PDA

View Full Version : Clayboard Bunny

Garbonzo
12-29-2006, 09:59 AM
This is my latest scratching. I thought it might give me some practice with fur. It was a fun piece anyway. It's 8x10. C&Cs very welcome.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Dec-2006/92796-Bunny_scratch.jpg

Bertoni
12-29-2006, 10:42 AM
Harold:
Nice job there! And you've succeeded with the fur! Looks real good!:clap:

Diana Lee
12-29-2006, 12:01 PM
This is absolutely wonderful. Close-ups please! Must see details. What tool did you use?

Diana

Trilby
12-29-2006, 01:24 PM
great stuff, yes details, I want details of the grasses. I really like how you did the negative work there.
TJ

Rodman
12-29-2006, 02:35 PM
love the rabbit but REALLY LOVE the way you handled the background...wonderful...Rod-Man

Celticelf
12-29-2006, 07:32 PM
Oh this is so fine. I did one of my cat, but if you get closer than 6 feet his fur looks like sheep's wool instead of cat. Please show details...please.

Obedec
12-29-2006, 07:34 PM
So cute! So well rendered...such a fantastic and prolific artist!
Awesome!
Karen

Garbonzo
12-29-2006, 07:52 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Dec-2006/92796-Bunny_Scratch_1.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Dec-2006/92796-Bunny_Scratch_2.jpg

Bertoni, thankyou. I wasn't sure if I could get the short fur to look right and still get the rabbit to have some dimension.

Diana, thankyou very much. Here are some close-ups. I mostly used a tool that I made out of an airbrush needle cut off and inserted into a dowel rod. I am still struggling with getting some of the effects I can see in my head but can't seem to translate to the clayboard. For some reason I think I should be able to control it like a pencil. I thought if I used a finer point I might get closer to them but I guess that's what time, patience and practice will reveal to me.

TJ, Thankyou a bunch, I'm still learning about the negative although I've tried to use the same technique in some of my pencil drawings in the past.

Rod-man, thankyou, I appreciate it. The negative stuff looks pretty cool if it's done right. Sometimes I get it OK and sometimes it ends up looking like %^&@$**. This time I guess I got lucky.:)

Garbonzo
12-29-2006, 07:55 PM
Thankyou Karen, you are way too kind but I do appreciate the encouragement. It makes me feel like I'm making some improvements.

Diana Lee
12-29-2006, 08:17 PM
Ooooooo!

Diana

Garbonzo
12-29-2006, 08:47 PM
Terri, thanks, I'm still really green with this scratching. I've done a couple pictures recently that didn't quite look like what I started out trying to draw. I figure you win some you lose some. At least that's what I tell myself.

Diana, you are to kind and I'm such a whiner.

Trilby
12-29-2006, 09:22 PM
When I teach classes in scratchart I've noticed the drawers have a slightly harder time wrapping their brains around the concepts of scratchart. they want to draw---naturally, but it's not a drawing medium it's an engraving medium. though it uses line that use is different than in drawing. Your hands are obviously making the transition but you continue to compare the results to drawings. Just let go and keep developing your wonderful style.
TJ

Dave Slaughter
12-29-2006, 10:50 PM
It really looks great. Are you going to colorize it or leave it as is?

Garbonzo
12-31-2006, 12:16 PM
TJ, thankyou a lot for the encouragement and the insight. I think you're right. I'm a pencil person and I find myself trying get some of the same effects without success. I feel that the transition will come with continued practice and patience. I hope so anyway. Thanks again.

Dave thankyou I'm posting the color version here.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Dec-2006/92796-Bunny_Scratch_Color.jpg

Trilby
12-31-2006, 12:59 PM
oh this looks good colorized, the light spot on his haunch,however, grabs my eye and keeps it from moving through the picture. I wonder if adding some of that light into the highlights on his face wouldn't restore the movement? Just a tiny bit of rescratching over the paint.
I really like the look you achieve. There is such a gentleness in all your pieces, a refinement.
TJ

Rosie_Posie
01-01-2007, 10:22 PM
Beautiful piece! Very soft. I like the colored version too... but I agree with TJ about the light spot, which distracts from the piece as a whole. What bothered me the most at first was the dark spot on the base of the rabbit's rump. It seems too dark and from a distance it almost looks like a piece is "missing" from the rabbit. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but the fur looks fabulous and I love the way you've handled the grass.
Andrea

Garbonzo
01-16-2007, 12:21 AM
TJ and Andrea, I'm sorry I responded to this so late. I'm sure it's probably pointless by now but I thought I should anyway. I agree with you both about the highlight on the rump and the dark spot (shadow) on the rump. Sometimes I don't know exactly what looks right or what is the best way to render something. But with your help I will figure this stuff out. Oh yeah the grass was the easy part for me. Hope you don't mind me answering this late.

Bertoni
01-16-2007, 09:43 AM
WOW! You really worked that color!!!:thumbsup:

Garbonzo
01-16-2007, 09:05 PM
Thanks Bertoni, The color helps hide some of my mistakes sometimes.