PDA

View Full Version : December Pastel Strokes

*Violet*
12-04-2006, 11:01 PM
Pastel Strokes

Welcome to the December edition of PASTEL STROKES! Those who participated in previous months already know the guidelines. For all newbies, they are as follows:

• An individual volunteering to host the monthly project proposes to a guide or a moderator a new photo reference near the beginning of the month.
• The guide or moderator approves the host and reference photo and the selected host posts the project in Pastel Talk and also threads in the Soft Pastel and Oil Pastel forums with links to the Pastel Talk project link.
• Interested participants, create a painting from the photo and upload it to this thread for discussion.
• The image may be cropped, rearranged, and interpreted in any manner! Use different effects in your software program and try painting something different, tweak the color, add or subtract things! This is a friendly chance to share the creative venture. Feel free to have some fun!
• You can paint as many versions as you like and they can be any size.
• Both oilies and softies are invited to play.

the picture for December is:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Dec-2006/46454-maybe_ref.jpg
Happy painting !!

Deborah Secor
12-04-2006, 11:32 PM
Hey Violet--thanks a bunch (flowers...bunch..get it?) for taking on the December Pastel Strokes! I figure we can all use some lovely flowers to paint, and we can make them any colors, too! I love that glowing green leaf among the soft hues. Flowers always look a little like faces to me. Does anyone else see them that way? (That one on the far right hand side looks like it's got a big grin on its face!)

Deborah

*Violet*
12-04-2006, 11:45 PM
you're very welcome, deborah ... love your sense of humour :) ... now we'll have to see how people *avoid* making them look like faces now that you've *planted* that imagery !! ... :lol: ...

Deborah Secor
12-04-2006, 11:55 PM
Or maybe just go ahead and make them faces... :lol: I suspect our artists can get around this little suggestion! I'll just *leaf* this one alone now...

Deborah

Deborah Secor
12-05-2006, 12:15 AM
I had to play around with the photo! Just some visual thinking...I always enjoy seeing what I might want to try. Feel free to borrow my ideas. Or not. :rolleyes:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Dec-2006/23609-violet_ref_Dec_PS1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Dec-2006/23609-violet_ref_Dec_PS2.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Dec-2006/23609-violet_ref_Dec_PS3.jpg

Deborah

AnnieA
12-05-2006, 12:36 AM
Hi Violet! It's a great image and should be fun to paint. I think the resulting painting could probably make a nice Christmas present. Deborah's crops and edits are interesting too. I've sometimes seen faces in flowers (I even more clearly have always seen ballet dancers in fushcias), and the flowers you have here certainly all do seem to have distinct personalities. :)

marionh
12-05-2006, 03:36 AM
Superb photo - very tempted to join in - The colours in the original photo just talk to me! Deborahs crops and edits are also interesting particularly the middle one. Perhaps I need to do two!
Marion

sundiver
12-05-2006, 05:40 AM
Beautiful image, Violet!
I think I'll be trying a crop. When I get time, that is. Life's frantic at the moment.
Any chance there could be a larger file of this in the IRL?:)

hopalong
12-05-2006, 08:09 AM
Violet Thanks so much for hosting. I'm going to make room this month!!! This is my way of COMMITING!
Dee, Thanks fo ryour photo shop play! I love of artists mess with reality. So much fun.

Pat Isaac
12-05-2006, 10:34 AM
Thanks for taking this on Violet. I hope to do this one, but as Wendy says, it is frantic at the moment.

Pat

LJW
12-05-2006, 12:22 PM
Violet, thanks for hosting and choosing such a cheerful, bright floral for this month's challenge. With all the rain we've been having, I'm in need of something colourful to paint! I've decided to follow your and Deborah's idea of photo manipulation of the colours and have created a wild posterized version. It will be fun to do something a bit more abstract for a change. (I hope I have the colours I need or maybe I'll have to make some more OPs from scratch - we'll see) Jane

pequan
12-05-2006, 01:45 PM
Violet: thanks so very much for doing this month's project..hope I can do this one!
Deborah: I've been leafing through your changes, and really appreciate the ideas...
thought I posted this already, guess my typing was just in vein.....HAHA
enjoy everyone
_________
Linda

