PDA

View Full Version : Flaming Rose

Garbonzo
11-28-2006, 06:47 AM
I don't do a lot of scratchboard but I enjoy it when I do. This is a picture I did a while back and thought I'd share it. It's 8"x10" on cheap scratchpaper.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Nov-2006/92796-Burning_Rose.jpg

Obedec
11-28-2006, 09:35 AM
What a neat idea. I love the looseness of the flame with the control of the rose. So how was it colored? What did you use to make the flames (tool wise)? Great job! more please.
Karen

Bertoni
11-28-2006, 11:23 AM
Harold:
Am glad that you posted your Rose!! Great job on it!!!:thumbsup: I too would love to know how you put down the color??
Hope you'll be posting more of your scratchboard work here on the Forum!!!

Garbonzo
11-28-2006, 01:14 PM
Thanks Karen and Bertoni. The flames were done using a small brush that I made. I cut a few bristols off an old wire brush and sodered them in the end of a small brass tube. You can get different size tubes at the hardware store. I cut the tube at a comfortable length and then cut and arranged the bristols. Not as hard as it sounds, it's cheap and you can make whatever size scratcher you need. This one had about 5 small wire bristols.
I colorized the picture with light washes of acrylic paint. Red with a little orange for the rose and flouresent yellow and orange for the flame.

Jakeally
11-28-2006, 01:26 PM
Absolutely brilliant job .... :clap: I love it:clap: :clap:

Garbonzo
11-28-2006, 06:06 PM
Thankyou Chris, I really appreciate it. I'm pretty inexperienced at scratchboard so little successes mean a lot.

Diana Lee
11-28-2006, 06:26 PM
This image is beautiful.
Let me caution you about playing around with cheap products. One of my first pieces was done on a cheap board and after ten years the board crackled. It would be a shame to lose a piece like this Flaming Rose. It is better to use the cheap stuff for practising techniques on and use the good stuff for your creations. I would love to see more of your work.

Diana

Trilby
11-29-2006, 12:46 PM
What a fun and great piece. I'm impressed with how wellit's done, ocnsidering you said it was on cheap paper. I've used some of that stuff and found it horribly frustrating and hard to get good marks. thanks for the discription of your tool.
TJ

Garbonzo
11-29-2006, 10:22 PM
Thankyou Diana, I really appreciate the compliment. You are right about using the cheap stuff and I don't usually do it with other artwork but in this case I wasn't sure if scratchboard was something that I would be able to do or if I would enjoy the process. I did enjoy it but I try to do too many things sometimes and ended up putting it aside. Seeing some of the beautiful stuff posted here has kinda stirred my interest again.

Garbonzo
11-29-2006, 10:36 PM
Thankyou TJ. You are very kind. I guess I don't know what it is to use the good stuff. This paper came 5 or 6 sheets in a package for less than 10 dollars. I had to scratch pretty carefully because it's so thin but I never thought much about there being a better surface to work with. The worst was how the paper warped when I tried to add some color to it. I made the tool because I didn't want to buy something if I wasn't sure I would like scratchboard or not. It worked great though.

Obedec
11-30-2006, 07:31 PM
Warning Will Robinson, Warning!!!! You get the good stuff and you'll be a full time scratcher too!!! LOL.
Karen

Garbonzo
12-01-2006, 07:24 AM
Thanks Karen, I'm sure it would make a world of difference. I'm afraid that if I tried the good stuff I wouldn't get any sleep for a while. Oh well who needs that stuff anyway it's the artwork that's important.