PDA

View Full Version : Treasure of Sanibel

dragoni689
04-06-2002, 01:19 AM
Well all, this is a piece that took "Honorable Mention" in a recent student arts show here in Lake Wales, Fl. It's mainly acrylics (which is why Im posting it here) but also some watercolors, with a main paper of scratchboard; to understand this piece you need to hear a bit about it.
I took a picture of the shell, shown in the detail photo below, and doctored it up in photoshop; I then photocopied that and laid it over a scratchboard, transfering that sketch to it and scratching it out.. I watercoloerd that sketch, tinting it with sepia... then painted over it with transparent, glossy acrylics, to produce the effect of the seashell (which was obtained from my hometown, Sanibel Island, FL)... then I went over the external parts with more sepia watercolor, matte-finished thos parts, burned the edges, and glued the shell to the paper. Sound complicated? this is where it gets interesting.
I took a piece of foam core and ran sand paper across it to produce a very rough looking backgroiund on which to "float" the scratchboard; then I went over that, too, with sepia. I then Used golden's "Garnet Gel" to create the look of a sandy beach, glossing the bottom portion with liquitex Glossy glaze/varnish; I also mixed some Prussian blue watercolors in that at points, to sort of tint it and make it look more like "water"; then I cut out one more piece of foam core, glued it in the center, and floated the original piece. I know the acrylics forum isn't for mixed media per say, but hey; it's mainly acrylic, so I figure you guys will let me get away with it? Well, Comments and critiques not only welcome, but requested! please tell me your thoughts, I've started a series of these (already had some mediocre offers on this one!) and am looking to improve. Let me know.

dragoni689
04-06-2002, 01:20 AM
This is the Shell that I used as a subject matter:

dragoni689
04-06-2002, 01:23 AM
This is the upper right of the shell, showing the scratchboard pattern underneath the transparent acrylics... Enjoy, and remember to comment. :)

CathyD
04-07-2002, 06:16 AM
This is really awesome!!! I love it, and your explanation was wonderful. I am so glad you told us what you have done here, it was really interesting.

It looks like a shell. What a great job!
Cathy

PhilC
04-10-2002, 03:43 PM
Nice work. Like how you explaned how you doneit.

Keep up the good work.