on my monkey pic after Teniers.

I've put on a first wash in burnt sienna in egg tempera on paper, 8 by 10 ins. It may take a few days (or weeks) to finish it.:D

artbyjune
02-03-2007, 11:10 AM
I should say inspired by Teniers the younger. Not a copy of any of his paintings. The self-portrait part is the female squeezed in the open dorrway at the back of the salon!! I think the cats and monkeys will be fun to paint.

tyree
02-03-2007, 12:29 PM
june...this is so clever...cant wait to see the next step!!! tyree:wave:

LanK
02-07-2007, 12:04 PM
Stumptailmonkey - this is going to be a lovely painting - so lightspirited. Selfportraits always seem to have such a heavy feel to them, this is a nice alternative.

Keron - I keep hoping to see an update on your landscape...How is it coming?

Azulparsnip - Hoping to see your Blind Leading the Blind too!

okay...I'm bugging people to see their wips, and here I am, a week into February...and I'm maybe halfway done on this bloody sp! But, I'm learning a lot. Number 1 - I don't like glazing!!! Trying to figure out my ?? instinctive process, and I think I see in colours, the attempt to make a monochromatic underpainting just about killed me with frustration. So I brought in some colours and then it just got all confusing. My attempts with glazing were probably stymied with poor materials. I am working in a space with little ventilation, so I didn't want to start mixing up varnish and turps, and instead opted for an alkyd gel medium. With is supposed to dry to a flat finish, but it doesn't, and it takes forever to dry. Just made everything really sticky for a while, then when it did finally dry, the surface was so slick that all you could really do easily is apply more glazes and I'm not there yet! So, the surface is now covered with another thin layer of paint almost everywhere, I'm back to a matte finish which now I realize I like best, and am now back where I was a while ago, realizing that I like using a scumbling technique (at least on this painting).

Think everything is in place again - my mouth kept moving and changing shape and sizes! Now its down to shading/highlights and hair....

I've given up on the collar for certain, but will try and bring in a silver chain - which I always were so I'm sure I have an image I can lift that from. It will take much less time than the collar, and I really want to call this done before March.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Feb-2007/96693-Untitled-2.jpg

The scumbling is working really well irl. Not sure if it comes through here - but it leaves an almost powdery feel, and kills the hard edges beautifully (not to mention it is dry enough to work on the next day!)

hope everyone is well... St. Luke, haven't heard a peep from you in a bit!

LanK
02-08-2007, 09:04 AM
Thank you Nickel. I'm going to bring in more colour to warm up things a bit. I am so happy for this challenge. I've learned much with this painting.

saintlukesguild
02-08-2007, 12:14 PM
My attempts with glazing were probably stymied with poor materials. I am working in a space with little ventilation, so I didn't want to start mixing up varnish and turps... I really want to call this done before March... St. Luke, haven't heard a peep from you in a bit!

Peep, peep. You want to call this done by March, really? Why? You are caught up in the electric buzz of learning and discovery. I can tell from your comments. Ride it girl, ride it. Forget all production dates.

Tutorial 1... Glazing is ultra-thin paint and has nothing to do with all the liquid additives (foolishly called "mediums" by paint manufactureres). Glazing is brush technique and there are a variety of techniques. Scumbling is one of them. Wiping off with a rag or blending with a finger tip is another. Minimal paint is always the key, so that pigment beneath shows around the dust of pigment applied on top. This makes transparency. When the top pigment smothers all presence of pigment beneath, that is opacity. The Rubens rule is "transparent shadows, opaque lights." Both are required to model the shape and form of anything, including supporting "atmosphere."

THIN PAINT. If you followed my Susanna thread, it is 99% glazing and I do not posess a single drop of "medium." The final glaze of her flesh was Titanium white right out of the tube, and the amount was no larger than the size of a medium English pea. I kid you not. But first I went through many trial and error modifications to establish the blood beneath the skin which established the shading which established the form and contours of the body parts covered in that porcelin skin. Then the final pea sized nut of white was applied.

