PDA

View Full Version : Gorilla in Oil pastels

Danitangel
04-05-2002, 10:44 PM
I am doing this for the Animal and Wildlife's April project. Should I put more color in the background? or just leave it alone? Any and All comments welcome!

edith
04-06-2002, 06:03 PM
I like this but, i am bias as i love gorillas and dolphins.
I would leave the background as is because you want him to be the focal point and he is.
I have oil pastels but never used them so can i seek your instructions on there use i wonder?
Nice job, very effective, like it.
Take care and see you soon.

Danitangel
04-06-2002, 10:12 PM
Edith,
I'm not very good at giving instructions, but will try. I always start with the eyes, and then add around them. I use the colors heavy and blend with fingers and a #2 blending stick. Sometimes it seems I rub off as much as I put on. I just can't seem to stay away from useing black. I end up with several layers to get the end result, adding the white for highlights. As in this gorilla I tried to use dark blue, It works but still used alot black. .. here a quick example........ Now I have this eye on my paper, will have to find somthing to make it into...lol

Luvy
04-06-2002, 10:14 PM
Love the background and the gorilla Maybe a shade darker on the background might make him stand out I just darkened the background a little Hope you don't mind. Didn't mess with the gorilla. Just a little darker But then that's only my opinion *S* Great job though. Love it *S*

Danitangel
04-06-2002, 10:31 PM
Thanks Luvy, the darker background does seem to make him stand out a bit more.

MKathleen
04-07-2002, 02:09 PM
Hi Danitangel:
Love your Gorilla! Good use of shades of purple instead of gray's very nice. I agree with the background being a little darker. I do agree also that the Gorilla is your 'star' and focal point.
Best,
Kathy:)