PDA

View Full Version : My latest round with egg tempera

richlll
11-26-2006, 04:22 PM
6x8" on panel, egg Tempera, Pomegranate...with detail. Thanks for looking.Rich

richlll
11-26-2006, 05:34 PM
Lemon-7x9" -egg tempera on board. This mixture of egg tempera has damar added to it, the recipe is:

yolk:damar:water at 1:1:1

Rich

Richard Saylor
11-27-2006, 02:10 AM
Beautiful work, Rich! It makes me want to try egg tempera.

Richard

richlll
11-27-2006, 02:48 AM
Beautiful work, Rich! It makes me want to try egg tempera.

Richard

Cool, you should try it, and thanks! If you want to venture out into the "egg" I'd suggest that you keep it simple, use yolk and water 1:1 and work in a cross-hatch style thinking like a watercolorist, thin layers and light to dark, you can add the lights later too but you can't be timid about it. The ground is crucial, prepare a traditional ground with bunny glue. Have fun!! Rich

artbyjune
11-27-2006, 12:27 PM
I love that pomegranate!!

Katherine T
11-29-2006, 08:45 AM
The pomegranate is gorgeous - can you say something about how you approached this?

richlll
11-29-2006, 11:36 AM
The pomegranate is gorgeous - can you say something about how you approached this?

Thank you much.

My approach was simple really.....I snuck up on it....:lol: kidding of course.... the best answer is above with the addition of using damar, but I don't recommend that for your first one it dries faster with damar but it it also darkens the pigment, the true beauty of egg-tempered paint is that it is translucent. Let it dry for a month and then you can buff it out, it takes a year to dry and dries harder than oil. Also a note about the pigment, you prepare a pigment paste with just water and mix into the freshly made yolk:water 1:1. for your white use zinc white mostly.

Please refer to this link (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5156542&postcount=4), although it is in the answer above this will take you there pronto.

Give it a try!

Rich

Katherine T
11-29-2006, 12:02 PM
Why are you using damar? I don't see any mention of that on any of the egg tempera sites.

Also I was thinking more about the approach you used re the particular pigment colours. I know it's light to dark

richlll
11-29-2006, 01:01 PM
Why are you using damar? I don't see any mention of that on any of the egg tempera sites.

Also I was thinking more about the approach you used re the particular pigment colours. I know it's light to dark

Damar dries it much faster and also darkens it, you will add 2 values varnishing later if you use damar so you have to take that into account if you are plan to varnish later. There are many "recipes" for egg tempera, look at Ralph Meyer's book "200 Formulas for artists".

I use CMY + zinc white for my pigments. CMY referring to cyan, magenta and yellow. If you are a purist there are certainly colors you'll want to add such as those considered to be historical. I am also a firm believer in the Wilcox School of Color pigments and color combinations, I use Wilcox color theory for my oil paintings.

richlll
11-29-2006, 01:19 PM
I don't see any mention of that on any of the egg tempera sites.

I'd be interested in the sites you know of, do you have any links? I've only painted about seven egg-temp paintings so I'm still learning to say the least.

Katherine T
11-29-2006, 01:56 PM
Thanks - but which pigments are you using for CMY?

I'm very much at the learning stage but I've popped all the sites I've found into a squidoo lens here

Egg Tempera - Resources for Artists (http://www.squidoo.com/eggtempera/)

Gilberte
11-29-2006, 01:57 PM
I have a weakness for egg tempera painters.

Bravo !

richlll
11-29-2006, 02:07 PM
Thanks - but which pigments are you using for CMY?

