PDA

View Full Version : Canon S3 for Pet Photography?

darlingart
11-27-2006, 06:37 AM
Hello

This is my first venture into this forum, and I was hoping to get some advice as to whether my Canon S3 is suitable for Pet Photography on a semi professional level - on site (client's home/park/beach etc) rather than in studio. And if it is, what additional equipment am I likely to need?

I am actually a pet portrait artist and I am currently contemplating expaning my busines to include pet photography - initially at least it would be for reference materials for commissioned artwork, but I am thinking along the lines of doing a one or two hour photo shoot, and for $80 or so, giving the client a disk of all the photos plus one or two prints (I would probably retain copyright for my artwork and/or prints, so wouldn't mind charging less, but enough to cover my time). I do love photography and would like to get into it on a more professional level in the future, but I need a lot of experience first, and this is one way to get it!

Any comments and/or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Michelle

Windy
11-27-2006, 08:33 PM
You could get some nice images out of it I am sure.
As far as providing images for the client. You do not ever give up copyright to your images. You sell them the right to use the images in a limited way. (you do not want them appearing in print attributed to someone who has not taken them). Make sure you have a contract in place which the client signs which clearly states what they can use the images for. Do not ever undersell yourself (even when you are starting out). If you have a good product then the clients will pay.
Have a chat to meriadoc, she does pet photography.

darlingart
11-28-2006, 10:08 AM
Thanks Wendy!

I know the whole thing about undercharging is true, I think it is that whole insecure artist thing, LOL or maybe its just that not having a $2000 camera makes it harder to justify a higher fee!

Michelle

Windy
11-28-2006, 05:14 PM
Thanks Wendy!

I know the whole thing about undercharging is true, I think it is that whole insecure artist thing, LOL or maybe its just that not having a $2000 camera makes it harder to justify a higher fee!

Michelle

Whoa girl it is not the price of the camera that makes the photographer it is the quality of the images. Would you charge less for a painted pic becuase it was done in Acrylics rather than Oil because Acrylics are cheaper? Absolutely not!
A good mentor type person actually once said, start as you mean to go on. If you start cheap then people will always expect cheap. Work out what others are charging for a similar service and charge accordingly.
It was interesting to note that the mentor type commented that they started off offering cheap and had to justify to all the hagglers that the fee was reasonable, he raised his prices to what he thought would be way too expensive and found that his work was walking out the door. (I am not saying this would happen to all of us and we do have to establish).
By all means take lots and lots of practice stuff and get to the point where you are very comfortable with your work. You may want to do a barter at that stage, a print for allowing them to use their pet as a model perhaps, but not the whole deal that you are thinking of doing professionally, you want to whett their appetite and give them a reason to spend money with you.
Make sure you get a model/property release if you are going to use the images for painting or promotion. (or even if you "may" do at some stage in the future)

Oldthumbs
11-29-2006, 09:32 AM
I agree with Wendy that the final product is more the result of the eye of the photographer than the price of the equipment.

I don't have any direct experience with that particular camera, but from reading reviews it sounds like it should turn out some acceptable results shooting at the highest quality settings. The one negative that I read that might affect you is that the camera doesn't do real well in its "Sports" mode, meaning continuous focusing on action subjects. If you try to capture pets in motion, this might be a problem.

Ray

darlingart
12-03-2006, 04:04 AM
LOL Wendy I wouldn't have looked at it that way, so thankyou very much for giving me a different perspective!

I am having a ball at the moment, just doing freebies, which to be honest are worth much more than their weight in gold because I have learnt so much already.

My camera does take some beautiful shots, although I am still coming to terms with all the manual controls at the moment, LOL so the % of good shots I am getting is a lot lower than when I was just using the manual setting.

I do feel like I am in brain overload at the moment, so I am hunting for specific settings for the type of photography I want to take so that I can just practice with that instead of proceeding in the very dis-organized and confusing fashion that I am doing at the moment;)

These are some of the photos I have taken in the past week that I am happy with - although I am well aware that they could be much better!

Cheers

Michelle

Windy
12-03-2006, 05:22 AM
Looks like you are getting some nice shots, I was given advice of keeping to shutter priority when doing sport, I would suggest giving that a go.

darlingart
12-04-2006, 09:31 PM
Thanks Wendy, I will give that a go!

My animals are so sick of my camera so I have found another victim, er I mean subject, to shoot this afternoon:D

Cheers

Michelle

Windy
12-04-2006, 09:50 PM
hehe good luck with your "um" victim :lol: