PDA

View Full Version : The beauty of gray storm clouds!

Deborah Secor
12-22-2006, 12:30 AM
With all the Christmas rush and my recent emphasis on portraits I haven't done many landscapes, but today I rediscovered this painting that I started in one of my classes, and settled down at the easel next to my little woodstove to finished it. What a breath of fresh air to paint something that comes naturally and easily (unlike portraits...)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Dec-2006/23609-GrayStorm.jpg

As you can see it was one of my 'how to paint living grays' classes. I really like the colors in this one! I've had this photograph for about 20 years now (I remember because it was a trip we took when our son was a newborn), and although I've done versions of it before, I don't think I've ever been as pleased as I am with this one.

I still see a couple of areas that need a tweak or two, such as smoothing out the distant sky in the center and right hand side just a touch more, so I'm open to your critiques. I wish these scans could show the real depth and complexity of color and didn't make the subtle red-rust-orangey-golds in the foreground too reddish looking--but here it is for what it's worth! C&Cs always welcome.

Deborah

David Patterson
12-22-2006, 12:49 AM
Very nice Deborah. You always create such wonderful clouds!:thumbsup:

David

CindyW
12-22-2006, 01:09 AM
Awesome and spectacular.
This strikes a very strong chord with me.

Cindy

Deborah Secor
12-22-2006, 01:12 AM
Thank you, David. I love painting clouds, so it must show.

Cindy, thanks. It was a pretty spectacular day. Glad it resonates with you. :)

Deborah

Trilby
12-22-2006, 02:15 AM
Nothing can I see to critique, other than to state the strength of this landscape is certainly in those gorgeous clouds. I'm going to have to backtrack and read that how to discussion you did on clouds. So these come easily to yu do they, humph, wish they did for me. Good way to spend your day.
TJ

katsarecool
12-22-2006, 02:18 AM
I also love the sky and clouds. This is an awesome recreation! Wow!

JWebber
12-22-2006, 02:26 AM
what a beautiful painting, wish I were going to be there for your workshop...clouds? or will it be night scenes?

cheers, Judy

LEIGH RUST
12-22-2006, 02:33 AM
Just gorgeous Deb! It feels good top get back on familiar territory after stepping outside your comfort zone

cal studio
12-22-2006, 07:46 AM
Deb, This is so wonderful!!! WOW! You really make landscape paintings so very exciting!! Thank you for sharing this with us.
Cathleen

Sunflwr1
12-22-2006, 08:21 AM
Oooo! Beautiful, Deb! Just gorgeous!!

Now if we can just get YOU to do a demo!:D ;)

Marcia

Karen Margulis
12-22-2006, 08:40 AM
Just gorgeous!!! Your clouds are spectacular. I would love to take a cloud workshop from you!

Karen

CJMonty
12-22-2006, 09:46 AM
WOW they are amazing clouds!!!!

CJ

DebbieGS
12-22-2006, 09:54 AM
I second the demo...fantastic clouds!

Pinecone Conniff
12-22-2006, 11:08 AM
Super storm clouds!!...but I also like how you captured the color of the paved highway!:clap:
Annette

Rose Baggs
12-22-2006, 11:16 AM
Beautiful Deborah! I'd love to see a demo too... ;)

Deborah Secor
12-22-2006, 12:13 PM
ESP- Sept. 2005-living grays and cloudy skies (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296466)
Here's a link to an ESP (Explore Soft Pastels--like a classroom) on gray skies. It isn't really a sky demo, per se, but there is some information there from several of our experts.

I thank you all for your compliments. I do love my grays! My husband always kids me about how every color I use in the house is 'muddy gray'. It's not true, they are singing, lovely grays. :D

Deborah

Shari
12-22-2006, 01:03 PM
Deborah,

This is just beautiful and evokes such a feeling in me. My whole family was around the computer when I pulled this up and my husband and kids really oooh'd and ahhh'd over it.

momof6
12-22-2006, 01:39 PM
What a gorgeous painting Deborah! It looks exactly like a road trip I took in Alberta two summers ago - I did a double take because I'm sure I've got some photos that look so much like this landscape (but your painting is more colourful and feels much more alive than my flat photos).

binkie
12-22-2006, 07:40 PM
Absolutely beautiful, Deb! It's obvious that you enjoy painting clouds; you have rendered them so lovingly.

binkie