*Violet*
12-05-2006, 06:05 PM
welcome to the project everyone !! ... as for it being a hectic time of year, trust me ... i hear ya ... thx for the liking the image ... i hope it inspires everyone to squeeze it into the season's schedules ... :) ... and thank you for welcoming me as your host this month ... glad to be able to put something onto the table so we have a project this month ... and many thx for liking the reference ... thx too to the moderator(s) for accepting it !! :clap:

deborah ... what great things you manage to do with your photo editing software !! ... thanks for taking that time to do it and offering that anyone may use them if they wish to ...

anniea ... i too see ballerina's in fuchias !!

marionh ... one ... two ... whatever you can do ... the pastel colours *are* appealing, aren't they? ...

sundiver ... i don't know how to get a larger image available to anyone but i'd be happy to direct email on to you or anyone if you provide me with a request and an email addy in a PM

hopalong ... i/we look forward to seeing your submission!

vangohpat ... hope you find the time too ... you always do such nice work ...

ljw ... can't wait to see what you're contemplating !!

pequan ... great to see you joining in too ...

again, .... happy pastelling all !!

Pat Isaac
12-05-2006, 06:25 PM
Thanks again, Violet and I will probably try a crop also...
Pat

michellej
12-05-2006, 07:09 PM
Hi Violet,
Let me add my thanks for hosting this month and great picture.
I really like the soft purples on these flowers and though I am swamped i am going to try one. I already see an angle i like so I'm off to prime my board.

sundiver
12-05-2006, 07:16 PM
sundiver ... i don't know how to get a larger image available to anyone but i'd be happy to direct email on to you or anyone if you provide me with a request and an email addy in a PM

I was sleepy! When I typed IRL I meant RIL, the Reference Image Library here at WC. If you put the picture in there you can put in a large file and it will accept it. Then you just put a link to it here.:)

*Violet*
12-06-2006, 04:04 PM
welcome to the project michellej !! ...

I was sleepy! When I typed IRL I meant RIL, the Reference Image Library here at WC. If you put the picture in there you can put in a large file and it will accept it. Then you just put a link to it here.:)

not to worry, wendy ... i knew what you meant and have submitted the photo for acceptance there and will provide the link once i'm notified of it's acceptance ... i'm assuming i'll be notified !! ... :lol: ...

sundiver
12-07-2006, 02:21 PM
not to worry, wendy ... i knew what you meant and have submitted the photo for acceptance there and will provide the link once i'm notified of it's acceptance ... i'm assuming i'll be notified !! ... :lol: ...

Here it is:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=68844&cat=500&ppuser=46454

got mine started last night!

Deborah Secor
12-07-2006, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the link, Wendy! I always like to have the larger file, so when I crop things don't get too grainy.

I haven't started mine yet--I have work that's interfering! :( (I should just be glad to have the work!)

Deborah

*Violet*
12-07-2006, 04:27 PM
:mad: ... guess they don't notify ya when it's accepted ... thx for posting the link wendy !!! ... i started a small one ... :) ... am trying to work on the portrait project too tho ...

Deborah Secor
12-07-2006, 04:39 PM
Nope, guess they don't. I posted a photo and got no notice...but I was too ignorant to know I had to wait for any approval, either.

Busy girl, violet! Can't wait to see what you do with this one. :D

Deborah

*Violet*
12-09-2006, 02:26 AM
what i've learned is that one shouldn't paint if one is not in the best of moods ... i will post my painting despite how terrible it is ... it is small ... i began it without doing a good drawing ... and i just didn't seem to have my heart in it ... perhaps i'll do another ... but for whatever it's worth ... here it is ... at least it'll make each of you feel your own work is fabulous without a doubt !! ... :lol: ... i really shouldn't post this ... but i will ... i should have my head examined ...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2006/46454-flowers_1.JPG

Pat Isaac
12-09-2006, 09:39 AM
You certainly were ambitious, Violet doing all the flowers. There are some nice things about the painting, especially the forground daisies. The large dark background shape between the 2 flowers on the right bothers me. It is a little too prominent and maybe the flowers should overlap some.

