PDA

View Full Version : getting started

nightblooming
04-08-2002, 12:53 AM
Please forgive the absolute newbishness of this question, but: How does one get started as an illustrator? I know there are a lot of pros on this board--how on earth did you do it?

Thanks in advance.

night

DaveTooner
04-15-2002, 10:12 PM
Here's the best advice I can give:

Get together a portfolio, and get some post card samples of your work printed up. If you have a good quality printer, you can do the postcards on that. Just buy some cardstock printing paper, and cut 'em out with an exacto knife. For the portfolio, there's all kinds available at art stores.

Start by promoting yourself to local businesses and things like that. In this business, like most others, you pretty much have to start from the bottom. The big clients, for one reason or another, seem reluctant to let your art speak for itself -- they want you to be somewhat established. This makes no sense to me, but that's the way it is, and local businesses/small publications are the way to go with this. Leave them some post card samples, or flyers advertising your services. Offer to give them a free portfolio sample. One thing that I've never done, but heard others mention, is to offer to do a free trial illustration for them to see how they like it.

Once you get some work under your belt, contact the big markets. Get a copy of the Artist's and Graphic Designer's Market for contact info, submission guidelines, etc. Usually a SHORT cover letter, samples, and either tear-sheets or a list of places you've been published.

Most importantly, don't give up.

Dave
www.crewstoons.cjb.net

nightblooming
04-20-2002, 07:59 PM
Dear Dave,

I just got back to WC after living without my computer for WAY too long. Thanks so much for your practical advice. I have a lot of work ahead of me!

Warmly,

night

misscat
07-30-2002, 04:12 AM
Did you get cards done?
Did you send them?

How did it go?