PDA

View Full Version : First go at gouache - "devotion"

kwint
12-19-2006, 01:37 AM
http://www.karenwinters.com/blogimages/devotion.jpg

This is about 7.5 x 9" gouache on matboard. I painted from several photo references and imagination, with quite a bit of improvising thrown in.

My primary medium is watercolor. Recently, I have recently begun to paint in oils, but I am also intrigued by the opacity of gouache and acrylic. And it's so much neater to scan for posting that putting a wet oil face down on the scanner. (Just kidding :lol: )

Sonia
12-19-2006, 12:19 PM
Nice work - I like the opaqueness you have achieved. That's something I find difficult - I always lean towards a watercolour effect, no matter how hard I try not to.

kwint
12-20-2006, 05:13 PM
Thanks, Sonia.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by 'try not to' since you have control over the thickness of the gouache.

If you mix it up to the consistency of thick cream it will be opaque and then you can layer it like oil or acrylic . It won't get transparent on you unless you mix in too much water. Maybe start with less and see how it works?

Sonia
12-24-2006, 11:13 AM
Karen, I just seem to have this in-built tendency to water down any paints I work with!! It may also have something to do with my frugal nature and attempts to make the paint go further :D

osidianrose
01-06-2007, 11:28 AM
Good first try at Gouache. My only suggestion is for you to work on the hands.