PDA

View Full Version : Gouache on acrylic

wkmoore
12-14-2006, 02:11 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Dec-2006/96301-El_Gentleman_Large.jpg
I like doing abstract watercolor type backgrounds in acrylic then paint portraits using gouache on top. Works like a charm. I've done a series of these and they seem to be well liked. The trick of working the gouache is patience. I build up layers to a certain thickness that allows the moistened gouache to be blended into subtle value and color changes. The right thickness of the material is crucial or the blending will appear crude. Practicing thickness/wetness will allow you to know when you have it right. But be prepared for initial failures... never mind.. be fearless and keep going till you get it. I will post more of these soon. Cheers!

Sonia
12-14-2006, 03:06 PM
Splendid - and welcome to this forum. Look forward to seeing more of your work.

pinkrybns
12-14-2006, 03:17 PM
Excellent, excellent!!!
(like your profile pic too... :D heh heh, GREAT!!!)
Thanks so much for showing us and welcome to the forum!

~Judy

wkmoore
12-14-2006, 03:39 PM
Thank you for the warm welcome. I see there will be lots of opportunity to learn from all the participants. May we all produce more and better works!

meglyman
12-14-2006, 05:56 PM
This is a wonderful portrait. Thanks for the hints on gouache - and your work looks so good, I'd appreciate any more advice you can give!!

wkmoore
12-14-2006, 06:58 PM
Thanks megly.... Be glad to take a look at your work.

Terry Wynn
12-15-2006, 12:18 PM
Wow, love your painting and thanks for sharing techniques. Looking forward to more posts from you!

Terry