PDA

View Full Version : Finishing Gouache

Bumble1
12-02-2006, 09:38 AM
Firstly Hi everyone!

I've just joined and am amazed at the huge amount of helpful and insightful people here!:clap:

I normally work in Oil/Ink, but i recently tried an abstract in Gouache on a Canvas Board 2F (24cmx19cm); now the question is how to preserve and display it?

From reading on here NOT to varnish it, i guess a frame and glass?
I really have no clue tbh... so any advice v helpful.

Many thanks in advance for your advice!

SJ :eek:

Richard Saylor
12-02-2006, 06:06 PM
You can varnish it, but it will look like an acrylic painting. (Might as well paint with acrylics.) I think gouache looks best in a frame under glass. As with anything (photos, watercolors, etc.), don't let the glass touch the painting.

Richard

Bumble1
12-06-2006, 03:47 AM
Thanks for the reply.

Can i bother you for a little advice of how best to frame them?
Whats the best method for keeping distance between glass and paint surface etc?
Thanks for the patience, but i'm sure all remember the terror of 'messing up' a piece because of lack of framing nouse :)

Cheers!

SJ

Richard Saylor
12-06-2006, 04:33 AM
Can i bother you for a little advice of how best to frame them?
Whats the best method for keeping distance between glass and paint surface etc?
Thanks for the patience, but i'm sure all remember the terror of 'messing up' a piece because of lack of framing nouse :)
I normally use a mat, but if you don't want that, there are also spacers which can be used around the edge between the glass and the painting. Any shop which does framing could advise you on that.

Of course, if you don't mind the paint surface having a sheen, you can varnish it with Krylon Kamar Varnish and frame it without glass.

Richard

mrs willow
12-10-2006, 04:01 PM
I usually frame underglass with a mat.However, I have also varnished, usually if i have painted on a watercolour board.Although, as Richard said,it does look more like an acrylic when varnished.
Sandy

Paulafv
12-17-2006, 07:50 PM
Has anyone tried the crafters mod podge to cover your paint? Or, would it wet and smear it? Just bought some mod poge and will use it, but wondering if I use it on my grndaughters poster paints if it will make a mess. Oh, will try and see on a test piece of course. Baby art must always be respected, as I was reminded the other day by a 23 mo. old. It's a wonder we all grew up to paint, school paints were not too bad when I was younger, and we all had #8 camel hair brushes and pretty good paper in Boston, but art was not a priority. Now, teaching to the test seems to take priority, so I make an effort to give decent paint supplies to the children I want to honor on their birthdays and Christmas in hopes that if the spark is there, it will kindle. At least they have a view of art and their use of it.

My wee grand uses mostly poster paints and has done well also in watercolor, from my leftover paint wells in the palette. She uses both ends of the brush and has advanced to using her fingers and hands and makes shapes, circles, ovals and lines. Her mother is also an artist. Fun to have a child who cries if you take away her "colors" (because you think the art has gone into water play.)

Sorry for the "book" - first time in this area, which I like. I'm a mixed media person and always have been. Whatever works, works for me. It's the result that counts. Pure watercolors are lovely, but only a few achieve them. Very few do it well.

I'm going into acrylics next, but will check in here because you produce such good work that is beautiful and lifts the spirit.

Merry Christmas,