Pat

Deborah Secor
12-09-2006, 11:34 AM
Good grief, Violet--so hard on yourself! It's not that bad... :lol: I love your alstromeria!

Deborah

pequan
12-09-2006, 01:06 PM
hey Violet: I like it.....I really like the dark background, and the space between the two flowers in the back, that Pat commented on..maybe if you just blended the flowers a tad it might not look quite as "drawn" more painted?? funny how we all see different things isn't it? I shouldn't say a word I haven't started mine yet, think I am afraid to.....
______
Linda

*Violet*
12-09-2006, 04:28 PM
you folk are too kind ... :) ... many thx ... the alstoemarias ar the only parts that i'm fairly pleased with too, deborah ... maybe i'll try to put the hint of a distant flower in that dark spot ... we'll see ... maybe i'll even give it a try doing a new one ... who knows ...

sundiver
12-11-2006, 06:09 AM
Nice, Violet! I like the blue and the asto...asto.... those flowers in the back!

Mine's at the "I'm sick of it" stage. I'll post it tonight unless I can think of something else to do on it.

LJW
12-11-2006, 11:51 AM
Violet, I'm glad you painted the floral arrangement in the correct colours. Nobody will recognize my version. I thought the alsto... flowers were lilies??

Here's my mad version. I cropped, changed the colours, and posterized the image in Painter. I painted from this version, without reference to the original. As a result, I was placing areas of colour without being sure what they were. I had absolutely no idea what was in the background. Since I prefer a blended look, I didn't retain the hard edges that posterizing creates between colour areas. This was a lot of fun; thanks Violet for providing the challenge.
Holbein and Sennelier Oil Pastels, 8" x 6" on Terracotta Colourfix paper. Jane

Pat Isaac
12-11-2006, 03:50 PM
This is great, Jane. I just love posturizing things in photoshop..and I also like that terra cotta color paper.

Pat

sundiver
12-11-2006, 06:17 PM
Oooo, I like this, Jane! It reads as a mass of flowers, which it is- no need for details in the back.

Well, here's my version, finished, maybe. Overworked, probably. I cropped out the astalavista flowers!:D It's oil pastel on some maroon Canson 8x10.

Pat Isaac
12-11-2006, 06:27 PM
Very nice, Wendy. I like the crop and I was planning on cutting out the astalavista too. Boy, you guys are good. I'll probably finish Dec. in Jan. :eek:

Pat

Deborah Secor
12-11-2006, 06:31 PM
The alstromeria??? :D Golly--is it such a strange name? I buy a bunch at the local grocery store every week for my mom... It lasts longer than any other cut flowers I know.

I love the looseness of your edited version, Jane! That deep rust is very effective with the blues! And I like your lacy lights, too.

Wendy, it's lovely! Why do you think it's overworked? Doesn't look it to me.. I like the colors you used in the centers.

I'm working on too many other projects to get to this one yet!

Deborah

Pat Isaac
12-11-2006, 06:37 PM
Yeah, it is a strange name. There may be flowers like that around here, but I have never heard the name before. They look like lilies to me. Are they from that family?

Pat

jshelby
12-11-2006, 08:02 PM
Violet, Jane and Windy, Wow, they are all beautiful. I've been looking at the picture, trying to talk myself into trying it. It looks shall I say "challenging." Now that I've mailed my packages, I'll have time.

LJW
12-11-2006, 10:09 PM
Thanks Pat, Wendy, Deborah, and jshelby. I'm glad you weren't too appalled at the colours I used. My husband kept asking me where they got such odd coloured flowers for the challenge :lol:

Wendy, I like the softness of your rendition, and the subtle colour changes you incorporated into the petals. Very nice. Jane

*Violet*
12-12-2006, 10:14 AM
i'm back from an out of town trip and checking in ... pleasant surprizes !!!

