PDA

View Full Version : Summer Palace - gouache on acrylic

wkmoore
12-15-2006, 01:36 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Dec-2006/96301-IMG_1885_Large.jpg
Hello again all. Same techniques employed here as in last post. Once the blending of the gouache is nailed.. then lusterous effects can be achieved. This piece shows a farmer lady visiting the city of Beijing, on an outing to the Summer Palace on a boat cruising man (woman?) made cannals. You have to imagine the Summer Palace.

pinkrybns
12-16-2006, 06:41 PM
Ahhhhh, another exciting piece!
May I ask, what is the support you're painting on? Any you prefer over others?

meglyman
12-18-2006, 08:38 AM
Another excellent work! And that elusive gouache blending that you do so well... I'm trying to figure out how to "nail" it myself. I just keep lifting. :rolleyes:

I'm wondering if maybe gouache is best suited for faces with lots of "character" - i.e. wrinkles and textures, as opposed to smooth faces. Painting an older person is difficult - I couldn't imagine trying to blend a baby's smooth face!

wkmoore
12-18-2006, 12:39 PM
Hi Judy, These last pieces were done on illustration board which offer a nice surface. I think they were cresent 300... but I'm going to start working on strathmore 500. I'm going to try gesso on hardboard soon and then get back to you. Glad you like the work... going to check your work after this.

wkmoore
12-18-2006, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the compliments Megly! I recommend getting a scrap piece of paper or illustration board and practice laying on 2x2 inch squares of color or just black or white. The trick is not to get too much water with the material. You will discover quickly the right water/material ratio with some experimentation. Layering guache is also tricky and requires practice.. and in my case lots of practice. I find a #2 watercolor brush works well for blending areas - working the material with a soft touch. One excercise that is useful is to make a bar - one end black the other white and do a smooth transition. Takes practice but you will learn quickly. Best of luck!

pinkrybns
12-18-2006, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the answers William.

Glad you like the work... going to check your work after this."

:eek: :eek: well, be prepared for some lousy stuff then! :lol: :lol: I'm just at the beginning of "my adventure" with a brush ...

wkmoore
12-18-2006, 02:32 PM
I disagree! I like your still lifes very much. I look forward to seeing more. Regards..