APPLICATION. Small brushes. Hog bristle always works. Used synthetic a bit splayed works well too. Barely get the tip of the brush wet and holding the brush more or less verticle to the support tap and blot the paint to light up the area you want lit. Depending on the size of the areas, the dot/blot will be closely spaced parallel lines. These dot/blot lines can be blended and feathered at the edges with repeated dot/blotting with the brush dry. (Pull the paint off the bristles with a rag.) Which brings up the advice to dot/blot the center of the area (cheek, forehead etc.) then stop before you reach the intended margins. Repeated dot/blotting will drag the initial paint out to those dissolving margins just the way you want. As you learned from scumbling, the brush tip NEVER gets completely dry. (In fact, dot/blot is just another way of scumbling.)

Dot/blot, in any color, is also a way of drawing, and far more forgiving than any STROKE. It builds up a model of shadow and contour, and when and where it leads to mistake wipe it off with a rag. The ultra-thin residue of mistake is amenable to further paint and correction. My final application to Susanna's flesh was dot/blot drawing of light - no more no less. Dot/blotting will leave a grainy texture, and how grainy is up to you. It is also up to the amount of paint you put down and how much repeated blot/blending you do. Repeated dry brush blotting can reduce that texture to almost molecular size, perfect for just perceptible transparency. You can give the fresh grainy texture a day to dry, then very very lightly smooth the tiny bumps with a dry soft brush. This will make the light approach or reach opacity, which in certain places is exactlly what you want. Again, no bold strokes, painterly or otherwise, are described here.

Dot/blotting can "draw" everything. All the blue background behind Susanna was done that way. Her hat, dress, shawl build up, all drawn with dot/blotting. Some of the shawl was blocked in with bold stroking and I paid dearly for my sins and salvaged it with dot/blotting. When patient dot/blotting builds an image to almost perfection, then is the time for "bold stroking" on certain places, if you dare. You can make dazzling accents, or you can make a mess (a la Susanna's red velvet sleeves). :evil:

Have I given you the idea that glazing is a universe removed from anything said about glazing in 20th cen. to present? Exactly. Thin paint, out of the tube, is all glazing is. Glazing gives transparency to under pigments, or smothers the under pigment with opacity. Simple as that. And simple to learn, if you spend several years experimenting with it. Which rules out any March deadline. :lol:

Seriously, I have no stake in what anyone paints or how they paint it. If you can visualize/translate what I have written and want to give it a try, your portrait is at a good stage to start experimenting.

saintlukesguild
02-08-2007, 12:38 PM
PEEP PEEP! Is your nose long enough? Is your chin too long? These placements and proportions need to be corrected before you get into glazing. The skull is an oval. An imaginary line across the eyes is the center of the oval. The bottom of the nose is halfway (or thereabouts) between the eye line and the bottom of the chin. The center lips line is halfway between the bottom of the nose and the bottom of the chin. Which brings up the problem of where exactly is the bottom of the chin? It is the bottom of the highlight on fatty pads (or bone) on the chin. From the bottom of the chin highlights the chin curves back to under-chin and down to the neck. This has to be accounted for, which will include faint light (usually) reflecting from the neck/chest area onto the under-chin. This is exactly where a camera screws up most every time. A camera lens cannot do depth perception. It lengthens a chin with a splash of light onto film that is wrong 99% of the time.

These ideal proportions will be skewed by foreshortening if the head is at a steep tilt in any direction. Your head is barely tilted up - not enough to decrease the nose lenght as much as you have it.

saintlukesguild
02-08-2007, 12:59 PM
BELLOW BELLOW! When you dot/blot/draw :D your face to establish the proper structure, build flesh luminosity by adding white to color. Do not go white. Only at the very last will white be added and very sparingly. Long before you get to that though, add some stingy light (brownish, grayish, ocherish whatever) to the dark background against the shadded side of her face (our left). This will be a valuable aid in determining just how shadowy the shaded side will be, and just how high the lighted side of the face should go. The hair (our right) will cast deep shadow against the lighted cheek. This is a trick Vermeer used often. Dark against the light side, light against the shaded side. The result is 3-D and ultra-realistic, we are told. In fact it is all artifice of the best possible kind. The fall of tresses our right are best suggestive of twist and curl by minimal and carefully chosen hightlights, done with the finest of fabulous stroking no less. :D Peep peep

LanK
02-08-2007, 03:28 PM
Man I love it here....

