PDA

View Full Version : Rough sketches

Jangogh
04-06-2002, 10:55 PM
Hi

Have been asked by a publisher to submit some rough sketches for a book. They have seen my portfolio already and are deciding on an illustrator.

I am new to this. How rough is rough?

Thanks
Janet

dhenton
04-08-2002, 08:19 AM
Not being an illustrator, and not playing one on TV, I have read a number of book sections on the subject. What I've read emphasizes the submissions ability to communicate the idea to the editor, so he can say yes or no.

The Hildebrants, whose fame came from the Tolkien calendars of the late 70's, would submit a few pencil renderings complete enough to immediately be painted--all the elements decided, composition, lighting, focal subject.

They emphasized the idea that the initial submission should help the editor do his job.

Good Luck

Jangogh
04-08-2002, 02:58 PM
Thanks d

Kind of had short notice on this. What you had to say makes perfect sense.

Janet

NYIllustrator
04-18-2002, 09:54 PM
It depends on your sytle, often if the style is loose so are the sketches. If they want more detail more often than not they will let you know.

Jangogh
04-18-2002, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the input.

The art director ended up calling me for an appt before the deadline. So I got to go in and explain myself. Also got to share ideas on other projects.

Got a call the other day that they chose another illustrator (I REALLY would have been surprised if they chose me as I am so new to this). But they want to talk about another book and some of my ideas next week. Just kind of amazed at how all this is happening.

Janet

NYIllustrator
04-18-2002, 11:21 PM
yeah, Ive been trying to get a book deal for a long time and I cant. How did you land this oppertunity? Did you know someone?

Jangogh
04-19-2002, 12:07 AM
For some reason, my first reply is in cyberspace somewhere. Probably a good thing as it was a bit long. So here's the shorter version.

I did a small book for a class assignment. It went over really well and so I thought I would self publish and have it for sale where I sell my paintings.

I planned to meet with a printer on a Monday. The Friday before a local tv station was interviewing exhibitors at an art fair in the arena. The book publisher was one that they interviewed. They said they did all sorts of publishing and were looking for illustrators and authors.

So I thought, why not, and went down and talked to them. Ended up sending them my portfolio.

There were some other off the wall kinds of things that happened, but basically that's how it started.

If you want, I can email you their website address. I tried accessing your website to do so, but it was taking a while to download.

Janet

NYIllustrator
04-19-2002, 11:33 AM
that would be great. My email is [email protected] Thanks again!