PDA

View Full Version : Bull Elk X-post animal and wildlife

Garbonzo
12-10-2006, 07:59 PM
I just finished this today. I still need to learn to get my backgrounds worked in without interfering with the main subject but I'm still having some difficulty varying my scratching pressure to get the different degrees of light and dark. Especially in relation to the backgrounds. But anyway here is the black and white along with the color version. C & Cs welcomed.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Dec-2006/92796-Clayboard_Elk_2.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Dec-2006/92796-Clayboard_Elk_Color.jpg

Celticelf
12-10-2006, 08:07 PM
Gosh that's lovely. I honestly don't see how it could be better. I don't know whether I like the b/w or color best. Terri

Bertoni
12-10-2006, 09:54 PM
Harold:
Looking real fine!:thumbsup:
I wish I could get my color working that well!!!

Trilby
12-10-2006, 10:50 PM
This is looking so good. Have yu tried putting in your back ground first?
TJ

JDuckett
12-10-2006, 10:57 PM
Looking Good! Your color looks great also. Remember it's not just the pressure you use, but the tool you're using that will give you more white as well as your technique.
For example, a straight pin won't show as much white as an xacto blade and cross hatching can give you more white than hatching.
It just depends on the look you're after. It's much like using pen & ink. If your want a darker area, you use a bigger size or change your technique.
I hope this makes sense.

Garbonzo
12-11-2006, 06:37 AM
thankyou Terri, I really appreaciate it. I really like working on the clay.

Thanks Bertoni, I use the color to help hide my scratching mistakes. Ha.Ha!

TJ thankyou, I haven't done the background first because truthfully I kinda made the picture up as I went along. But I will try that on the next picture. It probably would make a big difference. I get too anxious to work on the main subject, like a kid at Christmas. To get better I need to plan things out better and work in a process, it's just hard for me to do.

JDuckett- Thankyou very much for the compliment and the great information. I really am new at this medium. I've only done 2 pictures on clayboard and probably 4 on the cheap scratchpaper. I really appreciate you taking the time to explain the technique for me and yes it make a lot of sense.

Diana Lee
12-12-2006, 05:38 PM
You are such a natural for scratchboard. You have so much fun ahead of you, just ask any one here about the joy of discovery with this medium.

Diana

Obedec
12-12-2006, 07:00 PM
Wow!
Karen

Garbonzo
12-12-2006, 10:06 PM
Thankyou Diana, that's very nice of you. I have become rather obsessed with the clayboard since trying it. I think I've been a little lucky with it to be truthful and am expecting to fall on my face anytime now. I guess that's all part of it.

Thanks Karen. That's just gonna make me go buy another piece of board. I really do appreciate it.

Meisie
12-20-2006, 05:23 PM
Wonderful Harold! The trees look so intimidating! I love how the antlers are focused :clap:

Garbonzo
12-20-2006, 07:37 PM
Thanks Meisie, I was stretching my abilities a bit with this one.