PDA

View Full Version : Bars of Bone

Bevahlee
12-06-2006, 01:35 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Dec-2006/54805-bars_of_bone.jpg

small piece while waiting for paint to dry on a large piece.

wiscojaydub
12-06-2006, 02:00 PM
Great composition and textures..interesting abstract imagery!

Wilsonart
12-06-2006, 04:57 PM
VERY interesting!
WOW I can read some really heavy stuff into this composition.

The body (bars of bone, and the chains) locking out the spirit.
Love the textures,and color choices, great work!:thumbsup:

Bevahlee
12-06-2006, 05:02 PM
Oh yes, Babs. That's how I interpret it too. I usually do the piece then it says what it is to me. lol.

Smileawhyl
12-06-2006, 06:40 PM
Exciting! Are those more skins comprising the cape?

Bevahlee
12-06-2006, 09:22 PM
the wings are skins and so is the top. I tried using strips of skins for the bars but that didn't look right so that's paint.

ryan-eric
12-06-2006, 10:31 PM
i really want to learn this skin thing i love it i love the texture are those real chains ??

spiral_world
12-07-2006, 02:58 AM
wow...what a great tekstures...I love them

Dragica

JShap
12-07-2006, 07:42 AM
Excellent work! I'd love to know what materials you used. Did you use masonite for this?

Bevahlee
12-07-2006, 08:10 AM
No masonite, no. I took some sculpey clay and rolled it out. Then I pressed a belt I have (the one on the right is from a metal belt ..the funky kind of chain belt). I pressed the belt into the sculpey clay..repeated it vertically several time. Baked the clay. Coated it with PAM...wiped all the excess off (although there is a spray release that's better but makes your floor very slippery) then I mixed bronze acrylic paint (the cheap kind you get at the craft store)with gel medium and spread it into the dried sculpey clay. I usually come back with another coat after the first coat is dry to give it a "backing" (in other words make the layer thick enough to peel)..when that is thoroughly dry (give it a couple of days to be sure) peel it off. I then cut the skins to form winglike shapes and glued them to gatorboard ..you can use canvas board, masonite, whatever you paint on. Then I painted the angel over them. I also made some red skins on plastic texture sheets. (for the bars) but I only used a skin on the bottom horizontal bar because they were too thin to cover the thickness of the wings. SO, I taped off the areas for the vertical bones and used gel medium with red. I used a plastic gift card (the kind you can get at Wal-Mart) (obviously with no money on it. lol)
to spread the red gel mixture over the taped off areas.
The area above the angel is a skin I made on one of my old linoplates. It was just plain dirty pink and after I glued it to my board I scumbled the red over it.

Lynxes123
12-07-2006, 05:00 PM
Bev this is so awesome and thanks for sharing your techniques! Beautiful depth, composition, use of color and textures! :clap:

gingery
12-08-2006, 01:29 AM
Great techniques & thanks for sharing them.:cool: I love the textures that you have in this!:thumbsup: Just wonderful.:clap: ginger