PDA

View Full Version : Cat's Eyes

Diana Lee
12-23-2006, 01:59 PM
This is a piece I did on an 8 x 10 white clay board with oil paint. I have included a close up of the eye in three stages. The first is painted (I diluted the oil paint) the second is scratched, and the third is painted again with very diluted oil paint. The only hang up I incountered with the oil paint was the drying time, however diluting it with terpenoid and painting on the clay surface made it dry faster.

Diana

Bertoni
12-23-2006, 02:28 PM
Diana:
The detail in this is incredible!!:thumbsup: Impressive to say the least!:clap: :clap: :clap:
I have to learn more how to work with the white claybord!!

Diana Lee
12-23-2006, 02:41 PM
Thanks Burt, I forgot to mention that after I added more paint in the last detail image I went in and scratched a bit more.

Diana

Celticelf
12-23-2006, 03:37 PM
With oils have you tried walnut oil instead of turpenoid and used fastdrying medium? Has anyone tried water-based oil on clayboard? I had no idea this was so flexible. Terri

Garbonzo
12-23-2006, 03:46 PM
Diana, I haven't a clue where you even start a picture on the whith clayboard. Maybe you would do a short wip on it sometime. unless I'm the only one in the dark about it. Those eyes are great. All of them.

Diana Lee
12-23-2006, 06:11 PM
Thanks people.

Terri, I have never used walnut oil, I use terpenoid because the smell of terpentine gives me a headache. I have some water based oils that I plan to experiment with soon.

Harold, perhaps I could do the water based oils as a wip.

Diana

Garbonzo
12-23-2006, 06:43 PM
Diana, as for me I would be greatful whatever coloring medium you felt like messing with. I would just like to see how the white clayboard works. In the meantime I hope you have and enjoy a very Merry Christmas.

Trilby
12-26-2006, 06:52 PM
Dianna, this is stellar, as usual. Thanks for showing the details in a step by step. Seeing your work and having read Charles Ewing's book I've been inspired to try the white clayboard. I did a first study today using ink pens and diluting with wet q-tips then scratching, adding ink, and scratching. For me starting with b/w lets me understand the process before starting with color. Now I'm anxious to try the color. I note that my thinking process was different than when I work on the black board. I had to think more about the shadows and shaping the form as well as thinking about the highlights. Do you find this difference?
TJ

Meisie
12-26-2006, 09:54 PM
Wonderful!!! I simply LOVELOVELOVE the results you get on clayboard (notice the word 'you' :D )

Rodman
12-27-2006, 11:16 PM
outstanding....i've got to try some of that action..thanks for posting...Rod-Man