PDA

View Full Version : what's wrong w/my auctions?

kjsspot
04-06-2002, 11:15 AM
Hi ya'll. Last weekend I have my first weekend where NOTHING sold. Normally, I sell just about everything that I put out there. Now this weekend, so far I only have two auctions with bids and they are both FP auctions that I will lose money on if they don't increase. I'm really nervous. I don't know if I can take another weekend with no sales.

Anyway, my question is, can ya'll spot anything that may have changed in my auction pages? I mean, have I added something that might be turning my clients off?

I just started listing paintings for my Mom as well on her own ID. It seems the death of the bids lines up with this. But I can't see how that would turn off buyers. Also, about the same time that sales dropped, I added a link to my website on my About Me page.

Now, maybe it's just coincidence. I dunno. LoL I'm grasping at straws here. Does anyone have any insight that perhaps I'm missing?

THANKS!

Sumafra
04-06-2002, 01:08 PM
Funny you should say that. Last week, I listed 5 items, 2 of which were feature plus. I sold nothing. My fees were in excess of $50 for these auctions with no sales. That's really made with rethink this whole thing.

They were 10 day auctions. I wasn't getting any action. So just before the second weekend, I change the opening bids to $1 and put in a reserve. I had bids on 3 of them but the reserve wasn't met on any of them. Two of them had a reserve a little higher than what I normally get, simply because they are better and bigger paintings that I'm not willing to practically give away. The other 3 were priced quite low.

So, I don't know. Is there a slowdown at Ebay??? Or is it just us? I doubt that we're the only ones experiencing this and would like to hear about other's experiences. At the moment, I'm really leary of even listing again. I know that I will, but I think I'll take a little break first.

hairballsdotcom
04-06-2002, 02:27 PM
SAME HERE! I've had very little activity in the past couple of weeks. Hits are down by half and I've sold precious little. Was selling great before that.

AND (this is an interesting side note) my free drawing entries (on my website) that usually average 30 a month, dropped to 12 for March!!!! Something is definately weird. I haven't had that few of entries since last fall. I looked at entries for last year -- feb, mar, april, and there was very little difference in the number of entries per month. So whats different this year?

Whatever the reason hope it recovers soon.

CathyD
04-06-2002, 07:28 PM
I wondered if sales would drop around eastertime. Maybe people are spending their money on other things. I don't know about your area, but people around here buy new church clothes and things for Easter Sunday. Plus the fact that it's spring break and kids here get out of school for a week and a lot of families take off on a little vacation.
Maybe all that would cut down on buyers. My auctions all sold but I just had a couple of miniature prints and then I also listed 2 small paintings starting at $1. My auctions ended up totalling $50.
I've found that during the slower times my under $15 minimum bid items always seem to sell.

Sumafra and Kjsspot, what did you start your feature plus auctions at? I was thinking of running a couple this next week, but now I wonder if I should wait to do featured plus until things pick up.

Cathy

kjsspot
04-06-2002, 09:20 PM
Ugh. I have three FP auctions out there right now. Two I started at $24.99, normal starting price. Both have the opening bid on them. Basically, at that price I break even with the fees.

Then ending last week as an experiment, I tried a $1 auction with a low reserve. I didn't get a single bid. So on Thrusday I relisted it. This time I'm trying the FP auction, again starting at $1 but with no reserve. Well, it ends on Sunday and is currently at $5.50. LoL It was probably a bad weekend to try this experiment. LoL But perhaps it'll go up last minute. I dunno. I sure hope so!! Otherwise I'm basically out $40. Ugh. LoL

Here's the auction if you want to watch and see how it does tomorrow.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=855244588

Thank you all for responding. At least I'm not the only one slow right now, but still, for me to get absolutely NO sales? Boy, that was a bit hard to chew. <g>

kjsspot
04-06-2002, 09:24 PM
Suzette, just an FYI. And I don't know if this is true, but it's what I've heard. I've heard that on Ebay you need to keep a steady presence. That if you drop off for a bit, it'll take a while to build back your sales. I dunno. Perhaps cutting back would be better than taking a break.

CarlyHardy
04-06-2002, 09:56 PM
My bidding has been slower this past week also. I think its a combination of things....Spring Break across the country, the Easter holidays, and tax season is upon us! In the retail business, it's death zone just before tax season! That's why all the stores offer such great sales opportunities!

Staying consistent at ebay is better than an on-again off-again business. Your clients will notice inconsistency....even if they're not bidding! That doesn't mean you have to keep an auction going all the time....just consistency with listing and follow-thru. You have to take a look at your overall sales for a longer period of time to really know when you're making a profit or not. That's true of any business.

I'd reconsider using FP if it were costing me a lot of money, however. It took about three months for me to begin to see a consistency in # of views when I first began on ebay...and its taken over a year for my work to begin to generate more bids and higher prices. I still don't sell all that I list but overall...I do show a profit and I'm happy with that!

So hang in there!
carly

Sumafra
04-07-2002, 03:38 PM
Trying to time things right is such a difficult thing, isn't it? I thought that having auctions ending on Easter would be a good thing. Here in Canada, Easter for most people is a 4 day weekend. Lots of time to shop online. Of course, now that I think of it, Easter sunday most people are having Easter dinner with family, so NO it wasn't a good time. Oh well, chalk it up to experience and try again, I guess.

Sumafra
04-07-2002, 09:46 PM
Well, I was going to take a break for a while but you guys convinced me otherwise. So I listed a few pieces today. But I do so with care. No feature plus, a couple of $1 items and a few others quite reasonably priced. We'll see how that does.

Dave Carter
04-08-2002, 11:22 AM
Slow for me too! Just the season...we hope! Collectables are still selling better than my paintings. This is the first week I've offered some full-sheet watercolors (none recent), just to test the waters and I will be looking closely at the counters. I keep forgetting to add the wetcanvas tag, I'll have to do better. I intend to keep at it on ebay...outside of wetcanvas, I have never had a larger audiance!!!:cat:

geckonia
04-10-2002, 12:43 PM
Carly, I think you nailed it. People don't buy cars this time of year, so they probably don't buy art either!