PDA

View Full Version : Chp 10:The Practice And Science of Drawing

Nickel
11-30-2006, 08:28 PM
X
RHYTHM

Time to get back to the book. :D

The word rhythm is here used to signify the power possessed by lines, tones, and colours, by their ordering and arrangement, to affect us, somewhat as different notes and combinations of sound do in music.

Some may say that the lines are only the boundaries of the masses, and others that the masses are only the spaces between the lines. But whichever way you care to look at it, there are particular emotional qualities analogous to music that affect us in lines and line arrangements and also in tone or mass arrangements. And any power a picture may have to move us will be largely due to the rhythmic significance of this original planning.

And in art it is the same; all those who have aimed at an absolute perfection have usually ended in a deadness. The Greeks knew better than many of their imitators this vital necessity in art. In their most ideal work there is always that variety that gives character and life.

Here's a current thread down in the main classical forum on rhythm
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=371308

Sam Cree
12-07-2006, 09:42 PM
I agree with Speed on this - the layout is easily more important than the execution of the details. Everything rests on the composition, of which the rhythm is a major part.

Nickel
12-08-2006, 07:18 AM
Such wise words Sam! :thumbsup:

azulparsnip
12-11-2006, 11:28 AM
Yes, and once we have the idea arranging stuff can really be fun.

Nickel
12-11-2006, 01:15 PM
Hi Azulparsnip, lol, the idea, is the best isn't it!!!
I've not stopped yet, will pursue on. Chp 11 this week.
Hi Sam! Hi Debby! Busy time of the year.....on my. Nickel