PDA

View Full Version : Week 49 Classical Art Journey

Nickel
12-02-2006, 09:22 PM
Hi and welcome to week 49!!! of classical art journey. :)

Each week we try to do art, classical, traditional, any medium.
Use something from this week or your own topic.
Any medium is welcome.

We have decided to extend this journey pass our week 52. :thumbsup:
That's cool with me. I've heard from a few, Please don't forget
to let yourself be heard about what you'd like to do in the coming weeks.
I don't know how long we will go on, but let's keep at it and
get better while we are doing it.

Remember the slogan, use it or lose it. :eek:

Nickel

Nickel
12-02-2006, 09:36 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Dec-2006/39040-001_0296.jpg

Juan Sánchez Cotán
(1560–1627),
Still Life with Fruits and Vegetables,
ca. 1602.
Oil on canvas 69.5 x 96.5 cm.
Várez Fisa Collection, Madrid

Unlike the French phrase nature morte (literally "dead nature") or the term "still life," which is its closest equivalent in English, the Spanish term bodegón does not imply death or immobilization, but instead relates to the pantry, or bodega, where the objects pictured in these canvases were commonly kept.

And like that space, the traditional bodegón was infused with humility and a sense of the everyday, though as the genre emerged during the Counter-Reformation, these qualities were often coupled with a profoundly transcendental value.

In works by pioneers of the genre such as Juan Sánchez Cotán, humble fruits, vegetables, or baked goods are set against an inky black background, enabling sensations of spatial timelessness to intersect with the contradictory impressions of temporal brevity aroused by objects whose precise and minutely described materiality seems to transform them into dramatic reminders of the transience of beauty or the notion of perishability.

This tension distinguishes the Spanish bodegón from the sumptuous spreads of the kitchen tables of Flanders, or the expressive burlesque of the figures appearing in Italian pictures of the same time.

The Museo del Prado is presenting

“The Imitation of the Real. Spanish Still Lifes from the Naseiro Collection acquired by the Prado”
(24 October 2006 - 7 January 2007)

An exhibition of the forty Spanish still lifes from the collection of Rosendo Naseiro.

http://museoprado.mcu.es/msite_ilofingido/home1.html

This week something new

I will challenge you to a project of sorts

submit something that relates to the pantry, or bodega, where the objects in your picture are commonly kept.

Let's have fun and make art.

Yours truly, Nickel

tyree
12-03-2006, 05:03 PM
something in my pantry could be very very scary:p great idea nickel...beautiful painting too!!!! will see what i can come up with my two days off!!!! tyree:wave:

azulparsnip
12-03-2006, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the challenge Nickel, I'll try and come up with something related to the pantry...

I have a pencil study of Curran's Luxembourg Garden started but my time has been the top premium this week......I hope to post that in the next day or two.

Art is an important part of life.

Nickel
12-03-2006, 08:21 PM
Hi Susan, Hi Azulparsnip

lol, I went and looked in the cubbard, must organized it first......:rolleyes:
I try and keep things together in the pantry. Alas, I am the only one around here that does. I gave up fussing years ago. Saving my breath for
old age when I might for sure need it. Not for sure mine won't be boring, it
is mostly can goods, but cookbooks abound should add some interest.
Anyway try to have some fun with it. :thumbsup:

Can't wait to see what you both come up with. :)
Thanks for taking the challenge.

Can't wait to see the pretty garden picture too!

Sincerely Nickel

Mony G
12-04-2006, 12:29 PM
Hi everybody.. Nickel... the still life reference is great... I would like to try a study of it in pastels ... but for now I have a new entry... I 'm sorry being a bit late as it was in two weeks ago... I would have liked to compare mine with Pushingpixel's .. I think it could be a good idea to try everybody the same study.. nevertheless I also like the freedom of this "journey "! ... I'd really like to continue it ! A good idea could perhaps be to suggest a subject to study freely ... do you remember the "peacock week " (week 39) ?http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Dec-2006/77963-the_tub.jpg ..study from Degas.. "the Tub"

Well, the picture hasn't been uploaded in the position I wanted it to!