Jane .... fellow ontarian ... i *love* your painterly (not mad :lol:) posterized version !!! ... too cool !! ... it will look lovely framed ....

wendy ... i *love* your tight crop and treatment of blending and all ... it's not overworked in the least !! ... this too is gonna look fabulous in a frame ... well done !!

jshelby ... glad to hear you're caught up with things and may have time to work on yours ... can't wait to see it ...

pat and deborah ... we're looking forward to seeing your versions too but understand fully that this season makes finding the time to *play* difficult ...

btw .. i put in a hint of more baby's breath in that dark spot in my painting and it does look better ... now it has a large dark spot prominently on the left but i'm kinda liking that in juxtaposition with all the flowers elsewhere ... i put it into a little frame and it doesn't look half bad ... :lol: ... i'll try and post a pic one of these days ...

harvey concepts
12-12-2006, 12:48 PM
Hi,

I have been looking at the solft pastel studio site for a while - and decided to give the December Pastel Strokes a try. This is my third pastel I have done. I am almost 1/2 way through.

I liked the crop the Deborah suggested. I really enjoy seeing everyone's different interpretation of the same photo.

Best - Sarah

AnnieA
12-12-2006, 02:59 PM
Wow, Jane! This approach really worked! This is a lovely painting! I love the color changes and the depth to your piece. The texture seems quite nice too. :thumbsup: (btw, I'm not sure, but I think that Alstromeria are also called "Peruvian Lilies"!)

Wendy: yours is lovely too. The color is quite nice and I like the crop you did.

*Violet*
12-12-2006, 03:45 PM
welcome sarah !! ... what a fabulous beginning you have there ... great blending ... only your third pastel ?? ... you've a definite ability with the medium ... can't wait to see it done ...

LJW
12-12-2006, 08:10 PM
Thanks Annie. It was fun to experiment again, and to loosen up a bit after painting more precisely for awhile. I'm going to try this one in oils at a larger size to practice putting down brush strokes and leaving them alone.

Sarah, I like the colour you've chosen for your flowers. The painting is coming along nicely. Jane

Eric0001
12-13-2006, 12:41 AM
Hi,

All the drawings here are very pretty. This is my trial.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Dec-2006/94831-Flowers.JPG

As usual, I completed this one using Oil Pastel and on a common A4 paper at my office (by squeezing some time from my lunch hours and "working" hours:D ).

I treasure comments :wave: from any of you.

Best wishes,

Eric

*Violet*
12-13-2006, 01:25 AM
very nice eric !! ... cheerful !! ... and wecome to the pastel strokes projects

LJW
12-13-2006, 11:49 AM
Eric, nice to see another OP version. Yours is lively, with a sense of the flowers coming forward from the background, and I like the colour harmony you have achieved. Jane

Pat Isaac
12-13-2006, 12:13 PM
Welcome, Eric. Nice to see another OP painting. Very nice color and detail.

Pat

Deborah Secor
12-13-2006, 12:26 PM
Okay, our discussion of the alstromeria got me to thinking...so I searched to see its other common names and found the Wiki definition, with a list as long as my arm or names. If you want more info (sorry, it's the researcher in me!) you can go to Wikipedia Alstroemeria (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alstroemeria)

Deborah

sundiver
12-13-2006, 02:52 PM
Sarah, those petals seem to be literally popping up out of the paper! Very impressive beginning.
Eric, it amazes me what you can do on that A4 paper! I'd suggest you bring a pad of better paper to work, except, if it were me, than I wouldn't get any work done!

binkie
12-13-2006, 05:28 PM
Wow! Love all the flowers! I just get so excited when I see all the different interpretations of the same pic. Don't know if I'll have an opportunity to try to paint this month's offering (Christmas is coming too fast and we just started a remodel on the kitchen) but I sure am enjoying seeing all the entries!

binkie

*Violet*
12-13-2006, 09:07 PM
hey binkie ... glad you like the project pic ... hope you can find the time to do it but understand if you can't what with all that's on your plate ...

