PDA

View Full Version : My first egg tempera- copy of classical art

artbyjune
11-27-2006, 12:41 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Nov-2006/11473-BGfiny1.jpg

:wave:
Hi all, this is my first try of egg tempera, using tube watercolour paint mixed with egg yolk, on traditional gesso hardboard panel, 5 by 7 ins.

(I started with watercolours to see if I liked the medium and will go on to use dry pigment at a later date)

This is a workshop piece from the fabulous Italian Renaissance workshop by David Rourke, over in the classical forum.:thumbsup: Copy of a portrait by Botticelli. I chose this girl because she seemed most 'modern' of his sitters.

I must admit I really like this medium. It gives richer results than my oils to date. This might be due to the effects of the medium or I might just be more in tune with it than with oils.

This first attempt probably has things that could be improved about it, but I'm fairly happy with the result.

I will definitely be trying more egg tempera work...that's my conclusion.:wink2:

Sonia
11-27-2006, 12:51 PM
This is definitely a success. I have tried egg yolk with watercolour, but really only little doodles. You have spurred me on to have another go (along with all the other exciting techniques I keep promising myself!!).

JamieWG
11-28-2006, 07:23 PM
Okay, now I have to confess that I'm tempted too! Using tube watercolors as a base to start just makes it sound too easy to resist. Good job with capturing the old world feel of the painting.

Jamie

artbyjune
11-29-2006, 09:47 AM
Hi Jamie and Sonia. I hope you try out tempera using watercolour paint. Its a nice n easy way in. Its very lovely to use.

I am hooked. I'll try another one with watercolour and egg yolk (50/50 mix) and then invest in dry pigments if I decide to go on further with this medium.

Dallen
12-07-2006, 09:28 PM
Nicely done!