Goodbye to you all.. :wave:

Mony G

Nickel
12-04-2006, 01:40 PM
Beautiful line work Mony! Barb will smile when she sees her.
Yes I do remember the peacocks. Love them!!!
Your suggestions are good.
Each week((or once a month))((up to you all)) somebody, the first to post could suggest the
idea for us to do that week or we could take turns, draw straws, rock paper scissors or something like that. It'd be fun. And yes, I love to be free. :) no bounderies to hold me, but I am trying line work now. So hard.:D Sincerely Nickel

artbyjune
12-04-2006, 03:37 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Dec-2006/11473-Daisy1y1.jpg

Hi everyone on the 'journey'. I've been working with egg tempera as part of the Italian Renaissance workshop. I did a portrait today, attempting the 'verdaccio' method of underpainting, but I must have gone wrong somewhere, because all my shading dissappeared under the pink flesh hue, and so I reverted to painting over it... afterwards.

I love this medium tho' and so I plan to keep practising till I improve .. mainly my brushstrokes, which are too visible and not smooth. I think this is because I am using my paint too thickly. Might be an OK effect when it comes to animal fur.

artbyjune
12-04-2006, 03:40 PM
Hi Mony, I love your study of Degas. I like his pastels very much and look forward to seeing your pastel version!

Granby
12-04-2006, 06:24 PM
Really good drawing Mony, very well done, I've seen several copy attempts of this work and this is the best version I have seen.

I remember the peacocks too, and I've had them on my mind for a while - I just today found a great peacock photo and am going to try and paint it in egg tempera. I think it will the perfect subject for tempera because of the bright layered feather colors.

Nice work June. I really like working with the egg tempera also, the color depth is really amazing. It is hard to get the thickness just right but I'm eager to give it another try. I definitely like it better than acrylic, and it is a good quick drying alternative to oils. (Tip: many stores sell ridicuously cheap acrylic paints - I've tried mixing them with egg yolk instead of watercolors and noticed very little difference between the two)

I would vote for once a month organized activity rather than weekly (maybe bi-weekly?) since I am far too disorganized to generally be able to keep up with weekly events.

Great subject this week Nickel. I was going to skip this week but you lured me in. Here is my effort at a spanish bodegon, although highly undeserving of such a cool name. Snuck this picture in during breaks at work. I should have realized I was in trouble when I stuck a toy arrow to the apple to heighten the drama, or when I realized the only stuff I had laying around the office containing color was dry erase markers.

Have a great week everyone..happy holidays..

Nickel
12-04-2006, 06:24 PM
This is a beautiful compositional painting June. I can't see it good, but good enough to see it is striking! This looks like it could be your sister! :D Nickel

Nickel
12-04-2006, 06:26 PM
Granby, I think we doubled post, where's the picture! :)

Nickel
12-04-2006, 06:35 PM
LOL Granby, that arrow works, cool job!!!!
Now your not telling me this is dry erase......you rock! :D
You got to go with what you got when you get the mood you know, well
at least I mean in drawing. IT looks like a painting.
Oh, glad you joined in, would miss you. And the words in Italic are not mine, and I would like to give credit to the writer but lost the source but it had to do with this museum someplace somewhere. I thought outstanding information to share with you all.
I ran all day, will head off to do art tonight. :D Nickel

tyree
12-04-2006, 07:24 PM
some great ideas for next year are developing..glad we are going forth with it....mony...an excellent degas, very strong in line... june...interesting portrait..i love the treatment of her hair and the slight smile and mood on her face....granby..the arrow is wayyyy to funny..hard to believe this is dry erase..very clever and nicely done....tyree:wave: :clap:

artbyjune
12-05-2006, 03:46 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone.

Hi Granby. I like your fruit study. I'm not very practised when it comes to still life. But fruit are lovely to draw/paint. I was thinking of going on to try egg yolk mixed with water mixable oil paint. I never thought of trying egg and acrylics. Could you mix egg and dry pastels, I wonder?

I took a better picture of my tempera portrait. I might post it in the tempera forum later on, because its slow over there just now. I called this one 'Daisy ' because of the daisy in the vase. I thought I might try a few more ladies with flowers...either from real people in photos or imaginary females.

This one is loosely :lol: based on a photo I took of myself...good to practise with your own face as you are more tolerant of your beginning efforts:lol: The background is imagined but loosely based on Botticelli type of framing/composition.

