PDA

View Full Version : Art Reception Tonight!!!

Darabos
12-15-2006, 10:08 PM
So I went to my first art reception tonight.
It was a college-related art exhibit,
so most of the people that were entered were pretty geeked out about it.

I was moderately excited, but not overly considering I've been in a lot of galleries anyways.
BUT... I enter the gallery, start looking around, then realize hardly any of my paintings are marked or priced. So I'm like, wtf?!?
So the owner sees me and asks whats up and we talk, and I mention it, etc.
Come to find out, they couldn't correctly label 15/20 paintings because of not enough detail, i guess. also, about 10 of the paintings were upside down or sideways, so much so that 2 or 3 of them I just left alone cause I felt like an ass turning them all around.

but by the time i left the owner invited me to enter another major exhibit during the summer, and had me fill out papers for a newspaper interview for the current exhibit.

and p.s. is it just me, or do art openings seem like a lot of brown nosing? lol

Papierboi
12-16-2006, 01:17 AM
Oh no :-( (The failed reception)

But oh yeah!! (The invitation to do another exhibit, the interview)

I'll never be a "real" artist who shows much because I have found, after 28 years, that I am simply not made to schmooze.

Good luck with your upcoming show!!

DMC

gingery
12-16-2006, 06:30 AM
Yep, openings are definitely about smoozing & brown nosing.:rolleyes: I guess the lesson learned is to mark your paintings (on the back) so they won't be hung incorrectly in the future. Congrats on your future show!:thumbsup:
ginger

pakc
12-16-2006, 08:25 AM
How nice....art receptions, the concept of talking to other art lover's.
How awful.....that your work was not exhibited correctly.
How wonderful......that you have an opportunity to get it done again....and this time correctly.
How exciting.....that you will get "media" coverage.
How boring.......all that nonsense talk about nothing. No one really wants to listen....but they want to tell you what they think about your work and what they see...even if it is not represenatational.

You will learn to smooze and you will learn to listen.....and then suddenly you will learn you are not out on a limb "naked" when you are exhibiting your work.

LOL.....just have fun.

wiscojaydub
12-16-2006, 10:27 AM
E..dging
G.........od
O.............ut...don't let it happen to ya! Foot in the door..exposure....Keep on trucking!!!!!!!!

whizzysha
12-16-2006, 11:59 AM
:eek: sorry about wrong way round thing, bet that was awful for you,
I sent one of mine to be mounted and framed not long back and it came back the wrong way up and I was livid :mad: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - I think people don't listen sometimes.

also I wish you every success for the next one!!:)