deborah ... many thx for the info on the alstroemeria ... such a beautiful flower ... and great since it's so long lasting ... sad tho it has next to no scent ... what i like to do however, is sneak a sprig of freesia ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freesia ... with it's gorgeous scent (i think it smells like alstroemeria should!!) into a bouquet of alstroemeria ... *then* it's a beautiful and aromatic arrangement ... :) ...

pequan
12-16-2006, 03:02 PM
Ok here this is and I must say, it is probably one of the worst paintings I have ever done..... to much rushing around trying to finish...... HAPPY HOLIDAYS ONE AND ALL.... and a Healthy and a very happy new year to everyone.............. :wave:

*Violet*
12-17-2006, 12:56 AM
my turn to say *you're being too hard on yourself* ... i think it's quite nice !! ... your alstoemeria is very convincing and the painted daisies have great form and depth ... very nice against the green background ... is that velour? ... and here's wishing you happy holidays and a merry new year ... :)

Pat Isaac
12-17-2006, 10:27 AM
I agree with Violet, and the "lilies" (can't spell that work) are very nice.....

Pat

sundiver
12-17-2006, 07:52 PM
Pequan, nothing wrong with it- put it away until you're feeling relaxed, then tweak it a little bit without looking at the original photo, and I bet you'll like it.

scall0way
12-19-2006, 12:14 PM
Ooh, nice to see all the lovely efforts here! I never did get the November painting done. Life has been so crazy the last few months. Now that art classes have ended for the fall I'm not getting any painting done at all. Well I have next week off from work. Maybe after Christmas I'll make some time to paint. :) I'm feeling rusty.

But these flowers look lovely, even though flowers generally terrify me and never have much luck with them!

pequan
12-19-2006, 06:17 PM
thanks for the comments kids.......I have redone the project...since it was done on Wallis paper, I brushed it all back and started over....think it is better.... not a "keeper" but much better.....of course all C & C's are welcomed :p

Pat Isaac
12-19-2006, 06:23 PM
Yes, it is better. Much more subtle shading and detail. I like the addition of the baby's breath (I think that is what it is).

Pat

*Violet*
12-19-2006, 09:54 PM
wow ... it is lovely !! ... much better, yes ... and like pat the addition of the baby's breath is very nice addition and well done too !! ... :thumbsup:

dusgirl
12-24-2006, 09:29 AM
Pequan, I really like the second. Wallis is great!! I've not had time to do ANYTHING arty, so I'm amazed you found time to do two. I'm hoping between Chritsmas and New Years to do something. Never posted images before, I'll be excited it I can figure it out. Looking forward to joining in on the fun.
Rita

calice
12-26-2006, 01:27 AM
This is a great website! I had a question but found the answer with my husbands help.

calice
12-26-2006, 01:34 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Dec-2006/92716-DecPastel2.jpg

Hi! I'm new. This is Unison and Rembrant soft pastel brushed with water. Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Calice:wave:

Deborah Secor
12-26-2006, 04:56 PM
Hi calice... This has a very soft, almost watercolor look to it! It's very sweet and delicate looking, quite nice.

Are you a watercolorist? One thing I find is that when people come from watercolors they have to be encouraged to add some darks... I'd love to see what happens when you do this one without the water, too.

Glad you could join us here! :wave:

Deborah

calice
12-26-2006, 11:28 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Dec-2006/92716-Decpastel2.jpg
Here is my second try with dry pastel on top ;)

calice
12-26-2006, 11:34 PM
You have so much depth- it is beautiful!
Calice

*Violet*
12-26-2006, 11:47 PM
welcome to the project and to wetcanvas! calice ... your pastel painting has a lovely dreamy quality to it and the flowers are nicely identifiable ... if you would like to achieve more depth, more contrast would be what to try for ... darker darks and lighter lights

dusgirl ... welcome to you too to wetcanvas! and to this forum !! .... to learn about uploading images, try this link http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297697 ... i believe it should answer your questions ... let us know if it doesn't !! ...

sjb
12-27-2006, 01:51 PM
Hi all,

After what seemed like an endless wait until Christmas, I finally have my set of Rembrandts! :D So here's the first effort with them.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Dec-2006/94247-pstrokes_dec2006_sjb.jpg

I'm quite happy with the result. It's on Canson 9 by 12 blue on the rough side.