I hope we continue these journeys. I only just found them!!:D

Who has seen works by van der Weyden? I just discovered his paintings and think they are terrific.:heart:

tyree
12-05-2006, 12:47 PM
hey everyone...our barb and nickel..have a neat project this christmas in the classical forum..to design a xmas ornament..check it out..tyree:wave:

Granby
12-05-2006, 01:23 PM
Thanks Nickel,Tyree, and June for your kind comments on my absurd still life. I drew it in graphite first and sort of glazed on the dry erase markers - if you are ever desperate for a colored lemon picture a pencil and a yellow highlighter is all you need. (maybe I'm the only one who finds myself in these situations :) )

I'm trying to learn to appreciate a good still life, but as far as making one I'm clueless. I found a really cool book at a thrift store for 50 cents, its a recipe book called 'Passion Fruit', anyway it is filled with wonderful still life photos where the photographer made the still life photos look like old Master paintings - Which is a really cool twist since we see so many paintings that try to look like photos. If anyones interested I can scan a photo and post it.

June - You can make tempera with pastels. Here is a WC article on that very subject. I've tried it and it works.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/21273/400/index.php

Egg yolk is a scientific thingamijig called an emulsion. That means it can mix with water or oil and the two can be mixed together with an emulsion present (hint: how do you make mayonaisse). The reason you can mix it with watercolors and acrylic is because they are both water soluble. Anyway, the really cool thing is that oil and tempera are compatible. Meaning you can paint oil over it, or can paint tempera over wet oil - both are tried and true historically archival methods. If you have some mad scientist genes in you - this is great - because for all practical purposes it means you can mix any common painting materials together you want.

I've tried mixing both water-soluble and regular oils with egg yolk with very little success- I suspect the pigment is already so fully suspended in oil due to the mechanical processing that it is hard to get the yolk bound in.

(Nickel - count me in on the chrimas tree ornament - this will be fun)

artbyjune
12-05-2006, 02:39 PM
Mnay thanks for the link, Granby. I'm off to read it!!

Nickel
12-05-2006, 02:45 PM
Hi ya kiddos, Granby, I like to see the pics!
I'd like to see that hog with a Santa hat too :D
So cool, hope you haven't ate him. :(
Just tell me no even if true. N

azulparsnip
12-06-2006, 10:12 AM
Mony - nice study of Degas:thumbsup:

Granby- markers!!!! you are fearless!! and it worked..the arrow does make it intriguing...;)

June - I think you got the feel of an Italian ren portrait....I think you will get the technique as you go :)

I would enjoy doing a group project bi weekly or monthly - monthly better

Here's the pencil study of Curran - hope to get some color on it soon. I noticed how the background figures are reduced to squared shapes and then read about doing that in the Speed book.

Granby
12-06-2006, 11:09 AM
Hi everyone - per your request Nickel (best I can do on short notice):

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Dec-2006/81936-Christmas_Pig.jpg

Here are a couple images from the book I mentioned earlier, 'Passion Fruit' by Alex Gotfryd, Photographs by Alex Gotfryd
The author has passed away and it is no longer in publication, but there are lots of used copies on Amazon starting at 50 cents. It is well worth 50 cents if you like poetry,fruit, or still lifes.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Dec-2006/81936-Still_Life1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Dec-2006/81936-Still_Life2.jpg

Nickel
12-06-2006, 12:52 PM
Azulparsnip your Curran is looking good!!! I can't wait for the color either :D
What chapter did you read the square part in Speed?
I was thinking about his book last night, it is a really gold mine of information.
It may take me all of next year to work through it ;)

Granby, thanks for the pic and the book title.
Lovely lovely lovely pictures! I'll look at my used book store
this afternoon. Then resort to Amazon, it looks like wow, want one too. :)

Sweet Wilbur you got....please post him to the Christmas tree thread.

I don't know exactly how we are going to put these pictures on a tree,
not good with tech, but wish we could do our pics and put them on the
tree like in real life.