I am eternally grateful St Luke.

Have to digest everything still, but needed to respond immediately (just to stop the head from overflowing). Your description of glazing is such a relief. I've painted for a while now - not this style or subject, but enough to have a feeling for paint. This whole portrait arena has thrown me for such a loop that I've become detached from the knowledge that resides in my hand-eye connection. You would think that is the brain, it may be, but its not in a part that I have conscious access too. Your words felt right as I read them. Not like a "trick," which I have read too much of.
Will come back with a more cohesive response after I do some digesting.

azulparsnip
02-11-2007, 10:14 AM
Hi guys -

I got a great photo of a red river hog for the pig challenge but I am too busy to format it to post here right now.

Laurie - I finished my portrait per Vrancx January 31 night and posted it in my sketches thread - link here -
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=391824

thanks for looking.

LanK
02-11-2007, 10:54 AM
Thought I would tackle the BELLOW BELLOW aspects first and work at the structure. I looked and looked to see where the nose/mouth/chin aspect was going wrong. I know the features are close to the right spot, but I understand what your eyes are telling you St Luke.

First problem. It is not obvious in my painting (maybe not even in the ref photo), but my head is actually quite tilted/twisted - back and to the right. I know that for sure, because the skin of my neck and face looks much smoother than it does if I'm holding my head at a natural angle - I love this photo for that, wrinkles, sags are pulled out pretty flat!
So I will use a mirror to work this out, take the same pose and see how the shading behaves without the interference of the camera.

In the meantime, I've lined up the ref photo and the painting to check feature placement. Only thing I can see really off is the tip of the nose. Not sure what that does to the overall perception of the image, but it may play more of a role than I would think. I will work on that.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Feb-2007/96693-horizontal.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Feb-2007/96693-vertical.jpg

I don't think that I am anywhere done with the shading in the face. The neck is obviously too dark. The right side of my face too light. The hair is coming along, but too wet to scan - this is an image from a few days ago, but the face hasn't been touched. I'll make sure that it falls in a way that shows the tilt - glad for this excercise, because I was having trouble with the hair. Now I know why - in the ref photo the way the hair falls does help indicate the position of the head, and I thought it was just evidence of a bad hair day and was trying to fix it up a bit!

Anyway, sorry for this ridiculously long post!

Please tell me If you can see anything that I can't - I think I've grown blind to this painting now, and can only see what I intended to paint, not necessarily what I have painted!

Thank you,

LanK
02-11-2007, 11:05 AM
Didn't realize how long it took me to put together that last post until I submitted and saw your post Azul, from some half an hour before!

Azul, it's wonderful to see this work in colour. So much detail! I had missed it. I haven't looked anywhere in this forum but the weekly and monthly threads - sometimes I find this site can become overwhelming, and I've tried to put my self on a wc diet of sorts. Have to give that up - I am missing too many things! Glad that you posted the link. I am impressed with your patience. I don't think I would have to gumption to tackle such a richly populated scene.

saintlukesguild
02-11-2007, 11:56 AM
What do you mean rediculously long post??!! My verbosity sets high standards for density and length, and they are never rediculous! :lol:

Never, never, ever trust a photo. A camera lens has no depth perception. If your head is tilted back so much as to foreshorten the nose, then the chin and lips necessarily must be foreshortened also. That is, the lip line would be closer to the bottom of the nose, the chin bone closer to the lip line etc. As is, the mouth and chin are suggesting a position pretty much parallel to the floor, with little or no upward tilt that I can make out. The mouth and chin do not jib with the short nose. The cast of the eyes might be throwing you off. You can swivel your eye balls in any direction independently of the skull moving with them. Though here your skull did move slightly in the same direction, but likely far less than the photo is making you believe.

