PDA

View Full Version : Help Buying a Kiln

potter patty
12-10-2006, 07:32 PM
Hi! I am an intermediate hobby pottery living with an intermediate lamp work & glass fuse hobbyist. We want to buy a kiln. We have looked at the Paragon Janus 27 (fires for clay & glass). Also considering an L&L Easy Fire. Would like a 10 or 8 cubic foot range. Any thoughts on a good brand, model??? Thanks for any help you can offer!!!

beautifulfreak
12-11-2006, 02:53 AM
I own a very old paragon I suspect being older than me, got it third or forth hand. It held up well until the hurricane season of 2004, the bricks are still sound even tho the double garage it was in blew apart, it needs a little electrical work as the control box was messed up by flying debris(I suspect getting hit by the garage door as it blew to the back of the building driven by cat. 4 winds). So I think paragon makes a good sturdy kiln. The owner of the company sometimes posts on the clayart listserve(can be found at www.potters.org), he seems a helpful sort.

I like the looks of the L&L kilns, I've only seen them in ads tho. If I was shopping for a new kiln, I'd give them a look. Skutt makes a good kiln too. The school I teach in has a fairly new skutt with computer controls used for glass slumping, it seems to get the job done.

good luck and happy kiln shopping.

!Karen
12-11-2006, 10:16 AM
Welcome Patty. Jump on over to the glass technical forum (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93) and post this question. There is a multitude of 'kiln talk' over there!! :wave:

Karen

beautifulfreak
12-11-2006, 11:03 AM
Sigh...we'd have a multitude of talk over here too if people didn't keep directing people elsewhere.