PDA

View Full Version : Resetting Defaults in PhotoShop CS2

donna_thom
12-04-2006, 06:33 PM
Hi, Can anyone tell me how to reset the defaults in PS at launch? I used to know the sequence ( I think it goes something like Crl, Shift, Alt something but I can't remember) I lost my post-it-note with the directions!! :( I can't get my eliptical marquis to work (it won't expand) so I want to reset everything.
Thanks!
Donna

Manstein
12-04-2006, 07:52 PM
Damned if I can remember it myself if no joy here ask on....

RetouchPro.com

RAE99
12-04-2006, 07:59 PM
I believe in Windows you hold down CTRL-ALT-SHIFT and load PS. It will ask if you want to delete your settings. In your case, I guess you answer YES.

:)

Ron

Windbreaker
12-04-2006, 09:03 PM
I can't help you with that global reset but if you press alt when you open dialog boxes the cancel button will change to reset on most of them. Just make sure you hold down alt throughout the clicking process or it will revert to cancel.

kaleidoscope eyes
12-05-2006, 11:40 PM
I've moved your thread over to the 'Photography' forum Donna. The place for equipment and software threads. :)

Joe Zydeco
12-15-2006, 08:00 PM
Donna, here is the way to make it work first time, every time:

1) Move the mouse pointer onto the Photoshop desktop icon, but don't click yet.
2) Position 3 fingers over Ctrl, Alt, and Shift (either set will do).
3) Double-click the mouse to start loading PS, then immediately press and hold the 3 keys down.
4) In a few seconds, a window will pop up asking whether you want to delete the settings file. Release the 3 keys and click on the Yes button.

To prevent the file from becoming corrupted in the future, always shut down Photoshop before you shut down the computer. Also, you should have a battery backup unit to prevent unexpected shutdowns due to power failures.

Windy
12-16-2006, 03:11 PM
Thank you for that information Joe :)

Joe Zydeco
12-16-2006, 04:09 PM
Hi Wendy, I thought I should post this footnote to explain myself a little better. I am very new to this forum, and I wouldn't want anyone to think that, in my post above, I am treating you folks like pre-schoolers, ya know. :)

I hang out over at Adobe's Photoshop forum, and the question of how to reset the program settings comes up at least a couple of times per week. The simple procedure is in the FAQ there, but an astonishing number of people have trouble executing it, apparently because the keystrokes must be executed quickly. That's why I wrote it up in such excruciating detail!

If there is a FAQ here, it's fine with me if someone wants to put the procedure there and point people to it rather than having to explain it every time...

Windy
12-16-2006, 04:30 PM
hmm we did have a thread on stuff like that but we had a reshuffle and I am not sure where it disappeared to. Many people find it easier to pose a question than to wade through faqs that may not answer exactly what they need.
What happens if you hold the 3 keys down before you click?
Welcome to the photography forum. We have 4 sections as you probably worked out. The main page for the technical hoo-ha, the manips where we massacre our own and othwers shots, the darkroom for the serious show and tell as well comments and critiques, and last the pub where we share happy snaps, travelogues, etc and general chitchat. The "Daily" goes up most days and we just share a bit of what is going on in our lives there so "doo drop inn".

Joe Zydeco
12-16-2006, 05:16 PM
What happens if you hold the 3 keys down before you click?

Nothing at all. Windows has no idea of what "Ctrl-Alt-Shift-Double-Click" means, so it will ignore you. The deal is that, when double-clicking an icon, you are talking to Windows, not to the application program. Your double-click causes Windows to reserve appropriate memory space (for Photoshop in this case), and then it turns control over to the app. Within the first second or so after Photoshop gains control, it checks to see whether Ctrl, Alt, and Shift are all pressed. If not, it moves on and continues loading, and that includes the old preferences file, mangled or not. That's what makes the keypresses time-critical. It's not a good way to handle things, and several of us recently posted suggestions for improving the process. It would be nice for Adobe to improve this in CS3, but I'll not hold my breath for that! Ironically, users who systematically close down Photoshop before shutting their computer off never seem to have a need to reset the preferences file.

Thanks for the welcome and the invite--I'll have to explore all those caves as time permits. (Instant gratification takes so-oooo long!)

Windy
12-16-2006, 05:55 PM
Thanks Joe, I may have to do this same reboot for my Corel Painter Program actually due to it having crashed and causing issues ........... luckily my PS is behaving fine.
I have saved my custom brushes off to a different area of the computer .... am tryingto work out what other things I need to save off before I do it though. I have been having huge issues with Painter 8, XP and Users set up .... :confused:

Joe Zydeco
12-16-2006, 10:09 PM
Wendy, Ctrl-Alt-Shift is a combo that only Photoshop looks for. It is highly unlikely that Painter works the same way. Sorry I can't help you with that program. You're just gonna have to Read The Friendly Manual! :)

Windy
12-16-2006, 10:16 PM
lol Joe the oh so friendly manual did not help much on this problem I am afraid. I did read somewhere about a similar set of keys to do the Painter reboot. However I seem to have solved my problem somewhat I bit the bullet and got 9.5 ........... :D everything so far seems to be running smoother than I ever got 8 to run

Joe Zydeco
12-16-2006, 10:43 PM
Well now, Wendy, it's cheating to make a problem go away by zapping the whole thing from your computer. However, since the countdown of days left till Christmas went into single digits today (though I'm not at all sure what that's got to do with the price of oysters in Kansas), I suppose it's Ok just thiis once! :lol:

Windy
12-18-2006, 04:44 PM
lol Joe. I have had nothing but grief with the program since I changed computers so .... so far the program has been working well.