Yes, yes, yes. Study your face in a mirror and tilt it in any direction you can and still maintain eye contact. Better still, study any human face in sight and see how parts line up with parts, how lines and planes remain inter-related no matter the tilt and direction of a head.

Have I made your day? :lol: Also, you can ingnore this and begin work all the picture - background light and hair foundation etc., and that alone will have greater impact on your perception of the facial structure than you can imagine. Also, and this is a strong suggestion (so strong it is an order), step back often, CONSTANTLY, to evaluate your progress. Step back 5, 10, 15 feet to see what is taking place. At 15 feet what looked terribly wrong up close can shift to exactly right after all. And vice-versa. Another tip: I wear glasses only for watching television and night driving. After a while I acquired enough brain power to realize that evaluating my work in progress from 15 feet away was a waste of time without donning my glasses first. Even something as silly as that we don't think of in the heat of art creation.

LanK
02-11-2007, 12:20 PM
Thank you St Luke. From your ridiculously long post I am taking your words, mixing a few up for fun :lol: and planning several lines of attack.

1. Take off my glasses and stand back 15 feet. All will sit very well then! I don't think I could recognize this as a face if I was only 5 feet away without my glasses! That done, and it looks fabulously aglow! off to...

2. I am sorely tempted to actually draw some lines on my face - those standard lines - across the eyes, down the nose.... and take that to the mirror. Sketch those lines, and a basic head outline right on the mirror. My vision feels so limited. I look and I see but find it frustratingly difficult to translate to the canvas. (a good kind of frustration though, I must admit) Will let you know how that works...maybe difficult though to access the internet if they catch me and wrap me up in one of those white jackets.

3. Not sure if I will bring what I learn to this painting other than adjusting shading. This new understanding may only show up in later works. For this one, I will fix the nose and carry on to see where it takes me.

I have taken the winter off real world (paying) work to paint. This has been one of my most intense, demanding and growth filled painting breaks ever. Was supposed to return to the working world in March. It may just have to wait. Some things are gelling, new concepts are springing forth - the world can't have my brain back yet. Unfortunately, a tooth broke last month. I'm going to have to find a dentist who will barter for their services. Extraction=small painting, Big filling=medium painting, Root Canel= bigger painting, Crown=mural on his wall.:D

Nickel
02-13-2007, 10:07 PM
How's it going Laurie?
I read all this , sorry it's all over my head.

The only thing I understand , all pictures lie, I am much better looking. LOL
I look like a cookie :)

LanK
02-21-2007, 11:37 PM
its going.... Here is where I'm at today.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Feb-2007/96693-Untitled-1.jpg

didn't realize until I scanned it that I really screwed up my right eye today! But that is an easy fix. The more I mess around with the nose (its in a "Transitional" state at the moment:rolleyes:) I think it may have played a very big role in the distortion. You really should see a good deal of the underneath in this image and I didn't paint it that way. I hope this addresses the forshortened nose issue that St Luke raised - at least a bit.

Playing back and forth a bit with the light/shadow....this version is too light on the forehead, but it is very strange light - I like it in the photo, but am just starting to understand it more now. You can see the strain of working this out by the dark shadow/line growing beneath my left eye:lol:

My nose is growing, the shadows and wrinkles are growing...hmmm..maybe I should have stopped a while ago?

But, I am learning - and enjoying the trip!

Wonder how Keron is doing with his landscape...and if St Luke is makin bacon?

azulparsnip
02-22-2007, 08:30 AM
wow, Laurie, this is looking good, the little nuances are making it breathe, your observation skills are good, and of course it helps to have a nice looking model :)

LanK
02-22-2007, 09:52 AM
Azul...thank you! Your words make me chuckle this morning:lol:

My observation skills are so at question at the moment! I look and look and its like looking at ripples on a lake. When I think I have a handle on something, it shifts!