June, there are 133 images in ARC and I am posting this link
http://www.humanitiesweb.org/human.php?s=g&p=c&a=s&ID=188
Rogier van der Weyden. Yes very good artist. There are 6 paintings
in London Gallery. I don't know if on viewing or not. I knew that painting
resembled you :wave: It's really interesting how you have fallen in love
with tempera. :) Don't you just love it when something new makes you
go on wow, how did I live without knowing this....:cat:

Nickel

Nickel
12-06-2006, 12:58 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Dec-2006/39040-velazq.jpg

Nickel
12-06-2006, 01:06 PM
I read this

In a Spanish Kitchen

At a time when the Inquisition raged,
even cookbooks warned
that a senora with
an unswept floor,
a misplaced saucepan, or
a neglected cooking oven would be
duly punished by hell-fire.

Thus, the Spanish housewife kept the kind of
meticulously clean kitchen that
insired Velazquez' bodegon,
or kitchen scene.

The learn old woman in Velazquez' painting of 1618
prepares her almuerzo, or mid-morning meal,
on a brazier.

The eggs frying in olive oil,
along with some onion, minced garlic, and
pimento, may constitute her only meal of the day.

Perhaps she can tempt the boy to share his wine and melon
with her.

Consoling but not fulling is the native proverb

'With a handful of olives and a crust of bread, one can live.'

Nickel

Nickel
12-06-2006, 01:23 PM
You guys and girls want to work on doing a blog next year?
Never done a blog, but we could connect to each other.
Would be another way to stay in touch and share support & ideas.
http://wordpress.com/ Nickel

tyree
12-06-2006, 09:45 PM
nickel...i saw this velazquez while at the national gallery of scotland in 2001, its a wonderful piece...azul...this is going to be terrfic,, great start...granby..cute pig...and thats a terrific book, i will have to try and get it!!! tyree:wave:

tyree
12-06-2006, 09:49 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Dec-2006/65063-roots_1.jpg still only producing one piece of work a week,,work on both my jobs is tiring, this was from a bigs photo this week in the d/s forum, its mixed medium on w/c paper, different for me, as i dont always do colour...i still am going to try a pantry piece....tyree:wave:

artbyjune
12-07-2006, 03:47 AM
A lot to think about this week.

Nickel, you are right about me and tempera. I am thinking that way exactly...how did I live before egg tempera?? I will look at the link to van der weyden. I have one of his paintings in a new book I got at my local cheap art bookstore (remainders)...and loved it.

I would love to participate in a group classical art blog online. Thats a great idea.

I have a few ideas for projects I would like to do which might be added to a list we could make of ideas and then we could pick one from the pile for the current week.

1. animals in a composition
2. illuminate a poem or myth
3. try an allegory painting
4. different shapes of supports

maybe you've covered these but if we start a communal list we could spark ideas off.

Azulparsnip- what a beautiful drawing. I haven't read that book on drawing yet but I think I did download it!

Tyree- lovely dark sombre mood. Like an illustration to a Pre-raphaelite poem, e.g., Christina Rosetti

Granby, I love those fruit photos. especially the pears. That book would inspire me to paint still life, I'm sure!

Nickel
12-07-2006, 09:44 AM
Hi Susan, love this tree! It just reaches out and grabs you with the strength that a big tree like this would have. Awesome!
Hi June, great list! I was looking at round compo's last night and thought it'd be fun to try. I don't know much at all about blogs, will look to see how they work. I think they are like journals or something were you connect or link to other journals.
Well I did get to the bookstore, bought a cookbook of deserts, guess that qualifies as scuplture......Royal Viennese Walnut Torte, Spanish Lime Pie, Chocolate Mousse, Queen Mother's Cake. No luck on finding Granby's book.
Going to try......to get to work on stuff. I want to try and post my Ingres work, can't seem to get a very good picture of it at all. N

Mony G
12-07-2006, 01:25 PM
Hi again .. this is a great week.. full of inspiration and good topics . Thank you all for the compliments you paid me ! I like Granby's still life reference ... both are nice ! Talking about still life ...
I hadn't found the time to work on the Cotan still life yet...but I'd like you to see and give me your opinion on this oil painting I had made at the painting class I attend on Saturdays .. it has been criticized by some of my pals , two in particular who told me it has little volume , and they argued l that it doesn't seem spontaneous either... I don't mind it and although my teacher sometimes remarks that I lose too much time on details , losing the wholeness of the visual effect my paintings have ..but he liked it at the end and other pupils paid me some compliments too ! it is a still life !.. in particular I have taken the subject from the image reference library of this website... it is a bit changed but I wanted to tell you it isn't completely original .

the photograph was originally called "nectarines and grapes " or something like that if you want to give a look at it for a comparison !

