PDA

View Full Version : Week 48 Classical Art Journey

Nickel
11-25-2006, 07:07 PM
Hi and Welcome to week 48 Classical Art Journey :wave:

You are welcome to join us.
We are a small friendly group who work on our art each week.
It maybe a quick study, it maybe a master study, it maybe from life.

We try to help each other with kindness. That's not to say we won't
tell you the head is cocked werid or the legs are too long. Or ask what
is it? We study a bit of everything classical, impression is included.

And you might see one of our cats or dogs or something else pop in.
You get to chose your topic and share it with us.
That's why it's called a journey. Each week is different.

Any media is welcome too!

I hope I've covered what this is we do here, if not just ask. :wave:

Here is a nice tempera on panel to start our week!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Nov-2006/39040-girl.jpg

Giovanni Bellini.
The Infant Bacchus.
c. 1505-10.
Tempera on panel.
48x36.8 cm.
The National Gallery of Art,
Washington, DC, USA

Ok, here is an interesting program on Bellini by the IMA Indianapolis Museum of Art. Bellini: Creating & Re-Creating

Don't be too quick to click through as it is sort of like a video, but not, and you'll see how to prepare a panel for painting, how to transfer a cartoon to panel, in fact, 3 different ways. Also how to paint the panel in a way Bellini would have used. Also, conservation on one of his paintings. Before and after.

Belliniís Workshop
Making Copies
Invisible Bellini
Conservation
Credits

http://www.ima-art.org/bellini/index.html

You will enjoy seeing this artist draw and paint in a video. Each are about 5 minutes. Lots to learn by just looking. :wave:

Scott Pohlschmidt

Video: Watch Scott Draw A Portrait
http://scottpohlschmidt.com/go.php?page=video2

Video: Watch Scott Painting A Portrait
http://scottpohlschmidt.com/go.php?page=video1

Have a great week everyone and make art!
Nickel

PushingPixels
11-25-2006, 07:36 PM
Loved the links!! I have always been interested in restoration and the videos were wonderful!!:clap:

Nickel
11-25-2006, 07:47 PM
Thanks Barb, I found the links fun and interesting too!
Glad to get some feedback on them. :D

tyree
11-26-2006, 07:37 PM
HI NICKEL..HI ALL!!! i want to check out the portrait video, as soon as my computer stops acting wierd:p Made it thru my work week:angel: now...what to draw or paint this week...hmmmm....Have a great week everyone!!!! tyree:wave:

azulparsnip
11-27-2006, 09:24 AM
Hi Nickel, just printed a copy of Charles Courtney Curran's In the Luxemborg Garden ......I have had it on my mind for the last week, so I'm taking the que and gonna copy it this week. I am still touring the met museum gallery tour of Americans in Paris.
These links look great. Guess I'll stay up tonight and check 'em out.
Have a great day - do some art:heart: :heart: :heart:

Granby
11-27-2006, 10:50 AM
Hello everyone,
Great links Nickel, thanks for hosting another week. If I can pry the finished cinderella painting away from my 6yr old daughter I'll post the finished version. It turned out great and she loves it. She refuses to let anyone hang it on the wall. She is keeping it in her toybox, and hauls it out to look at and carries it around to the little tea parties she is always organizing all over the house.

I had a heck of time painting those little mice, it is so hard to paint detailed stuff with oil paint. Is there a secret to detailed work that I'm missing or something?

Pixels, that DaVinci hanging curtain was so cool, I would have bought that in a second. Great work last week everyone.

Its going to be hard to keep up with the holidays approaching - but here is a painting I've been fiddling with. After a painting 'Attack on a Spanish Galleon' by famous American Illustrator Howard Pyle.

Original Image: http://www.goodart.org/blog/HowardPyle-AttackOnAGalleon1905Large.jpg (Caution - kind of big - 380k)

This was just a fun no stress painting that was a good excuse to schlop a bunch of paint on a canvas. Have a great week everyone.

