PDA

View Full Version : Polymer Clay Newbie

Peekas
12-04-2006, 12:33 AM
So Im new at this and the site. Just lookin for some feedback I guess. These are a few of my creations.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Dec-2006/96077-Picture_066.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Dec-2006/96077-Picture_046.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Dec-2006/96077-Picture_052.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Dec-2006/96077-Picture_056.jpg

Thanks guys!
Peekas

rosebead
12-04-2006, 09:05 AM
those are great! I love your imagination. :)

Penguintrax
12-04-2006, 06:06 PM
Cute and you have a good sense of proportion for the bodies.

bionicanaconda
12-08-2006, 08:52 AM
Hi Peekas, Hope these are not inspired by your dreams.
I do like them though, keep up the good work,

barbmarie
12-08-2006, 10:16 AM
Love your work.
I'm new @ polymer clay and also the web site.
learning as I go.
Barb

Elegance_1
12-08-2006, 03:08 PM
Awwww.... those are so cute! hehehe

I have everything I need to work clay but it's still sitting in the packages until after the first of the year. Can't wait to start!

BarbaraJ

Bendaini
12-09-2006, 05:10 AM
That monkey is just adorable.
Poly clays are fun. If you let them cool like in a fridge they get a little harder and don't smear, like on the eye on the right. Or you can take the flat edge of a knife or something and very careful scrape it. That takes practice.

What are you using for tools?

FriendCarol
12-09-2006, 06:03 AM
Hope you don't mind if I ask another polymer newbie... I'm a wanna-be polymer clay newbie! When I was in high school nearly 40 years ago, I did a few little sculptures in ordinary clay. Real clay would be much too dirty for me to use in my current circumstances.

From what I see & read here, it looks as if the texture of polymer clay makes it much harder to shape overall and get detail (using wire clay tools), at least. How do you find it compares with actual clay, if you've used them both? Does the whole figure tend to want to come along when you're working on a part of it? How large (small) are your figures here? I'm thinking of getting an armature and wire, too, since I want to make small human figures (maybe a foot tall), usually as models for painting.

Is Sculpey Premo the best for detail? Anything that would convey a sense of what it's like to work with this stuff much appreciated... I used some generic 'play-doh' stuff last year and it was no good at all; couldn't hold an edge without cracking, for example, just couldn't 'hold together,' if you know what I mean.

I like the little guy with the long nose (and the hair looks like the clay came to a decent point -- was that hard?). :) How did you make the different pieces stick together (or did you paint these afterwards)?

Bendaini
12-09-2006, 07:16 AM
sculpy is some amazing stuff. Polemere clay centeral has displays of what people do with sculpy all the time, and some of the sculptures are just amazing. Then they have the fax ston/wood areas where they show you how to make fake agate, jade, topaz... you name it.

Having tried a lot of differant clays I would say sculpy has some similarities to modeling clay. It is nothing like playdoh, and has some of the consistency of regular clay, but you can't wet it down like clay to make it easier to shape.

You can use all sorts of tools on sculpy. In using it I usually have it stuck to a ceramic tile and it sits beside my computer screen. When I am bord, or waiting for something I'll pick up my favorite tool, which happens to be a rather large sewing needle, and use it to press and carve at the sculpy.

Sculpy can get a nice edge to it as long as your careful not to burn it in the thin spots. The trick to that is not having a big differance in your depths... hollow it out if nessesary, or use armatures of foil which bake very nicely since sculpy does not shrink.

My figures are usually 3 inches tall, but i like working small. I just did a miniture turkey for a doll house which was smaller then a quarter. It held some nice detail for that.

The largest I've gone is about 6", a figure sitting on a stone. It came out nice, but i found myself having to prop it because the warmth was letting it droop a little. Sticking it in the freezer would have helped with that, or the armature which I plan to use should I do a large model again.

You can make sculpy harder by sticking it in the frige, but it never gets like dry clay where you can carve it. Instead it's more like modeling clay and will take any texture or detail you can press, shape, and pound into it, and keep that shape till you redo it.

BUT! after sculpy is hard you can then treet it like a slightly harder piece of dry clay and sculpt and grind it with sanders, drills, and the like. Sanding is nice because you can get out finger prints and other little defects with ease. You can also paint it.

for more information you really should check out polymere clay centeral.

Bendaini
12-09-2006, 07:20 AM
Oh, I forgot one thing.

When finished and baked Sculpy is breakable. It does not shatter like ceramic, but it does crack and break if under too much stress. The smaller the section, thinner, the easier to bend and break. However sculpy has a little give after baking so thicker things, or sculptures with armatures in them, are fairly durable.

And I wouldn't suggest eating out of a sculpy item.

FriendCarol
12-09-2006, 04:39 PM
Thanks so much! That really helps, and I like the idea of aluminum foil for armatures, too. :thumbsup:

Faerydae
12-31-2006, 07:47 PM
They are precious!!! Good going!!! :)

dpglassworks
01-01-2007, 07:29 AM
Adorable... I especially love the little guy with the looooong nose... I neeed to go get out my clay!! I can never get the proportions right when I try to do characters....