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Dec-2006/77963-natura_morta_zip.jpg

the idea of the blog is nice .. I'd like to keep in touch with all of you.. we are a great group, and these weekly journeys are fun , although I also agree with Granby when he says it's hard to keep updated with the work and the threads!

Please let me know what you think about my painting ,it is in the still life topic.. isn't it? ...and I 'd love to have your opinion too!

Mony:wave:

P.s: I've never tried egg tempera.. sounds interesting!

artbyjune
12-07-2006, 01:30 PM
:thumbsup: Hi MonyG. I really like the richness of your colour effects. The nectarines look very soft and edible.

tyree
12-07-2006, 10:41 PM
mony...you have some tough critics in your class...i find the detail appealing, because thats how you intended it..the colour striking..it was not meant to be a painting of spontaniety but of detail as i see it...thank you junebug for the lovely comment on my work ..very poetic...nickel.thank you also as always ..the blog idea sounds good..is it difficult to set one up???? tyree:wave:

Nickel
12-08-2006, 07:35 AM
I've always remember this when someone comments about your work,
It's what they would have done if it was their work.
You just have to weight the comment and ask yourself why,
It's like when I cook something, somebody will say that's good
But
I would have cooked it this way.
Whatever the comment, Can it help you the next time whatever was suggested?
Now when you run into mean people that want to hurt you, well that
is a different story and you have to figure that out.
Ok that's my long song. Hope it helps.

I like the painting. THe values are good. The subject is classical.
I don't know what is meant by little volume, it must be something that
this person trys to work on themself. However and here is my but, it may be they are looking for more strenght in the background to balance the subject. Ask them how they try to achieve volume.

Spontaneous seems like they are talking about an alla prima technique which is evident you are not trying in this painting. They must like more spontaneous attitude in their work. Ask them how they try to achieve that in their work.

The good thing is that you didn't work directly from the photograph but worked to change the photo into a painting. It's not an easy thing.

It's nice to talk about these things, it helps us to move forward.
Have a really good day Mony.

And Susan, you ask the tuff question, is it difficult, I don't know exactly how much yet but am looking into it. See you all later N

Mony G
12-08-2006, 10:25 AM
I've always remember this when someone comments about your work,
It's what they would have done if it was their work.
You just have to weight the comment and ask yourself why,
It's like when I cook something, somebody will say that's good
But
I would have cooked it this way.
Whatever the comment, Can it help you the next time whatever was suggested?
Now when you run into mean people that want to hurt you, well that
is a different story and you have to figure that out.
Ok that's my long song. Hope it helps.

I like the painting. THe values are good. The subject is classical.
I don't know what is meant by little volume, it must be something that
this person trys to work on themself. However and here is my but, it may be they are looking for more strenght in the background to balance the subject. Ask them how they try to achieve volume.

Spontaneous seems like they are talking about an alla prima technique which is evident you are not trying in this painting. They must like more spontaneous attitude in their work. Ask them how they try to achieve that in their work.

The good thing is that you didn't work directly from the photograph but worked to change the photo into a painting. It's not an easy thing.

It's nice to talk about these things, it helps us to move forward.
Have a really good day Mony.

And Susan, you ask the tuff question, is it difficult, I don't know exactly how much yet but am looking into it. See you all later N

Thanks , everybody, for your comments on my painting!

and thank you, Nickel... for your kind words... you have probably got the point: my classmates were looking for a spontaneous approach in tecnique which they blame me not having... as they say that I "smoothen" my painting too much ! They perhaps would like more strengh, not as a balance in the background but in my own touch ... I sometimes think they are being a bit mean as I simply can't express energy which I don't have.. it simply isn't a part of my personality I guess... not to justify my faults! I feel it so difficult to let myself go sometimes .. and I feel some of my classmates as fierce criticizers!
of course it is very little time I oil paint and still have so much to learn ! My teacher instead, as you did, appreciated my efforts of "interpretation " of the photograph.
I don't think it was actually so easy to render the idea of reflection on the glass table ... I did it the best I could as reflections were something I had never faced before .. the colours aren't so bad either! ...as I said before , I don't mind it at all and think I am improving !
I'm glad to know your opinion about it !

