PDA

View Full Version : Week 51 & 52 Classical Art Journey

Nickel
12-16-2006, 11:51 PM
My goodness, I never thought these last weeks would get here so fast.
What a great journey we've had. I've learned so much in the past year!
It's been great to share all the weeks we've had, great art, fun, just too
much to try and put into a short paragraph. I really appreciate everyone
who has stopped in and shared some of their studies.

And I really appreciate the core of folks that have really taken an interest
in making this journey the best experience for me and each other.
I thank each of you for your support of the journey,
your support of the classical forum, and
I appreciate our fourm moderator Barb and
my co-guide Anita.
And not to forget, our past guide Rose who is such a busy bee.
There are others, now moved on to other distance lands so to speak.
They came before me, they laid the ground work for this forum and
there will be others after me.
I just wanted to say thank you to all of you past, present, and future.
It's been great! And next year will be greater!!!

Feel free to express your thoughts in the next weeks if you'd like.
Post a picture if you want of your favorite study.
Or just stop by and say hi.
And of course if you want, please post your studies if
you are still working on them in the next two weeks.
I'll be around.
Merry Christmas friends and Happy New Year.
Will see you to start week 53 soon.

I am going to end our year with Carvaggio's Rest on the Flight into Egypt.
It's time to rest ourselves, take a break and spend some time with
our families and loved ones.
Recharge our batteries and prepare for the New Year.

Sincerely Nickel

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Dec-2006/39040-caravaggio.jpg

Galleria Doria Pamphili, Rome

azulparsnip
12-17-2006, 11:13 AM
Yes, what a great accomplishment - being a guide for a year - you have touched my life the short time I have been here and I appreciate it much.

Here is a WIP - Charles Courtney Curran - in Luxembourg Garden

Mony G
12-18-2006, 08:18 AM
Great Nickel!:clap:

Thank you for all your efforts during this year we have spent together ... you have all been fantastic company too!:thumbsup:

I'll try to post something new in these days ...

bye for now

Mony

Granby
12-18-2006, 11:25 AM
Hi everybody,

I am so glad and thankful I found this place, this is a fantastic group and I have learned so much. Thanks everybody for sharing your work, I know its always hard for me to press that post button and put my work out there for everybody to see. It really helps me a lot to see what other people are working on. Thank you Nickel for the work you put into running these weekly threads - and I thought your bodegon last week was really great, lots of potential to be a masterpiece.

Azulaparsnip - your study is coming along great, the colors are beautiful.

I love that Caravaggio painting, that light hearted angel in the middle splitting the composition is one of my favorite things I've ever seen painted - may have a go at it for an oil study if an angel miracuously descends and makes me some time.

Nickel - One idea for next year might be to compose an original drawing or painting using a borrowed sculpted figure as the main character. I have read that one of my favorite painters, Francisco Hayez, used several Canova sculptures as the base models for his paintings. Just an idea. Take care everyone.

Here is a feet and legs study I did last week from a picture of an Antonio Canova sculpture - 'sleeping nymph'. I spent hours trying to get that top foot just right.

PushingPixels
12-18-2006, 08:51 PM
WOW Granby.... this is a really good study. Yep them feet and hands can really be a challenge to me too. That is what I like about this forum you can hone your skills without fear of intimidation cause everyone is SO supportive.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Dec-2006/44004-hugs.jpg:evil:

azulparsnip
12-19-2006, 09:17 AM
Granby - that foot is particularly awesome:thumbsup:

What a sweet photo, Pushy.

PushingPixels
12-20-2006, 10:05 AM
"But I think I rather be here and paint with what little time I have."
one big ditto Nickel. My life is too complicated (and technical) as is. I come here to just have fun. If it aint fun don't do it....
barb :)

Mony G
12-20-2006, 01:12 PM
Hi!:wave:

Granby.. your foot is very very good! I find feet so difficult to draw ...I practiced and practiced last year on them! Now I manage to draw them fairly well, but yours are also in quite a difficult position !.. and I also approve your study Idea...maybe it could become a monthly project?

I'm showing you my Xmas effort : no peacock this time but a....
.... Christmas Robin!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Dec-2006/77963-File0640ZIP.jpg

It's my latest pastel effort which ended up driving me crazy !
Pastels aren't made for me ! they get so blunt and I find them so hard to shade properly and to made nice lines with them .

I'll drop in another time for my Xmas greetings... so take care for now, all of you.

Mony

Nickel
12-20-2006, 02:56 PM
Hi Barb, glad you feel like me, I don't feel so lonely, tech stuff..blah.

