PDA

View Full Version : Owl - My first work

Bringer
12-25-2006, 02:27 PM
Hi there,

Hope you people to be enjoying this Christmas season.
For some time that I've been wanting to try scratchboard.
So this Xmas I managed to convince that I needed some «Claybord black» and a toolkit:rolleyes:
I think that I should have kept with only the owl instead of trying the background. I rushed the background.
This medium has a nice effect and I'm sure that I'll enjoy it more as soon as I get more acquainted with its techniques and potentials.
What tool can I use to scrubb large areas leaving a smooth aspect ?
Maybe a fine mesh sandpaper ? Like P600 ?

Kind regards,

José

Bertoni
12-25-2006, 03:08 PM
Jose:
Owl is looking really good!:thumbsup: I'm sure someone on the forum can give you ideas
re: scrubbing areas. I guess fine sandpaper is one way. Some folks use a fiber brush. I haven't tried mine yet though.
Hope you'll be posting more here on the forum as you get acquainted with the medium!!

Diana Lee
12-25-2006, 05:30 PM
Great job! I use steel wool and sand paper for large areas. They leave different textures so which one you use depends on the look you want. Or try both.

Diana

*Marina*
12-25-2006, 05:44 PM
The owl looks great, Jose.

Garbonzo
12-25-2006, 09:59 PM
Jose, your owl picture is very nicely done. I look forward to seeing future scratchings from you.

Trilby
12-26-2006, 06:43 PM
Hey Jose! Santa was good to you, I see. I predict you will become as addicted as the rest of us. You are off to a great start with this owl. It's nicely done for sure. I rather like your background. It's loose and abstract but with the feeling of woods and gives a nice effect. Just a thought, keep the areas around your subject somewhat simple so as not to distract. There are a number of methods for clearing large areas of white from black clayboard. Sandpaper, steel wool (oil free), fiber brushes, scrapers, and an effective one is to cross hatch with a multiple wire tool, like the 5 line tool and then clean the areas yu want to be brightest with the fiber tool on top of the cross hatchings.
Welcome to the medium.
TJ

Obedec
12-26-2006, 10:34 PM
Welcome Jose,
Love those eyes and the movement of the picture. Hope you spend more time over here on the "dark" side.
Karen

Bringer
12-27-2006, 03:24 PM
Hi everyone,

Thank you for your encouragement.
Next time I'll keep it more simple in terms of composition, probably just drawing the main subject.

Kind regards,

José

Celticelf
12-27-2006, 10:15 PM
Jose, the owl is great. You may not be comfortable with the background, but I find it intriguing. It is the type of illusionary work that makes me see faces in the leaves. I like it.

Jo Castillo
12-27-2006, 11:13 PM
José,
Very nice owl. Your great drawing skills are showing.
Jo

Rodman
12-27-2006, 11:23 PM
I love the owl part....your on it....