Simon

michellej
12-27-2006, 07:07 PM
Simon! that is georgeous! i love the textures on the centre of the flower and the colour and fragility of the petals.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Calice Welcome i love the floaty, almost iridescent feel to your flowers.

Well as for mine.... I did start, trying to prepare for exhibition and new term and house stufff and :eek: NO TIME!

Anyway In case I don't get here before then HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL! I SPEAK BLESSINGS INTO YOUR LIVES.:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

jshelby
12-27-2006, 10:02 PM
Help, I can't see any of the graphics/paintings. Does anyone know what could be the problem?
Jan

Deborah Secor
12-28-2006, 06:15 PM
Jan--I'm sorry! I wonder what's up? Have you tried it again since yesterday? Let me know if you're still having problems today and I'll see what we can do...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Dec-2006/23609-December_PS_ptg..jpg

I finally found a bit of time to paint! I had a lot of fun with this one. Instead of doing a realistic painting I thought I'd abstract a little, just distilling the shapes and playing with the contrast, softening, blurring, then adding colors and lines where it seemed most interesting. It's on Mattson Pastel Paper, which is a mould made, soft, rather velvety paper. I squiggled in a few lines to locate things, then just went for it with the darks, building up to the light. At the end I added the dark graphic lines, at the bottom using a very dark green pastel and higher up using charcoal, since it seemed to need it. My last touches were the whites dancing in along the top and down into the flowers. I played with the colors a lot, too! Fun little piece... it's 11x6.5".

I'm open to any comments, of course!

Violet, we're getting close to the end of the month. Thanks for hosting this one! Right now, with snow falling outside, I have to tell you how nice it is to go play in the flowers!! :thumbsup:

Deborah

sundiver
12-28-2006, 07:02 PM
Very nice, Calice! The second version definitely has more pop to it.:)
Simon, excellent "breaking-in" of those new Rembrandts! The colour is lovely and you have lots of depth, in fact it looks almost embossed.
Deborah, I'm drooling!:clap:

sjb
12-28-2006, 07:34 PM
Deborah, I see we picked the same flowers to paint! :) Someday I'll figure out how to do a loose, impressionistic style like that. I love the intense colors.

Wendy, Greta: thanks for the positive comments. My only regret is that I used the rough side of the paper: you can't see it in the scan, but there's a lot of the paper showing through.

Simon

*Violet*
12-29-2006, 05:12 AM
simon ... that sure is a lovely painting !! ... keeping the colours so soft and light so effectively made a truly pleasing visual treat ...

deborah ... what a grand bold version you've done !! ... you inspire us to *see* more than appears to be there and to be adventurous !!

Dot Hoffman
12-29-2006, 09:19 AM
Everyone has done so beautifully with this, but Deborah, I love yours for the bold colors and the abstraction. Love it :)

jshelby
12-29-2006, 11:13 AM
I can't see any of the graphics now. I'm just dying to see all your lovly paintings. It's probably my computer, but just thought someone might have a simple answer for a setting here in WetCanvas. I'll go looking again. Someday I'll see your work!!
Jan

Deborah Secor
12-29-2006, 12:41 PM
Let me see if I can get some help for you, Jan... I'll PM you if anyone has any ideas.

Deborah

michellej
12-29-2006, 04:44 PM
Deborah'
Wow!Wow!Wow! That is beautiful.
I love the boldness of the colours. They just pop out at you.:clap: Great!

calice
12-29-2006, 08:18 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Dec-2006/92716-Decpastel3.jpg
I was inspired by the depth in Wendy's oil pastel. This is my final try with soft pastel-no water. A real learning experience! Thanks for the advice about contrast- I'm still trying to apply it!
Happy New Year,
Calice:)

sjb
12-29-2006, 08:27 PM
That's really great, Calice! I especially like the right-hand flower. It's a spectacular use of color. The abstract background is great, too.