Thank you so very much again and all of you too have a nice day !

Mony

Nickel
12-08-2006, 11:51 AM
Hey Mony, you hit the nail on the head.
You got to remember to stay true to yourself.
So many times I catch myself trying to do something I think
others will like or something along those lines rather than
following my own path. You got to be true to yourself!!
Thank you too! Nickel

Nickel
12-08-2006, 12:02 PM
Just so you all don't think I lay around doing nothing but talking with the keyboard:p here's some things to look at

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Dec-2006/39040-Image056.jpg

this one I thought I'd finished but no so sure since it has dried some,
may work on it, may not.

and this one I've just started.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Dec-2006/39040-60a.jpg

as you can see, the nose, my problem area looks like a bell swinging sideways. Now how did that happen????:evil:

I really have a hard time doing grisaille underpaintings, maybe because I am
not too much into glazing, I don't know, but haha but I'll see where this goes, really more a study of his line work than technique in the last one , the first one, well, hubby, when it comes to nudes, they barely get a first coat of paint and he runs off with them to put on his almost painted nudes. :p With a fan like him, gee, he makes me feel good anyways. :D sorry I know I don't take the best pictures but try :)

artbyjune
12-08-2006, 12:05 PM
Mony, I think there is a place in art for all approaches. Spontaneous, methodical, loose, detailed.

Sometimes it depends on your mood, or your personality, or just what the subject seems to call for in treatment.

Probably, its best to stay true to yourself, than to attempt to please others too much or follow fashions of the day.

Which is not to say you can't experiment and desire to improve...In ways you would like.

Anyway, criticisms can be hard to deal with, especially if you are beginning and not rock-solid in your path, (if anyone ever is?). Constructive help is much better!!

artbyjune
12-08-2006, 12:12 PM
Nickel, Beautiful study of Ingres. A lovely painting of the back view of the nude. And the bedspread is amazing. I would have liked to participate in the MOM on Ingres but...too much to do and not enough time to do it in.

I really like the expression on the girl in the second painting. I'm sure the nose will come right. I find noses a very problemmatical thing to get right (and lips and eyes. ha ha!!)

I haven't done many in grisaille either. What colours did you use?

Granby
12-08-2006, 12:53 PM
Hi Everyone,

Tyree - I liked your tree.

Mony, everyone here has already said what needs to be said. I think it is a beautiful painting. I see no signs of timidity in that painting - the darks ar dark, the brights are bright, the colors are bold. (I haven't been to an art class since I was five years old - so maybe I just do not know what they are talking about). Many parts are rendered superbly, the peaches in the bowl and the complicated reflections are just really excellent.

Hooray Nickel, glad to see you posting some stuff. The top painting especially is coming along very very nicely - you should steal it back and finish it. Noses are a tricky business for sure - they are smack dab in the middle of the face and if you get them too long or too short or to wide or to narrow - everything just looks messed up. I've had good luck trying to ignore the fact that a nose is there - just paint all the little shadows around the cheeks and eyes, on the thing,over the thing, and under it and pretty soon the nose just shows up all on its own. I think I remember from a drawing book that shadows always render form.

azulparsnip
12-08-2006, 02:14 PM
Nickel - Speed mentions straight lines alot - on page 92 he refers to "blocking in of the forms in straight lines" ) a nd there is an illustration on the previous page)

and then later on page 149 (chapter 11) he comments on the quality of strength being imparted through straight lines......... if you look at that particular painting by CC Curran the small figures in the background are reduced to one or two angular brush strokes amazingly well at givving the strong impression of the features and limbs........

There is soo much in Speed writing......I printed out the book and am sure I will be going back to it for a long time to come.