Nickel
11-27-2006, 10:11 PM
Hi Barb, Susan, Granby, Azulparsnip!
Hope your comp is behaving tonight Susan.
Granby, nice painting, love the blues and golds. It's a happy painting.
Azulparsnip, I don't know this painting right off, but I can't wait to see
what you do! I got a few minutes in today to sketch, did my hand and a
few noses. Both areas I want to improve in drawing.
So you all have any ideas of what you want to work on
next year? Just think about it and either pm me or post here
in a thread. I know so many things I'd like to get into, just
never enough time to do them all. Maybe we could try our hand
at sketching the same picture once in awhile. Discuss what
we think about whatever. Ok, going to get an early night
in. Take care. Nickel

tyree
11-28-2006, 10:13 PM
granby...nice!!! great bold colour, and movement....i think that would be neat nickel..having a drawing that we all would work on...and still do our weekly posts also:wink2: i worked on my photos yesterday from my trip...i actually took a couple of good ones..no way near barbs level..your work is beautiful!!!! did some sketching tonight,,,,little rusty at it i am:envy: ....tyree

tyree
11-28-2006, 10:24 PM
nickel...i still cant get scott p. portrait studio to work for me...but ...i did get to look at barbs mono lake, cal. pics tonight...wow.....is our mony..back from austria yet..??? time to call it a night.....tyree:heart:

Mony G
11-29-2006, 04:23 AM
Hi !... Yeah, I'm back from Austria where I visited The "Kristallwelten" near Innsbruck...which is the museum dedicated to Swarovski Crystal...

http://kristallwelten.swarovski.com/site/website.php?id=/index/englisch/tour.htm

...nothing "classical"... but a really interesting experience I was interested in making !
There is already a great "Christmasey air" around in Tyrol... I took almost 200 pictures of Innsbruck and the Xmas market and decorations, I loved it!

Sorry for not having anything new to feature for now this week... but you sure put in some good stuff in last week !... as soon as I have time.. I'll take a look at the video too!

Good bye for now from a very busy Mony :wave:

Nickel
11-29-2006, 06:17 PM
nickel...i still cant get scott p. portrait studio to work for me ..tyree:heart:

Hi Susan, I checked he used Adobe Flash Player 9, here is the link to download if you don't have it. http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/
Sometimes it's the browser too. A lot of new stuff is only playing on Firefox.
But this will play with IE. Good luck, I hope this will work for you. :wave:

Mony, welcome back, and thanks for the link.....I bet your dazzled after this trip :D Looks like it was fun!

I've spent the day doing honey dew stuff......honey do this and honey do that.

Going to try and escape to do some honey do art. :wave:

tyree
11-29-2006, 08:50 PM
I got e mail today from people i met in Israel and Spain whilst on my vacation, how neat.....mony...what a great getaway you had...thanks for the neat site...thanks nickel i shall try this again.....http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Nov-2006/65063-bedroom.jpg i worked on this last nite for the d/s thread...do you all like it??? its a little different for me...mech pencil, graphite on smooth bristol....tyree:wave:

Mony G
11-30-2006, 01:44 AM
:thumbsup: Tyree, I like it ! great shadows on the pillow... your're getting better and better every week ... I really like it , I do :clap: !!

Yes, mine was a dazzling trip... but worth making !

Goodbye for now and all the best... from Italy

Mony

Granby
11-30-2006, 09:50 AM
Great Job Tyree! I really like it too. You acheived a really great sense of depth, and I love the shadows on the pillow also. (I find it much harder to acheive good depth like this in a drawing than a painting). Great work..

azulparsnip
11-30-2006, 10:30 AM
tyree - that is a pleasant piece. I like the play of the light on the wall, lamp, bed......

Nickel
11-30-2006, 10:32 AM
Hey Susan, I like it too! Tell me about how you did the bedspread.
It has a most delightful design to it! Best Nickel

tyree
11-30-2006, 09:22 PM
gosh...you all are too kind!!! thank you...nickel...i did swirls over and over, all around then went back in with darkening areas with straight lines...hope this makes sense:p tyree:D

katsarecool
11-30-2006, 09:26 PM
Hello, I just wandered around and found myself here. Great topic! Nice, nice work!

PushingPixels
12-01-2006, 12:35 AM
Thanks for the link Mony that is one jazzy web site. The museum must have been awesome. How sweet Granby. Your little granddaughter just might be a future artist.

Tyree I love this one shows such subtle tonal values, well done!! Those darn computers!!!!!