PDA

View Full Version : poodle curls

pencilnpen
12-10-2006, 10:22 PM
Hi everyone, trying to get started on a new commission- this poodle and the picture isn't very clear- does anyone have a poodle ref pic similar to him that i can use? and suggestions on the curls?

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o155/rgortonart/commissions/mail-2.jpg

Robin

jody007
12-11-2006, 10:12 AM
:wave:

I hope you don't mind, I took your photo and made it black and white so maybe you could see the curls. But it still is very hard to see the curls.
Have you put a request in the RL for a poodle picture? I am sure someone will be happy to help you out with one. I can't wait to see you paint this dog.
I hope you post it as a wip.

Jody:D

pencilnpen
12-11-2006, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the help- i don't know why it is so hard to get this one started-i will check the RL, am trying to decide between graphite or pastel- even dreaming about this guy- since i normally work in acrylic, this is going to be a challenge

Ceiliog
12-11-2006, 05:46 PM
Well I hate to suggest the obvious - but maybe just paint what you can see? reading the photo I can tell that there are curls there, with very little actual specific information the brain fills in all the bits - I think you can use that fact to your advantage here? just a thought

pencilnpen
12-11-2006, 08:24 PM
you've got a point- i was doodling around and thinking what if i put in the darks, then emphasise the highlights? The client hasn't said whether she prefers graphite or painting, so i was going to do a pencil first and see how that one comes together- although i got to thinking pastels might be the best approach- i hate being wishy washy on this one..:) I have been taking a pet portrait class and the instructor has suggested graphite is preferable with a white dog-

alicat
12-11-2006, 10:58 PM
It is hard to do things like that with a bad ref. photo - I would probably do it in pastel and like you said, start with the darks/shadows and paint midtones and highlights over the top, then go back in and enhance some of the darks - the b&w photo that Jody did seems to show the shadows a bit better, maybe you could enhance some of the darker tones more than the photo, but it's hard to get it right when it's different to the reference. I did a teddy-bear with curly, poodle-like fur in pastel this way (although I did it from life so I didn't have the difficulties of a bad ref) and it worked quite well. Good luck!

troutbum
12-11-2006, 11:01 PM
Maybe you can take the black & white version on the photo and make it a little darker. Perhaps the curls and shadow patterns might show up better. Sort of like hi-tech squinting! Hope you post your progress and final product.
troutbum

pencilnpen
12-19-2006, 10:58 PM
Here is the final result- as always, i am not totally happy with it- BUT- the client is thrilled and wants to commission me for her chihuahua- i prefer working in color- but I think it came out ok-

rasberry
12-20-2006, 01:13 AM
this has turned out great!! esp for the poor ref pic you had... and congrats on the extra commission!! you should be very happy with it the customer knows best!!!
Naomi

pencilnpen
12-20-2006, 01:19 AM
For me it is hard to be satisfied with a commission cuz i keep thinking it needs to be fixed here and there- sigh- i am such a perfectionist!

valchina612
12-20-2006, 08:51 AM
Oh, I think this turned out great. :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

Val. :wave: