PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic Experiments

John Jaster
12-09-2006, 09:33 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-09-2006/96417_365Weave.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-09-2006/96417_362BackgroundInterference.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-09-2006/96417_357Goldflish.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Acrylic Experiments
Year Created: 2006
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Other
Dimension: 14x17
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I'm not "new", I posted almost weekly for the last year under "Lobster Alla Prima" but I decided I'd start the year with a moniker less cumbersome. I'll keep the old lobster avatar for familiarity.

As Lobster I posted a wide variety of acrylic experiments. Here are some of the latest, although next year I'm resolved to do more people, animals, and buildings, so you'll probably be seeing less tinkering and more tayloring.

1) "Weave", acrylic on clear polyester. It's four sheets cut, woven, and layered, then held together with clear media.
2) "Background Interference", acrylic on clear polyester. There's black gesso on one side, lines drawn in it cut through to the clear background so then I painted the back fluorescent red to make the lines show, and then used interference colors to highlight some patters.
3) "Goldflish", acrylic ink on paper. It was actually a crackle experiment, checking if the ink would fracture like the paint does. Well, it does, but the fractures are too small to be very worth while. The pattern didn't start out to be anything in particular.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any redeeming qualities to these experiments? The middle one, with gesso cut through to reveal clear lines, could be used in a variety of ways. Maybe a marbled color could be on the other side and then revealed by the scratch away of the gesso.

P.S., sorry I haven't given feedback on others for awhile. I got real busy during the holiday season.

La_
12-10-2006, 05:31 PM
Hey Johnlobster ; )

You are a creative experimental sort !

I most prefer the last of these three ... color, shape, interest is all good for me. (i might add a touch of green here and there)

the second one i like the straight lines/shapes, but would prefer less pastel colors for the circles, etc., maybe jewel tones instead

the first one is just weird for me, too much like tape gone wild, too primary

alas tis my opinion : )

la

John Jaster
12-11-2006, 06:42 AM
La, I loved your "tape gone wild" description of the first one:) I don't think weaving is my thing either. I might do another one where instead of primary colors an actual image is woven into it. But that's about it for weaving for me:)

shahid hussain
12-13-2006, 11:43 AM
i like your third one , it has very interesting shapes like fishes and waves...and these are strongly designed nice job.

John Jaster
12-13-2006, 07:57 PM
Thank you shahid hussain. I love the international brotherhood of wetcanvas. I greatly appreciate your feedback.

kathrynlovespets
12-13-2006, 08:54 PM
2nd one...gorgeous...could be a quilt