Hi Mony, how pretty, she, she is a girl Robin right :D
She is so pretty!!!!
I love the whole picture! She looks cold ;)

I finished mine, I'm surprised, it's a crop from our intro this week from

Carvaggio's Rest on the Flight into Egypt

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Dec-2006/39040-31.jpg

Merry Christmas, See you later. Hope Santa brings you paint brushes & paint & perfume! Granby, the perfume can be for your wife :D Nickel

Don't forget to post your little birdie in the Christmas ornament thread Mony, and everyone else, please help decorate our little tree. I've heard rumors we are going to have a very big tree :) haha, just kidding.

artbyjune
12-21-2006, 01:18 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Dec-2006/11473-shebadrw1wc1.jpg

:D I am kind of working on draperies this week... kitten in the middle of cloth and cushions. I still need to put in a few of the dark darks...and I think I will then paint it in ET. The cushions/cloths are mainly purpley colours.

Its small- 5 by 7 ins, and for a pet commission. This won't be the final composition...this is just to get me started thinking about this white and ginger kitten's character, etc.

But its such a beauty of a cat, I think it will be very enjoyable to paint, when I get round to it.

Nickel, that's a beautiful study of Caravaggio, and so appropriate for the Christmas image.

Mony, what a great robin. I love robins and they sing great.

Pixels, I adore trolls.

Granby, a terrific study of the figure/feet. I seem to remember doing a drawing of a foot earlier this year.

I'm getting into the Christmas spirit by eating far too much...
:clap: :clap:

artbyjune
12-21-2006, 01:21 AM
Hope you have a happy Christmas everyone.

I'm also starting to think a classical art web blog might be a lot of work. I have my own blog and never have time to update it. But if we all participate maybe it would work...not sure. Tripod is a fairly user-friendly site.

Mony G
12-21-2006, 10:02 AM
S.t.Monkey... your cat IS awesome... are you so good at drawing animals? YOU amazed me!

Nickel... do you remember me drawing the same subject in summer? Is yours pastel too? I like the Madonna's expression.. it isn't so easy as she is sort of flat in the original painting...
I realized it when I made mine!

..what is the Christmas Ornament thread all about, can you post Xmas subject drawings or something like that?

and the funny little fucsia lady troll...she's soo.. sweet !

We really are a great bunch!:thumbsup:

PushingPixels
12-21-2006, 09:04 PM
Oh what lovely peices. Love them ALL. Nichel your Madonna is so sweet. :clap: :clap: Good work Mony and stumptail!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Maybe I'll get somethin done... so much to do....:wave:

tyree
12-21-2006, 11:21 PM
hi everyone....im down with a virus this week..missed work..and my family xmas party:( will be back soon to comment on all of your wonderful pieces!!!! great work everyone....tyree:wave: :heart:

PushingPixels
12-22-2006, 02:21 AM
Tyree FEEL BETTER!!!

Here is a Bobcat done in pastel.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Dec-2006/44004-bobcatsm.jpg

Mony G
12-23-2006, 09:58 AM
I'm afraid this is my last post before Christmas ... http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Dec-2006/77963-christmastree.gif

Merry Christmas !

...and have good fun opening your presents !!...

Mony

Granby
12-26-2006, 06:36 PM
Hi everybody,

Hope everyone had a very merry christmas. Hope you feel better Tyree - I've had a virus also and skipped all the christmas parties as well. Pixels - great bobcat - plus high degree of difficulty with the fur color patterns.

Here is a sketch I managed to put together for the last week - loosely after a study by Pietro Cortona.

Original Image: http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/BEN/355165~Head-of-an-Angel-Posters.jpg

I'm gonna try and paint this the old renaissance style and use this as an underdrawing. Green earth underpainting, warm green shadows (verdaccio), red on her cheecks, nose and elsewhere (at this point she will look very much like a christmas tree). Then finish her up painting flesh tones over everything. I suspect a disaster in the making but you may see her again if everything works out.

PushingPixels
12-27-2006, 07:04 AM
very good granby.. I'd love to see her finished up.. There are no failures just do overs... "City Slickers"
It's the doing that makes us better, I threw a few do overs out just yesterday. LOL

artbyjune
12-27-2006, 08:10 AM
I love the bobcat, pixels.

Also admire the portrait, Granby. Waiting to see the colour version. Will it be in tempera??

Granby
12-28-2006, 09:59 AM
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the kind feedback on my drawing - I like it too. I can't figure out this art thing - somedays I can barely draw a stick figure and then sometimes something good pops out.

Nickel - Sorry about your Madonna and Child, that really sucks - it was coming along very well.

Here is a link to the first spooky green martian version of my lady which I posted to the renaissance thread if anyone wants to peek at it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=344543&stc=1&d=1167232816

tyree
12-28-2006, 10:19 PM
nickel....that is so upsetting about your madonna piece, it was so lovely...i am finally starting to feel better...missed about two weeks of work with this stuff...but, am much stronger now....thanks everyone for kind comments...looking forward to seeing whats on the agenda for sat....tyree:wave:

Mony G
12-30-2006, 12:13 PM
What a pity for Nickel's Madonna! Been away for a few days in Meran... learnt about it today... hope you've all had a good Xmas ... I've got no perfume! Are you all well? I really hope so!
I like Granby's drawing .. it looks green on the link but it's nice just the same.

Happy New Year's Eve to you all ...