PDA

View Full Version : A couple of my first digital paintings....

dreamingtree
12-10-2006, 03:13 AM
Hey I thought I would just put these up so people could see it. I am an Illustration major, and I am just getting into digital art. I have been painting and drawing for quite some time now, but these are some of my first explorations with digital media. The first is a digital painting of a young boy. No one that I know, but just found a cool photo to work from. Had a lot of fun with it. I used Photoshop and my new wacom tablet.

The next one is part digital painting, I painted the girl's face and arm, and the rest is just messing around with textures in Photoshop. I still like how it came out and the feel of it though.

The third is a painting I did a very buff guy from a page out of my sketchbook. Fun pose, although I really think I need to go in and create some hard edges in just a few key places to make it work better. Right now I think the feel of it is just too soft. This was also done in Photoshop.

All I have to say is that I am definitely hooked on digital painting now. It is fun to be here and see what everyone is doing and take inspiration from it. Anyways, Let me know what you guys think.
Dave

Ceu
12-10-2006, 04:45 AM
Dave I have an ilustration major, but I have been doing digital images for a long time, and it's fun the hard part is to put what you do in the computer into a canvas or other hard surface. But either way have fun doing this, your work so far is great, and keep the ideas coming .

omniartz
12-11-2006, 02:28 PM
Dave, these are very good. Welcome to digital! :)

justjean
12-11-2006, 05:20 PM
Hi Dave and welcome to WC , nice paintings :)

dreamingtree
12-13-2006, 11:46 PM
Thanks for the comments. Glad to be here.

JTGMTZ
12-14-2006, 12:52 PM
I especially like the boy. The softness of the edges are terrific. I love the way you handled his lips.

madster
12-15-2006, 07:56 AM
Welcome, Dave!

Be careful, though that you don't go too crazy with soft edges. The worst mistake too many people make with digital is their edges. They are usually either all too soft, or too hard.

A good rule of thumb is to outline shapes with about a 65%-85% hard brush. This keeps the edges soft, yet firm enough to keep your work looking focused, rather than soft, fuzzy, and somewhat blurry. The little boy sufferers from this, except for his eyes and mouth. It looks inconsistent to the eye...

Also be VERY sparing on "eye candy" effects like the starbursts in the woman's eyes. Certain brushes, like starbursts, and certain filters, like page curl and lensflare, have been so abused over the years, that in the digital world, those "in the know" avoid them like the plague, because it is very hard to use them effectively, and anything less screams "digital noob!"

You have excellent rendering skills, and a good eye for anatomy. It will be a delight to see what you do with the digital medium...

~M

green tea
12-31-2006, 06:57 PM
Just saw these. Really good. Digital painting is really fun, I started about a year ago after a long lay-off from any kind of drawing. It got me interested again in every area that I used to love. Just don't go nuts with filters in PS, it's takes away from the art and the experts,will call you on it. I like your first painting the best.

jhercilia
01-03-2007, 10:22 PM
I like the third painting the most because of the various tones and great anatomy; not because he looks good but because you rendered the anatomy well. :p The first one is good but too blended in some important areas, so those areas look blurred instead of blended.