PDA

View Full Version : Have I made an obvious mistake?

dvallere
12-11-2006, 04:23 PM
Hi all,

For an upcoming project with a medieval feel I wanted to use egg tempera instead of my usual acrylics, just to get the authenticity thing going. I bought my first couple tubes of egg tempera today and am dismayed to find that Viridian is a transparent color.

I tried only the Viridian because I want to be able to return the others if they are all going to be transparent. I can't return them if they're used.

After thinking it over, it seems that e.t. paints WOULD be transparent in most cases because egg yolk thins down to clear if you spread it finely enough. Is this true? Does it depend on the pigment?

I'm rather new to art in general so there is a lot I am still learning...I thought it would be as easy as have an idea, pick up a brush, and go. But this is not turning out to be the case.

Thank you for any feedback.

Donna

turlogh
12-11-2006, 09:47 PM
Egg tempera is overall a semi-transparent medium, and viridian is fairly transparent in it. Some other pigments are much more opaque.

You can make any tempera color more opaque by adding titanium white. Even a little bit will increase opacity a lot. You can also build up many layers of tempera fairly quickly, so transparency is less of an issue than you might think.