I'm very much at the learning stage but I've popped all the sites I've found into a squidoo lens here

I like Don Jusko's pigment picks for CMY, and that is what I used for these paintings, he is at realcolorwheel.com But I will also try any pigment that I think is transparent enough to experiment, I buy all of my pigments at Kremer.com

richlll
11-29-2006, 02:12 PM
I've popped all the sites I've found into a squidoo lens here

Wow.....:eek: Jackpot!! Thanks! How will I get any work done now looking at all these great links. Rich

richlll
11-29-2006, 02:16 PM
Has anyone seen this (http://www.brandywinemuseumshop.org/catalog/index.cfm?&ItemID=AA3F70F6-39C8-4307-82F60C247CAC3B13&display=detail)video? How is it for instuction purposes?

studiogarcia
12-06-2006, 01:44 PM
The video is very interesting. It presents a traditional method of preparing a panel with linen. It details the process of creating the ink underpainting and the subsequent layers of paint in a traditional method. Alot of the technical details are good and can be used to paint more modern paintings as well since the concepts don't change (i.e. preparing the egg binder, tempering pigments, applying paint to the substrate, etc.)

richlll
12-06-2006, 01:51 PM
The video is very interesting. It presents a tradi...

Thanks Studio-G: It's on my Christmas list now. :clap: I may have seen another demo like the prep method that you mention wherein the artist used christabolite in the gesso, I'm guessing this may be along the same lines, I can only imagine the glow and richness of doing this but I'll find out soon, I hope. Rich

richlll
12-06-2006, 02:04 PM
Hi studiogarcia:

I really like your website, very informative and lots of fine work. I notice that you mention varnishing and that the colors get deeper, I have noticed this also. Do you wait a month before varnishing? Or, how soon do you varnish? Do you use use damar? Also do you wipe first with any solvent? Rich

studiogarcia
12-06-2006, 02:09 PM
You're welcome.

I do not varnish any my paintings so I can't really provide any useful advice in that regard. However, if you get Koo Schadler's book she goes into some detail about the process of varnishing. Her book is probably the best and most comprehensive modern resource on painting in egg tempera. Every egg tempera artist should have it in their studio.

http://www.kooschadler.com/thebook.htm

Asher
12-08-2006, 12:41 AM
Love the pomegranate and the scumbled textures of the background and foreground.

After a couple of years of only doing colored pencil, I've decided to broaden my arsenal and am beginning to experiment with egg tempera, casein, and acrylics. I'm hesitant about getting involved in working with pigments and formulating my own egg tempera paints. Has anyone here worked with the tubed egg temperas (Sennelier, and Daler-Rowney)? If you have I'd like to know how you've fared. Thanks.

Sanford

Gilberte
12-08-2006, 12:37 PM
Here is one of my first attempts with egg tempera tubes, painted as if it were a watercolor, very diluted (Daler and Rowney).

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Dec-2006/9813-bl.bos.jpg

Have a wonderful weekend. :wave:

Asher
12-08-2006, 01:37 PM
Beautifully done, Gilberte! Your painting is brimming with light. Thanks for showing me that you can do beautiful work with tube et's.

What timing. As I was looking at your post, FedEx delivered my Daler-Rowney starter set (along with a couple of other colors). I guess I'm about to find out how rusty my brush painting skills have become.

Thanks. You have a wonderful weekend, as well.:cat:

Sanford

Paulafv
12-17-2006, 07:59 PM
I read somewhere, maybe Handprint, that Wilcox's color theory was wrong.

Hmmm.

Cyan, Magenta, yellow is supposed to be correct, because it is the color of light. So far, I've found it a good mix, if you practice mixing.

Paula

richlll
01-10-2007, 04:48 PM
I read somewhere, maybe Handprint, that Wilcox's color theory was wrong.

Hmmm.

Cyan, Magenta, yellow is supposed to be correct, because it is the color of light. So far, I've found it a good mix, if you practice mixing.

Paula

I also like CMY (very much) but I was told that you need to use Ult Blue in combination with CMY to get the very dark blues that may be needed; it has something to do with the crystal structure. Also for me CMY is very intuitive. But I'll probably never get away from using burnt sienna and ult blue in my oil painting. Rich