The looks of the model are, fortunately, not a part of this equation! I get to use a ridiculously flattering photo! A friend who looked at this wip asked me who it was. When I told her it was a self portrait - she said "No way - it doesn't look like you at all!" So I showed her the photo I'm working from, since after all "photo's never lie" (at least not in this particular situation where for a change I look better than life), and reluctantly, she agreed it was me.

My mother, who I am taking care of at the moment, had the same response - "It doesn't look at all like you."
But with her it was different. I came around to see the painting from her perspective, and found that she was holding it upside down:) I wonder what she will think of the pig painting???

saintlukesguild
02-22-2007, 12:42 PM
Fire up the stove and knock the rust off the cast iron skillet. Saint Luke is bringing home the bacon. Trudging in three feet of snow, a 400 lb pig on his back. As always, for him, a simple "project" explodes and goes flying off into a masterpiece of art. Hope I will arrive home under the Feb. wire. Keep the faith baby.

LanK
02-22-2007, 01:26 PM
:d

LanK
02-22-2007, 01:27 PM
well that didn't work....let me try again

:D

CaffeinatedBrew
02-22-2007, 04:36 PM
Luke, You're too much!

BTW: hand over a slab of that bacon, willya? I need sustanence for my -own- project! :cat:

Nickel
02-22-2007, 05:48 PM
Fire up the stove and knock the rust off the cast iron skillet. Saint Luke is bringing home the bacon. Trudging in three feet of snow, a 400 lb pig on his back. As always, for him, a simple "project" explodes and goes flying off into a masterpiece of art. Hope I will arrive home under the Feb. wire. Keep the faith baby.

So are we having baloney sandwiches for supper :evil:

Nickel
02-22-2007, 06:12 PM
Laurie I would like to be a birdie and watch you paint in real life.
I think your doing great! Very life like! Nickel

azulparsnip
02-22-2007, 11:04 PM
Here is a study I did today . I didn't get to finish it even. I want to do gel pens under colored pencil or watercolor.

Its a red river hog. and a couple of photos - the one in the grass is by a photographer for the national geographic. I find these critters are lyrical.
I'm so glad we had this challenge or I would have never found out about'em:heart:

Nickel
02-23-2007, 02:01 PM
Here is a study I did today . I didn't get to finish it even. I want to do gel pens under colored pencil or watercolor.

Its a red river hog. and a couple of photos - the one in the grass is by a photographer for the national geographic. I find these critters are lyrical.
I'm so glad we had this challenge or I would have never found out about'em:heart:

Azulparsnip, WHAT a PIG! Wowziee! Never seen one like this before!

Love your study!

Can we put this in the Feb thread also? :wave: Nickel

LanK
02-24-2007, 11:59 AM
Azulparsnip - what a cool looking pig - I completely agree with "lyrical". The middle image looks almost like a guinea pig. Can't wait to see your drawing finished.

Nickel - thank you! Any birdie watching me would probably fly away pretty soon out of boredom though..."are you moving that eye again!?"
and it would be really tired of hearing me talking to myself too..."damn, how did that eye shift this time?!":)

Nickel
02-24-2007, 11:42 PM
Nickel - thank you! Any birdie watching me would probably fly away pretty soon out of boredom though..."are you moving that eye again!?"
and it would be really tired of hearing me talking to myself too..."damn, how did that eye shift this time?!":)

Lol, I'm a lazy bird, sitting around eating worms watching to see how many time you shift that eye. :lol:

LanK
02-25-2007, 09:42 AM
Ah! Company woud be nice then! I could stop talking to myself :D

And...we have a few of these guys around, much tastier than worms....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Feb-2007/96693-image002.jpg

They came in with the ivy plants last fall - the dog won't eat them, he just licks them and makes them curl into balls - then I scoop the poor slimed creatures up and put them back in the corner where they belong!

and, I'm sure I could come up with something better for dessert!

(man, I really think I'm spending too much time alone in this basement:lol:)

Nickel
02-25-2007, 10:43 PM
Oh no, I'm not eating that :eek: :eek: :eek:

Let's save them for Luke :evil: :wave:

LanK
03-05-2007, 03:53 PM
nah...I wouldn't want you to eat them Nickel! Just read the last few posts again and am so glad that you weren't offended - didn't realize how offensive it sounded at the time:rolleyes:

Still plugging away at the sp from January - thought I would post an update and a nose trilogy...

