PDA

View Full Version : What can Photoshop do that Painter can't?

chicho
12-06-2006, 12:48 PM
I have always used Painter and would like to know what can be done in Photoshop that can't be done in Painter?

Is it worth having both? Does anyone have both, and if so, why?

Thanks

Smokin
12-06-2006, 03:12 PM
Its worth having both depending on what you want to accomplish. Anyway, Ive always say that Photoshop is the end all for photo manipulation and that painter is the best app for painting, drawing or concept designing digitally from a blank screen.

Photoshop can do quite a bit that Painter cant like Support a ton of plugins for one. Plugins are valuble to diff people for diff reasons though. Photoshop has a more sophisticated filtering and layering and blending options.

Its tough comparing the two, both are just totally diff beasts IMO. I use painter for 95% of what i do and photoshop for ANY photomanip[ing of filter stuff. If you only care about digitally painting then stick with Painter. If you want to venture out and do more in the way of filtering tricks, the photoshop is definetly worth it. Ill even say that photoshop is a great finishing tool for digital painting projecs.

Skinny
12-06-2006, 07:35 PM
Hi, Chicho! I have both, but I almost never use Photoshop. Like Smokin, I pull it out most often when I want to play with the filters.

LiftNw8
12-07-2006, 07:59 AM
I have both and they are two completely different animals for sure, with each having something that is specific just to it as far as its purpose.

madster
12-07-2006, 08:08 AM
Photoshop lets you work on layers much easier than Painter does, and Photoshop lets you convert your Canvas, or background layer, to a free standing layer, so that you can then insert a layer under it. Painter doesn't do that.

Photoshop also lets you resize your canvas larger or smaller. Painter doesn't.

Photoshop can correct a lot of issues with photos, hence the name.
I have both, and find that Photoshop is more precise from a technical standpoint, while Painter is more expressive from a creative one, because of the extra "bells and whistles," like mosaics, kaleidoscope, weaves, and the airbrushes. For a solid line, though, Photoshop has it beat, hands down.

~M

justjean
12-07-2006, 08:52 AM
I have PS, Painter and PSP, never used PS. Love Painter and PSP7 .It sounds like you can do basically the same with PSP layers as you can with PS :)

Einion
12-07-2006, 09:47 AM
Is it worth having both?
Absolutely! Photoshop would be your go-to program for image correction (from subtle colour shifts to spotting to major tonal/colour revisions to montages to vignetting, all of which it does superbly) while Painter is primarily for mimicking natural media, which it excels at and which Photoshop can't really do (certainly nothing like to the same level or variety).

Einion