Simon

michellej
12-30-2006, 08:36 AM
Nice job on the flowers Calice. I also like the background. It helps to push the flowers forward.

jshelby
12-30-2006, 10:20 AM
For some reason today I can see the paintings, and they are beautiful. I guess computers are indeed magic.

jshelby
12-30-2006, 05:49 PM
Well, here is my try. Now that I took the picture I can see it needs some more darks at the top. It was a hard one, and this is even my second try.

Jan
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Dec-2006/93577-sflowers.jpg

*Violet*
12-30-2006, 06:01 PM
very nice jan !! ... your painting has a lovely painterly quality to it ... just as it is ... but i'll agree with your assessment with it perhaps needing a bit more darks at the top ... but i think *just* to reduce the outline of the leaf .... if you do work on it more, i hope you'll post it too ...

*Violet*
12-30-2006, 07:00 PM
here we are ... dec 30 ... i know there's one day left but thought i'd do this anyway ... i can always do another .... here's all (i hope!!) the entries this far ...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Dec-2006/46454-12_06_entries.gif

hope they look ok ...

Kathryn Wilson
12-30-2006, 07:34 PM
Wow, Violet - it's really great to see all of them together in one spot. It would be nice to do this for every monthly strokes we do. Maybe you can give us a hand and teach us how you did this?

Great job on this month - it's a busy month for everyone.

*Violet*
12-30-2006, 07:48 PM
i'd be happy to try to do this each month ... i created a table in microsoft word 4 columns wide as wider would require each picture to be smaller ... i then inserted pictures into cells and resized the photos as necessary .... i fiddled with the images to incorporate vertical orientations to come to a finished collection of about 12 ... (4 columns x 3 rows) ... i formated the table to have invisible borders, brought it up in page preview and then i used a screen capturing software (printkey) to capture an image of it ... i cropped it, saved it, and resized it to as large a size as i thought wetcanvas! could accept knowing if just a little oversized it would be resized to fit ... didn't take too long ...

Deborah Secor
12-30-2006, 08:59 PM
You did this in WORD? Good job--and nearly miraculous, IMHO!

I think it would be a great inclusion for the PS threads... thanks, Violet!

Deborah

sundiver
12-30-2006, 11:24 PM
Calice,this one's definitely my favorite of yours!
Jan, that is superb! Is it on dark paper? Yes, some dark at the top would look good, but it is lovely as is!

Violet, what a nice montage! Sounds like a lot of work, too. I don't know about other photo-imaging software, but it's easy to do on Photosuite, just click and drag the images onto a blank page.

*Violet*
12-31-2006, 01:29 AM
deborah and wendy ... it truly isn't difficult to do this in word ... a table nicely separates the images and they can be dragged and dropped into it too ... i've used word in the workplace for about as long as it's been out so don't find much difficult to do with it ... i don't have photosuite but i just got adobe photoshop and it probably can do something similar too but i've not familiarized myself with the features of it yet ... would accept any tutoring tho !! ... 8v) ... (that's *my* :) ) ...

Juliana
01-01-2007, 06:45 PM
Beautiful Works!
I really liked all of them!

And I liked this thread... so I'm going to try the next!

Congratulations for all of you!

pequan
01-19-2007, 09:14 PM
WOW VIOLET: you are talented..........thanks for doing this
_____
Linda

PhilERoberts
01-31-2007, 07:07 AM
Thanks for the idea of the flowers. This is my effort with which I am fairly pleased as its only my second op.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jan-2007/98422-flowers.jpg

Look forward to any comments

Phil

Pat Isaac
01-31-2007, 07:49 AM
Welcome to the OP forum, Phil. Only your second OP! Very nice and the color is wonderful. Hope you'll join us again.

Pat

*Violet*
02-06-2007, 11:12 PM
hi phil ! ... and welcome to the Pastel Talk's December Pastel Project and the forum ... as Pat said, very nice and colourful and very good for only your second OP .... do join us for more !

*Violet*
02-06-2007, 11:57 PM
ok ... with this last entry i've redone the collage ...:)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Feb-2007/46454-12_06_entries_2sm.jpeg

great jobs everyone !! ... don't we all look good together? ... i hope i didn't miss anyone !!