PDA

View Full Version : Pinch Pot

garyb444
12-23-2006, 01:47 PM
Hi folks. :wave: I am fairly new to WC; so far have just posted a couple of things.

This is my first try at a pinch pot, after finding directions on the web. The clay is an air-dry clay, called Boneware. I have no experience with this clay, so we'll see what happens. I'm trying to dry it slowly under plastic to avoid cracking. So far, so good.

I've been trying to decide which forum suits me better, sculpture or clay. The truth is, I just love working with the clay, particularly water-based. And I really like what can be done with firing and glazing. The idea of sculpting something to cast in bronze doesn't interest me that much. I want the finished product to be in clay. So I am leaning more towards this forum, although I'll keep visiting both. Comments are welcome.

beautifulfreak
12-23-2006, 05:55 PM
No reason both can't be visited. I do both functional pottery and sculptural work...hey i even make furniture from clay(but i don't think I'll be posting questions about it in a furniture making forum). From a technical point of veiw(especially firing and glazing) I think you'll find great advice here on this forum. Personally I just post where ever I think that particular question can be answered best and not try to limit myself to one WC forums only.

garyb444
12-23-2006, 07:28 PM
You're absolutely right - no reason for me to limit myself to one forum. I also do charcoal drawings from time to time (my avatar), so will probably visit some related forums for that too.

I guess for me it's a realization that it's not just the sculpture or design that I want to do - it's the actual clay medium that interests me. I want my finished work to be clay. I like the clay and what can be done with it.

Are you the kiln goddess? I really like that site; it's where I got the instructions for the pinch pot. I also never knew how much can be done with clay without a wheel (handbuilding). I plan on trying some coiling techniques on my next piece in clay class.

Thanks for your comments.

beautifulfreak
12-24-2006, 01:25 AM
yes, I'm the kiln goddes. Glad you found the handbuilding links helpful. Clay is a great medium. So many things you can make in so many ways. Coiling is interesting cause you can go so out of round and have a such an organic form. Have fun working with with your clay.