PDA

View Full Version : Gouache Cat

meglyman
12-14-2006, 07:01 PM
Here's a cat and mouse in gouache. I haven't done many paintings in gouache, and I'm looking for suggestions for improvement. Specifically, I had trouble layering colors in the wall to create the shadow. Also, I had to repaint a small area inside the cat, and I ended up repainting the whole cat, and even though it was dry it went from nice & even to mucky & lifting. The two colors I blended even separated out. So, C&C welcome!!

There are some close-ups of texture details and a "what I learned" post in my blog (http://kolyma.blogspot.com/2006/11/bison-chocolate-stout-and-gouache.html).

Finally, you can see the scan lines where I patched it together - it was too big to fit on my scanner. Each time I scanned a quarter of it on the exact same settings, but each corner looked a little different. Any suggestions to help prevent that?

Thanks for looking,
Meg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Dec-2006/89276-meglyman_catnmouse.jpg

artbyjune
12-15-2006, 10:52 AM
Thats a very cute blue mouse, Meg. Is this for a children's book?

I've used gouache for a cat portrait and for horses and I didn't get a problem with layering. I think its maybe best to use your paint thin for the first layer and thicker for subsequent layers to prevent lifting.

If the paint is too watery for second layers, it will probably seep into and lift the underpainting.

katsarecool
12-15-2006, 10:54 AM
This is a cute painting and would be great for a children's book!

meglyman
12-15-2006, 05:16 PM
Thank you both for looking! It's just a painting for fun. And I definitely made the first layer too thick. Inside the cat I didn't intend on having two layers... but an error forced my hand, and I used the same batch of paint to layer on top. First layer too thick, second too thick and too wet. Lesson learned. :D

Paulafv
12-17-2006, 07:21 PM
Meg,

You painted the picture, you are creative, you write the story (simply for a small child) and you reap the benefits, I hope. If you can paint, you can do anything.

Merry Christmas,

Paula