Tyree - thanks for the encouragement on the study - Your tree with roots is very powerful - my eye keeps going to the blurry foreground and then back into the picture , finding more and more neat stuff you have there

Mony - I am glad you have friends that will give an honest opinion - they are valuable..... but sometimes you just need to get on with your studies and not work to please. My d aughter has a saying up on her frig that I love " taste kills creativity". However, I do think the values of the peaches is off like the one in the bowl on the right has the save value as the one partially hidden in the left of the bowl....... but your creative, spontaneous spark is definitely there - especially like the play of light in the shadows on the table in the front and the way the grapes lead us into the playful greenry...... the bowl is lovely - I think this has alot going for it.

BIG WOW on that pink and blue bather, Nickel.....beauuutiful

I Don't know much about a blog but would like to keep in touch and this post is getting too long.....later..

but Granby - I am gonna look for that book - What is the author's name?

azulparsnip
12-08-2006, 02:16 PM
Oh , I just looked back and see the author and title in post #21.....good

Nickel
12-08-2006, 10:55 PM
Thanks guys for the nice encouragement on the paintings. I've been fighting with her ding dong bell nose, just finished wiping it off and will look at it again later. errrg. :lol: First off, I am pushing the challenge to next week. Forgive me, just will not have one finished by tomorrow. Each time I go in the kitchen I either cook something, eat something or have to clean something up. It's too cold outside and I am having winter locked up in the house pains. And I've only been back in since 5pm. :rolleyes: Thanks to Azulparsnip for looking up those pages. That book I thought would be an easy read, it is really not so easy, too much to think about and work out and ......on..& on. But I like it. I think in the long run you have to be ready for something to sink in, if not, it is either like a road block, you have to work it out and learn it, or skip it and next time around it may click. I like the " taste kills creativity" lol, that's funny but true. June, I'm not sure which one you are talking about the colors, the last one is mostly burnt sienna, an assorment of grey, prussian blue, thalo green, right off the top of my head, the other one, gees, trying to remember, I've been using naples yellow as my brightest color next to white, cad red light either venetian red, indian red; I should document what I do. It'd help me I am sure. Trying to limit colors as much as possible. Oh van dyke brown too. I'll try to be more specfic, if there is a place you want to know for sure. Trying to stay on the darker end of the value ranges of colors. Hope this helps. I'm not great with making colors out of just five colors. Plan to work on color charts next year. Just never enough time.

PushingPixels
12-09-2006, 03:20 AM
My goodness! stay away for a while and you guys and girls just go to town. Some beautiful submissions this week. I did a pic of some finches for a friend and put them in the mail before I thought to scann them. Awwwe.

I loved all of the pics especially the fruit with arrow:lol: .

Money I loved your bather :) .

Good job on your Ingress Nickel.... loverly.
I may get somethin done I may not but I always gotta pop in and see what ya'll have been up to.

warm wishes for cool evenings
barb

PushingPixels
12-09-2006, 04:28 AM
Computer art (photoshop)
Title: The Last one

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2006/44004-bannasm.jpg:p

Nickel
12-09-2006, 06:51 PM
Hey Barb, glad you made it! :)
You know it is very hard to compose a banana in a painting.
You did a really good job of making this one interesting.
I just thought, it looked just like the last one I had, until
I ate it. lol!!! Great job!!! Love the orange! Nickel

azulparsnip
12-09-2006, 06:54 PM
phew - I am glad you have extended the challenge (pantry stuff right?) until next week cause it will give me another chance at it. Guess we could do with a sandwich in one hand!!!!:rolleyes: It is cold here too.

azulparsnip
12-09-2006, 06:56 PM
Oh and I ordered that still life book (for 45 cents) and Art and Fear by Bayles.

Nickel
12-09-2006, 07:40 PM
Cool, I haven't yet order this book, in the process of not trying to burn supper...lol, I wonder if that book is a cookbook?
I seem to burn most all food lately.

I like that , sandwich in hand.
Anything I think to go with the kitchen is good, even a chair maybe?
All my food is hidden behind built-in cubbard doors. Not very exciting
for a painting, but I'll figure it out.

Stay warm Azulparsnip!

tyree
12-09-2006, 08:19 PM
nickel...that first painting is a stunner..wow..its quite lovely...hi barb...cool banana!!!! im glad were extending the pantry....tyree:wave: