PDA

View Full Version : Just wanted to share

kjsspot
04-03-2002, 06:44 PM
Hi ya'll. I finished a painting and I thought it came out fairly decent. It's 36x24" Acrylic on Canvas. In the grey area there is extra coarse pumice medium mixed in. I don't know how well that shows in the picture. =)

http://www.kjmontoya.com/concepts/WIP.jpg

hlee
04-03-2002, 07:06 PM
Rich, intense colours ... so peaceful ... sort of struck me as a world in which all living things are each in their own little world, their own space ... the freedom to do different things in one spot ... a wonderful garden shared ...

Ah, I'm getting too sentimental. But quite lovely - the colour and form of the two men in the foreground's a nice surprise, good contrast to the green bground. Hope you won't find this question annoying ... why were greys and blacks chosen?

kjsspot
04-03-2002, 07:13 PM
THANK you! =) As I mentioned, in the grey areas there is course pumice mixed in. They are meant to represent stone or cement. Not my first choice, but I had to fit the project description. LoL LoL Anyway, that actually is what sparked the idea. I just would have liked to have been able to change it. <g>

hlee
04-03-2002, 07:30 PM
Well, cheer up ... maybe you shouldn't - my opinion anyway - because it works, makes the painting a bit enigmatic actually.

Coarse pumice mixed in, you say? That's interesting ... actually mixed into the acrylic, or sprinkled on top? And which project was it?

kjsspot
04-03-2002, 07:36 PM
LoL Thank you!! Yes, it's course pumice acrylic medium. It's added to the paint (or more like the paint is added to the medium. LoL) It becomes part of the paint. Liqitex makes a lot of very interesting mediums.

I'm in college getting my BFA in Studio Art. Taking forever too it seems. LoL This project was to incorporate texture into the painting. Or we could have gone with mixed media as well. But, IMHO at least, there's way too MUCH mixed media at college. LoL I mean, mixed media is great, but it's not the be all end all that they seem to portray it as. LoL

IRDOC
04-04-2002, 08:29 AM
an intresting painting, keep up the good work
Danny

vallarta
04-04-2002, 06:17 PM
You have gone beyond the point of belief. The painting with the girl (alive) and the two men (dead) is too much. I would think it is not believeable.

vallarta

perry31415
04-05-2002, 12:45 PM
I saw the two men as statues.

For the life of me I see one man with a gun to his head. It is his back I'm sure.

This seems to be several paintings. I would love to see the girl enjoying life in a nice woodland scene. Maybe a smaller dove in the distance.

The dove is rendered well, but seems to be one of three competing focal points.

This reminds me of an exercise we used to get in class where we had to paint three things that didn't seem to be related. I remember a garden rake, texas long horns and a old wooden box. Oh well I am drifting a bit.

CathyD
04-05-2002, 08:43 PM
After reading everone's comments, I had to take a second look!

I thought the men looked like statues, very effective use of the pumice. You did a great job on the little girl, I would think she would be the focal point. The other things compete to be the focal point. The size of the bird and the position of the statues make your eye kind of jump around from one thing to the next instead of gently leading you to the focal point. But each thing is done very well.

I enjoyed looking at this, thanks for sharing!
Cathy

kjsspot
04-07-2002, 09:29 PM
Thank you all for your comments! I truly appreciate them! I think if I were to redo this painting, I would actually bring the dove closer in and push the girl and the statues further back. I also think that that I would put it on a larger canvas so it would not be quite as crowded. LoL