I'm working along, every few days do a bit more and scan what I've completed...suddenly, yesterday I noticed the nose has gone quite askew...looked back and it happened a while ago - I didn't notice and carried on building on a Picasso nose. I found it quite funny - thought I would show you...

Nose from 2 weeks ago...holes and things in the right place...just needs some refinement...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Mar-2007/96693-oldernose.jpg

somewhere this happened - nose tilted (maybe someone punched me? Maybe I was looking at too many pig pictures?) But I kept polishing it up for almost two weeks before I saw what it had become!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Mar-2007/96693-oldnose.jpg

now working at getting it back in the right place. Almost there:)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Mar-2007/96693-newnose.jpg

Here is the whole thing now.. The colours are pretty blue in this scan, irl they are a bit warmer and not so blotchy. I've tidied up the eyes...think they are just about done, worked on smoothing out the flesh tones and hair, painted a bit of a collar, then lost it when I decided the entire thing needed to be sanded It's collecting an enormous amount of dust, fibres, cat & dog hair - no matter what I do with it, and I really want it to have a nice smooth surface. The first layer that I put on after a sanding - I've done that 3 times now...looks so nice. The perfectly smooth oil just glows...:)

Anyway, the collar will hopefully return...not the baroque collar I originally planned, but just a suggestion of the edge of the collar of the t-shirt I'm wearing, rather then the neck just fading to black.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Mar-2007/96693-sp.jpg

If anyone notices anything gone askew - please tell me! I may not notice for another few weeks...

and, thought I would share this...I've been using titanium white, just switched to flake white - what a pleasure! Much more subtle and transparent. Blends down beautifully. First time I used it, I was supposed to be working on enhancing the shadows. I Laid a glaze down, things were looking good, thought I would punch up some of the brighter spots with my "new white," got carried away and ended up lightening everything! Next day...back to laying down a darker glaze....

At this pace, I should be done by next January!

LanK
03-13-2007, 04:39 AM
I think I've had enough of this one for a while....maybe in a few months I will readdress it, but at this point I can't see anymore. Though I must say I am absolutely tickled with it at this point of blindness!

Nickel - the brand of flake white is Michael Harding's...haven't used any other brand so I can't really compare, but it is quite a warm white. I'm having great fun with it!

Started painting tonight just after dinner....its after 4:30 now, maybe thats why I'm ready to pack this painting in?:rolleyes:

Here is where it stands....(irl its a bit cooler) this isn't the entire painting, there is more dark that wouldn't fit on the scanner. If I ever get my hands on a digital camera I'll try taking some pictures...maybe the effect of the layers will be more apparent that way?

Will be back tomorrow to see what everyone's been up to...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Mar-2007/96693-sp.jpg

Nickel
03-13-2007, 06:22 PM
Laurie You are looking perfect from here :)

I'm jealous Michael Harding, I've heard it's really beautiful paint.
I'm glad you are getting to try it first, it's suppose to be
one of the best by a fine paint maker.

What are you working on now?

Nickel

LanK
03-14-2007, 12:30 PM
Thank you Nickel.

I was just lucky with the Michael Harding....it is the only tube of artist's quality paint I have in a mountain of students grade. The small shop I go to, which is now an 1 1/2 hours away...is wonderful. This happened to be the only brand of flake white they had. And, it only cost $6.50. Once I came home and checked the internet, I realized it is a reputable paint brand, and that I got a fabulous deal.

I'm working on my son's portraits still, Mom, and two portraits of friends....one of which, the most recent one I started is blowing me away by the ease with which its coming. I'm hoping it means I've hit a new point on that learning curve! Just counted, and since December, I'm on my 17th portrait...something has to come! Mike is almost done....just a few refinements....that valentine's day challenge will pop up soon (I hope).

So glad that your recovery seems to be coming along quickly!