PDA

View Full Version : new abstract painting(s) -- "Inside the Rabbit Hole" and others.

Darabos
12-18-2006, 12:03 PM
So here is the design for a new series of paintings I have had in mind for the past 6 months to a year or so.
Well, I guess this is the entire painting but done on computer instead of canvas for now... kind of wondering what people think before I paint it.

Any comments, suggestions, thoughts, etc would be appreciated.
I'm kind of wondering if these are as interesting to other people as they are (ironically) to myself.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Dec-2006/81402-untitled.JPG
Title: "Inside the Rabbit hole"
Medium: Acrylic on canvas
Dimensions: 24" x 24"
Style: I'm not sure what style this would be. Abstract? Minimalism? Post-Modernism? not sure.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Dec-2006/81402-untitled2.JPG
Title: "Life Without the Existence of a Greater Being"
Medium: Acrylic on Canvas
Dimensions: 48" x 24"
Style: (see above)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Dec-2006/81402-untitled.JPG
Title: "Macro Shot of Crow's Feather"
Medium: Acrylic on Canvas
Dimensions: 12" x 24"
Style: (see above, above)

So that is the general concept of the set.
I figured around 12 pieces.
Not sure where I'd try to send them to though. Anyone happen to know of art galleries who would love something like this?

I'm not sure how it works with anyone else, but when I read the title along with the blackened canvas, I always imagine what the title suggests, instead of just a black canvas. Almost as if I actually painted an entire crows feather on canvas, and then just re-covered the whole painting in black. Sort of like a psychological take on fine art, to a point.

Any thoughts would be wicked awesome.

Thanks.

graeler
12-18-2006, 05:03 PM
I think irony has been done to death, and in far more novel ways. But if it floats your boat and you can sell it power to you.

I'd also say that if you're going to go this route, shouldn't you give the viewer something? Why not paint suggestions of the subject in slightly different blacks? Either several different hues (there are after all varieties of black), or using an extremely condensed value scale? Make it subtle, but perceptible. Would counter the inevitable observation that you hadn't actually painted anything but canvas.

BlueRiderMan
12-18-2006, 06:12 PM
gonna have to compete with this guy--

http://www.guggenheimcollection.org/site/date_work_md_133A_1.html

Darabos
12-18-2006, 06:48 PM
WHAT?!?
seriously?

i hate it when you think of a weirdly good / unique-ish idea only to find out someone you've never heard of has already done it. lol
hmmm.

i kind of agree with the different hues thing.
though i dont think its necessary.
people have done things WAY more simple than this and became rich and famous from it.

Milon
12-18-2006, 08:42 PM
I understand you want a startled and different reaction from the viewer. This was my honest reaction:

First I got great espectations from the title and then a bit disappointed when I saw the black canvases. I also remembered that this had been done before.

But I understand how you feel. I have also gotten ideas that I thought was great and then discovered that someone else already had done it before. It's so annoying and it almost feels like you're robbed of something valuable.

H2O_Baby
12-18-2006, 09:00 PM
I was amused. Good titles. I particularly like the fact that you developed the spiritual essence of ... whatever... as you progressed. Abode ->Existance-> and perhaps it should be micro shot. :o)

Better copyright or someone will be selling copies of your work as Giclee' "original prints".

You are going to have to be a great salesperson to live off of these, but others have done it. Remember the pet rock, the 60 minute painting and architecture of the 1960s!!!

ryan-eric
12-18-2006, 11:29 PM
i would love to have a full exhibition like this in my future gallery get with me in a year or so :)

Diane Cutter
12-19-2006, 07:54 AM
I've edited and removed a number of posts in this thread as they are in conflict with the User's Agreement.

Harrassment is not permitted nor are personal attacks nor inflammatory posts. The best solution is to report them 'privately' using the ‘Report a Post’ (exclamation) icon. This is a reminder to all.

If there are problems with this, please pm either myself or Michael, your Ab/Con moderators (Kerri is out on maternity leave). I also suggest that you re-read the User Agreement for proper conduct.

Diane

veedubya
12-19-2006, 08:38 PM
I think these are fun and playful. Interesting that they evoked hostility.

I think well painted black canvases might be an interesting series. I've been mesmerized by some of the minimalist work I've seen in museums. Why not?

Darabos
12-19-2006, 10:25 PM
thanks for thoughts.

ryan-eric -- you can have the whole series to display in your gallery whenever it opens.

H2O Baby -- thanks. and yes, they're already painted, dated, copyrighted, etc. so no worries there. lol

veedubya -- yes, definately evoked a little hostility. art that evokes emotions... sounds good already i think.