PDA

View Full Version : A Contemporary Turn....

Elaine B
12-10-2006, 10:09 AM
I normally post in the Acrylics, and paint usually paint realism: i.e., florals, landscapes, portraits, etc. I have been having fun lately with some "abstracts". I posted these in the acrylic forum, but shouldn't have, because they're mixed media. The first 4 of these are 4x4 mini gallery canvas squares; the last is an 8X10 stretch canvas. I'd appreciate your critique, please, and your opinion as to whether I should pursue this further. Thanks!

RTT
12-10-2006, 10:44 AM
Absolutely continue to pursue this abstract direction. These are good. You've obviously got good senses for color and composition. If you had fun with these then have some more fun. I'd love to see how your style may work on a larger scale.
You mention that these are mixed media - what besides the acrylics did you used?

minman
12-10-2006, 11:05 AM
I agree. Keep working in this direction. Very good compositions.

Smileawhyl
12-10-2006, 11:46 AM
This is a great exploration. I might suggest you look at the work (a literal ton of explorative beauty) of hcowdrick (howard) in here. Your work reminds me of a point where where your work could have intersected with his.

Welcome to ab/con and please don't be a stranger.

Elaine B
12-10-2006, 06:02 PM
Absolutely continue to pursue this abstract direction. These are good. You've obviously got good senses for color and composition. If you had fun with these then have some more fun. I'd love to see how your style may work on a larger scale.
You mention that these are mixed media - what besides the acrylics did you used?

I just used some tars and gels to give them a textured look, plus "paint jewels" a squeeze on paint that comes in different colors. Also used gold flecks. Thanks for your input - I'll definetly try more!

gingery
12-10-2006, 11:12 PM
Very nice pieces!:clap: You have a great sense of colour & composition & since these were fun for you, go for it.:thumbsup: It's obvious you enjoyed doing these, because they're great!:cool: I'm looking foward to seeing more of your work. Very nice textures as well.
ginger

Wilsonart
12-10-2006, 11:28 PM
Ditto what everone said,,,,,,,,,,,really fun to view work!:thumbsup:

Elaine B
12-11-2006, 06:13 AM
This is a great exploration. I might suggest you look at the work (a literal ton of explorative beauty) of hcowdrick (howard) in here. Your work reminds me of a point where where your work could have intersected with his.

Welcome to ab/con and please don't be a stranger.

I just visited his website - wow! I found out that abstracts are not as easy to do as they sometimes look. The composition is still important, as are the color choices - gets tricky and is a challenge. I'm enjoying it!

Jennifer Bernard
12-11-2006, 09:54 AM
these are supurb! Definitely keep creating this direction, and welcome to the form :)

omniartz
12-11-2006, 01:23 PM
These are all very good! You are a natural at abstraction! Well done! :)

artisartisart
12-11-2006, 02:10 PM
I agree with everybody, and I want to add that your colors are great! Try a larger size, you can do first a small study and then transfer it to a large canvas. I`ll be looking for more of your work! Angie

wiscojaydub
12-11-2006, 02:34 PM
Yep! Composition is important! Balance of colors, hues, shapes,ideas,emotions, depth, and a desire to express oneself!

veedubya
12-11-2006, 07:47 PM
I agree, these are lovely, but they look like beginnings to me. It seems like there could be some depth of color and value variations developed. Perhaps more subtle textures and pattern and detail to draw the eye in for a closer look- all of which you obviously know how to do well in your realistic stuff as I learned from a visit to your site. Just MHO- the compositions are terrific.

Elaine B
12-15-2006, 09:43 PM
I agree, these are lovely, but they look like beginnings to me. It seems like there could be some depth of color and value variations developed. Perhaps more subtle textures and pattern and detail to draw the eye in for a closer look- all of which you obviously know how to do well in your realistic stuff as I learned from a visit to your site. Just MHO- the compositions are terrific.

Thanks for the comments - they are very helpful. Appreciate it!

Elaine B
12-15-2006, 09:47 PM
Thank you all for your comments....will try some larger ones after the first of the year.