PDA

View Full Version : What is the best pastel easel set up?

CLS Portrait Artist
11-23-2006, 06:27 PM
I'm just starting to paint in pastels and I was wondering what kinds of pastel easel set ups or pochade boxes are the favorites of all of you? Please let me know as I am searching the online art stores right now and hope to buy one in the next couple of days. Thanking you all in advance for your time? :wave:

AnnieA
11-24-2006, 02:45 PM
I use a French easel, which has it's plusses and minuses. It's nice because it is so portable and fairly small. I can move it fairly easily anywhere - in my dining room, bedroom, or kitchen, if I want - or outside. I can even set it up as a table easel, by putting it up on my drawing table without extending the legs. It's small size means when I'm not using it, it can be folded up out of the way, a big plus. But it isn't quite as stable an easel as the larger ones are, there's a limit on the size of surface you can use with one, and I find that the amount of space taken up by that long rear leg is sometimes inconvenient. I've also read that it seems too heavy for some of those who do a lot of plein aire painting.

But that's just one person's opinion. There have been several threads about easels in this forum. To find them, you could do a search (the search tool is on the lowest blue band at the top of the Pastel Talk forum page, on the far right). Choice of easel does seem to be one of those things that depends a lot on personal preference and circumstances. One thing that many pastellists look for in an easel is the ability to tip the surface forward, so the loose pastel particles that may fall as one is painting fall forward into a tray, rather than on the lower parts of the painting. Just a tiny tilt will do the trick.

If you have more specific questions than are answered by those past threads, just ask. And welcome to the Pastel Forum! :wave:

When you do buy one, let us know what you decide and how it works for you. :)