PDA

View Full Version : Female Cardinal in color

Garbonzo
12-06-2006, 11:48 AM
I couldn't wait to colorize the cardinal just to see what she would look like. I used gouache and sealed it with an acrylic sealer. I don't know anything about the clayboard inks. Are they a better way to colorize or does it matter?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Dec-2006/92796-Female_Cardinal_Scratchboard_color.jpg

Diana Lee
12-06-2006, 01:14 PM
Apples and Oranges. I don't think one medium is really better than another. It depends on the look you are going for and what you are comfortable working with. The color range you can get from gouache is greater than what you can get from scratchboard inks. For a finish, though, I do prefer the scratchboard spray. I swear the stuff is like iron so you needn't put your piece behind glass.

This is a beautiful piece. Your execution is remarkable and you have a good eye for texture.

Diana

Bertoni
12-06-2006, 01:16 PM
Harold:
This is superb!!! :clap: You're doing wonderfully with the gouache for color! :thumbsup: Is it on Claybord?
I have a lot of gouache and will have to try it on Claybord!!

Garbonzo
12-06-2006, 02:09 PM
Diana, thankyou, I appreciate the information about coloring and protecting my picture. Thankyou as well for the compliment. I was pretty nervous when I started scratching this. Wasn't sure if I could do the bird justice.

Bertoni, thankyou so much. I wasn't sure if the gouache would cover up the scratches entirely or what since it is or can be an opque medium. I have quite a bit of gouache lying around from carving birds so I thought I would try it. I figured I didn't have anything to lose since I'm trying to learn what works and what doesn't. If you try gouache be sure to watch the edges of the paint and keep it wet or it will leave a hard line. Blend it to water.
*Yes it is "Clayboard Black" by brand name. Give the gouache a try, what the heck.

Trilby
12-06-2006, 07:10 PM
She's beautiful in either b/w or color. On my monitor,however, the bird is green rather than grey and red. what is she in real life?
TJ

Garbonzo
12-06-2006, 07:38 PM
Thankyou TJ, I really appreciate it. The female cardinal is a bit of Olive green shade on the back. It's a pale green and becomes more of a raw sienna yellow on the face and breast getting lighter on the abdomen. Some have a little orangish blush on the breast. It's really a beautiful bird.

Obedec
12-07-2006, 06:51 PM
This is great! First bird I've ever seen that actually looks "sexy"! and definitely female. Beautiful piece.
Karen

Garbonzo
12-07-2006, 09:57 PM
Karen, you are way too kind. Makes me anxious to get started on something new.

brushandknife
12-13-2006, 09:40 AM
Even more gorgeous. Wow, you're great at this. Diana, do you think I could spray over the acrylic spray with the clayboard spray? I am not sure I am happy with it...
Carol

Garbonzo
12-13-2006, 08:41 PM
Thankyou Carol, I really appreciate the nice compliment and the encouragement. It's a very challenging medium.

Mary Woodul
12-14-2006, 08:11 PM
The colors in this with the background are breathtaking. I can just see it framed, gorgeous work!

Garbonzo
12-14-2006, 09:14 PM
Wow, Thanks so much Mary. I don't really know what to say. This bird just seemed to work out well. The female Cardinal is one of my favorite birds.

Meisie
12-20-2006, 05:24 PM
I think I like her better coloured :)....but whichever way, your work is beautiful!

Garbonzo
12-20-2006, 07:35 PM
Thankyou so very much Meisie. You don't know how much I appreciate that.