PDA

View Full Version : Self portrait

Celticelf
12-27-2006, 02:25 PM
file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/tmote/My%20Documents/Me-12-06/Post%20copy%20Me-12-06.JPG
Okay, you guys have made me take the plunge. I got the drawing done this weekend, (despite bifocals and a hand mirror) and have it very roughly sketched in on black scratchboard. It is very difficult to transfer clearly, but I'm game. I'll post first stage as soon as I can stand the way it looks. :) Terri

Celticelf
12-27-2006, 02:28 PM
Well, ignore that. My drawing went somewhere in cyberspace. I had it pasted rather than attached and I thought I had conquered the gremlins. I'll try again later. Terri

Celticelf
12-27-2006, 05:55 PM
I give up for now. MY drawing is attached, rather than inserted. I hope some kind souls will look at it and give me feedback. I know it was sized properly and I followed the insert image directions, but my library has gremlins. I am doing it 5X7 black scratchboard. Thanks all.:confused:

Diana Lee
12-27-2006, 06:05 PM
What a great picture! I love the hat and the braids should be fun on scratchboard. I can't wait to see the second stage.

Diana

Bertoni
12-27-2006, 07:37 PM
A great WIP!!!:clap:
I like the expression a lot. It should make an excellent scratchboard etching!! Looking forward to the next WIP taking it further toward the finish!:clap:

Celticelf
12-27-2006, 09:57 PM
:) Diana, thanks so much. Bertoni, your encouragement is great. I am so fired up after a long, dry, bogged down period. Thanks guys. Diana, I hope you do decide to do a white clayboard as a WIP. I have one small one partially done that I don't know what to do with next.

Celticelf
01-02-2007, 04:43 PM
Hi there - I want to post my first stage of self portrait. Diana, thanks, I am trying to go from white to black with it. I also went a little larger. It's on 8x10 ampersand white smooth, drawn with Pitt markers with India ink washes. I plan to go darker before scratching. Some areas are obviously done to have something to remove. Please comment. It has taken most of the day just to get these to post since my good scanner at home died a horrible death for New Years, and I am making do with a dinosaur at work.
First is the reference drawing I did last week, then my clayboeard, followed by a small painting done with clayboard inks and both transparent and semi-opaque acrylic inks. I got this far and had no idea where to go next, so I would love to hear any suggestions. Thanks for the space to produce and the encouragement to do it. :)

Diana Lee
01-02-2007, 05:38 PM
Excellant start. Boy, are you going to have fun. I am actually envious of you scratching braids.

Diana

Celticelf
01-29-2007, 01:10 PM
After 2 weeks of internet deprivation and lack of scanner I am ready to post my almost final self-portrait (yes I have problems with closure.) The old scanner I just used lost a lot of the lighter gray values and compression did not help. I really, really would like feedback. I am struggling with learning engraving techniques, but love it. I sigh a lot while looking at the postings here :) First I have my reference drawing, then the scratched board. 8x10 white clayboard smooth, Faber Pitt markers, diluted india washes, mostly #11 exacto knife and a little use of various other scratching tools. Thanks all.

Diana Lee
01-29-2007, 02:12 PM
I think it is looking good. I LOVE the hat! You did a great job on the braids. What about it do you consider unfinished?

I find it difficult to work on a small format like 8 x 10. My old eyes can get more detail in a 3 inch square than it can in a 1 inch square.

You have done a wonderful job. Congrats!

Diana

Celticelf
01-29-2007, 03:23 PM
Diana - thanks so much. It is not so much that I feel anything is unfinished, as that I always look at something and see areas that MIGHT be better if I do just a little more. Anyway, vacation is over, and I want to work on something else, so this will be put away for awhile. Maybe my geriatric chihuahua while she is still around. I was nervous about the braids, but you were right, they were fun. Thanks

Garbonzo
01-29-2007, 07:30 PM
Terri, great portrait. I like how you used the ink washes on the white clayboard. I'm trying to learn to use the white board myself. You handled it very well.

Celticelf
01-30-2007, 10:43 AM
Harold, thanks for encouragement. The only other white clayboard I've used was the small hummingbird one I posted earlier that is unfinished. For me it's baby steps, but I don't really mind growing up in public with kind spirited support. :)

Crias
01-30-2007, 10:48 AM
Hi terri- this turned out great! I like how you did the background- it really brings you out and gives a more 3-d feel.

Celticelf
01-31-2007, 10:35 AM
Thanks Cathy - I cheated and cross-hatched with Pitt markers before I started to scratch cross-hatching. I appreciate the encouragement. :) Terri

Diana Lee
01-31-2007, 11:39 AM
There is no cheating in art, only self imposed challenges.

Diana