PDA

View Full Version : inks are inks?

Cherlin
12-20-2006, 04:43 AM
I am learning calligraphy, but I also draw in pen and ink and I use ink with watercolors. I just came across this problem. The pens I have use cartridges. One has a converter, one I can get a converter for it. Here is my dilemma. With my technical pens I was told to always use ink that was specifically listed as made for technical pens. So it wonít jam. I assumed the same applies with calligraphy? Since the cartridge inks are not archival I figured I would use my technical inks and with the converter have a better quality and color options.

But it doesnít work. The moment I put any type of ink (tried two brands so far, have more to try but just got mad and quit) it clogs. The moment I snap on a cartridge it works. So I know it is not the pen. Is the cartridge ink even finer? What could I get that would insure it would work? Has anyone else done this with success? The pen I have tried to use with the converter so far is Staedtler. I have a Sheaffer that I can purchase a converter for but havenít as of yet. I want to solve this problem first.
The inks that I have tried out so far are both made by Koh-I-Noor. One is called drawing ink and one is called Trans.mix.media brilliant ink. Both are sold as being approved for technical.

Can anyone shed a light on this dilemma? I am hoping that this is not an original problem, but one that a lot have tried to figure out.

Thanks for the help in advance.

TessDB
12-22-2006, 07:36 AM
Hi, Cherlin! :wave:

have you asked your question in the regular pen & ink forum? This is such a sleepy little corner of wc, I bet the folks who know something haven't wandered in here yet.

Either way, I'm curious about what you find out. Learning calligraphy is one of my goals for next year.

Tess

Cherlin
12-22-2006, 09:19 AM
thanks for the idea. will do now. was wondering why i was getting no results. usually a question is answered in a few hours

thanks